Which hydraulic brake line lock? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Which hydraulic brake line lock?

As some of you remember, I converted my 2006 Prowler to 4 wheel disc brakes. I love the brakes, but the only downside was that I had to eliminate my parking brake. So I'm looking for a suitable substitute. I was looking at adding a hydraulic line lock, but there are different styles. I know nothing about these systems, but thought maybe one of you do. What are the pros and cons of each? Do I need to worry about the electrical ones sucking power all the time? If you guys have other ideas, I'm all ears....

The cheapest option are the manual push knobs: JEGS Performance Products 63028 JEGS Hydraulic Brake Lock

Other options are these solenoid controlled line locks: Hurst Roll Control Kits 1745000 - SummitRacing.com

http://hurst-shifters.com/wp-content...ds/5671518.pdf

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 05:59 AM
de3
Loyal Member

RD would know the best one to use,I am sure he has one on his race car.Shane I was talking to pcpoffroad and he told me that was the first thing they did was scrap the factory E-BRAKE and install a line lock.with mine still working good I am not gonna fool with it yet.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Well I read these comments below on the Hurst system. Although most everything states not to replace emergency brake. I understand they are probably covering their a**. I just want to know real world what would work for my setup? I was looking at trying to use a 1000 emergency brake, but looks like they changed too much in setup between my 2006 and the 1000's. Didn't look to be cost effective, and looked to be some welding/modification required. So I was wondering if the line lock would work. Was primarily planning on doing the manual one. But looking for info from the experienced.

CAUTION:
The Hurst Roll Control is designed primarily for high performance race cars to momentarily
(maximum of 60 seconds) keep the front brakes engaged while staging for a drag race. It will not safely function as
a long term brake holding device. It should never be used as a temporary brake holding device in place of a parking
brake or of a driver depressing the brake pedal. The Hurst Roll Control is recommended for use during closed track

events and competitive driving venues
ONLY!

-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by de3 View Post
RD would know the best one to use,I am sure he has one on his race car.Shane I was talking to pcpoffroad and he told me that was the first thing they did was scrap the factory E-BRAKE and install a line lock.with mine still working good I am not gonna fool with it yet.
Can you ask them what line lock they have had good results with?

post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:58 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by out west View Post
Can you ask them what line lock they have had good results with?
I will call and ask them today,how he told me how it worked a couple of years ago,I believe you just shove down on the brake peddle pull out or push in the knob,and to release just shove down on the peddle.not real sure.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by de3 View Post
I will call and ask them today,how he told me how it worked a couple of years ago,I believe you just shove down on the brake peddle pull out or push in the knob,and to release just shove down on the peddle.not real sure.
your right de3, the hydraulic brake holds the fluid pressure that you applied with your foot pedal. It should hold for eternity as long as there is no leaks in your line. Just remember that if you open the fluid system for repairs, leak, line breakage, etc. the switch would maybe need to be bled off any air off as well. Seem to be good. Only thing with this type of lock is that you open up a potential for another site that the line could leak from.
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:10 AM
Founding Member

Some members have used line locks and really liked them. Keep in mind you may need to removed some of the brake hose. It can flex which will allow the lock to release.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertcat View Post
Some members have used line locks and really liked them. Keep in mind you may need to removed some of the brake hose. It can flex which will allow the lock to release.
...I don't remember the brand, but the one I was familiar with had steel lines going into it.
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertcat View Post
I was planning on having Techna-Fit build me two steel braided lines to run to the line lock since they built me my rear lines for affordable (leaning towards manual one). As far as my understanding of it, you run line from MC to input of line lock, and output line runs back to MC. Is this correct? I planned on running it to my rear brake connection since it only has one connection at MC and my fronts already have two.

Tell me this, if it is hooked to the rear connection of the MC, push down pedal and then lock it, is it like having all 4 wheels locked or would it just be the rears (or whichever connection you hook it to)?

post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by out west View Post
I was planning on having Techna-Fit build me two steel braided lines to run to the line lock since they built me my rear lines for affordable (leaning towards manual one). As far as my understanding of it, you run line from MC to input of line lock, and output line runs back to MC. Is this correct? I planned on running it to my rear brake connection since it only has one connection at MC and my fronts already have two.

Tell me this, if it is hooked to the rear connection of the MC, push down pedal and then lock it, is it like having all 4 wheels locked or would it just be the rears (or whichever connection you hook it to)?
...should hold pressure on the system that it is tied to. If it is installed between the master cylinder and metering block all the brakes attached to the block should lock if brake pads properly adjusted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement