Dynatek issues - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Dynatek issues

Yesterday was not a good day for my machine. Last week I had intalled a brand new Dynatek FS cdi and took it out and it worked awesome. No problems. Yesterday, I went to start the machine and the battery was dead. Hooked it up to a charger and gave it a fast charge for an hour and a half. Wouldn't start. Jumped it with my truck battery and it started but ran rough and wouldn't idle for crap. Once off the jumper cables, it would just die. Figured it was a bad battery. Spent $100 getting a replacement. Put it in it and she fired up and ran...but still a bit rough. Loaded up the machine and took it out.

We were about 1.5 miles from the trailer on a sweet sandy road when a the guage immediately let my know it was overheating. I shut her down and waited for 30 minutes, started it back up and headed back towards the trailer. No sooner did we hit the main road than the temperature warning kick back on. I noticed the radiator fan also was not kicking on. So I shut her down again, grabbed by daughters quad, grabbed by truck, loaded up the machine and went home.

I figured there might be mud still caught up in the fan that might be keeping it from kicking on. When I got home I pressure washed the fan area again and went to restart the machine to let it run long enough to see if the fan kicks on and if it overheats.

Guess what: THE NEW BATTERY WAS DEAD!

So I did the only thing I could think of and unhooked the Dynatek CDI and reconnected all the stock harnesses. I put the charger on the battery and let it charge for an hour. Came back out and she started back up and ran great. Let it fun for 30 minutes and it didn't overheat (but I never heard the fan run each time I checked it's still in question).

Let it finish charging and took it off the charger when it was full at 9pm. Let it sit overnight and checked it this morning. Started right up.

So I'm pretty sure my Dynatek CDI was the issue. For whatever reason, it was draining the battery and not running quite right. Wierd because my initial run last weekend with it went awesome. Now...it's killing battery's (and fast) and causing my motor to overheat. Hmmmm.

09 Prowler 700 XTX, Dynatek FS cdi and coil kit, Maxxis Bighorns, Warn 3500 lb winch, factory windshield/wiper and roof, Trail Armor doors, cage chopped 4", BEARD rear bench seat w/ 4 point harnesses, custom built extended cage. Rockford Fosgate RFX9400 marine stereo, Scosche 6.5' 3-way speakers in custom built overhead console and MB Quart NAU260 marine amplifier. Cobra CB. Sunpro volt, oil pressure and water temp gauges. Custom gauge plate built by RD. Peel 7 Seal lined doghouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 09:34 AM
de3
Loyal Member

I could see the Dynatek making it run rough,but I dont understand with the key off how it would drain the battery.anythings possibly.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Honestly...I don't get it either. It's not the stator, as when the machine is running, it's delivering 14.5 volts constant. Once off it drops to 12 volts. I know the EFI tends to be a constant (but minute normally) drain even with the key off, and I'm not sure if the Dynatek box just amplifed it. But I'm talking it was a QUICK drain. That new, fully charged, battery was dead within 5 hours of install. Once switched back to the factory harness, it was good overnight. I rechecked the instructions to make sure I didn't make a mistake on the installation, but everything was correct. There's really no way to NOT get the installation right on those because the Prowlers harnesses are very specific to each item.

Here's hoping Dynatek has good customer service.

09 Prowler 700 XTX, Dynatek FS cdi and coil kit, Maxxis Bighorns, Warn 3500 lb winch, factory windshield/wiper and roof, Trail Armor doors, cage chopped 4", BEARD rear bench seat w/ 4 point harnesses, custom built extended cage. Rockford Fosgate RFX9400 marine stereo, Scosche 6.5' 3-way speakers in custom built overhead console and MB Quart NAU260 marine amplifier. Cobra CB. Sunpro volt, oil pressure and water temp gauges. Custom gauge plate built by RD. Peel 7 Seal lined doghouse.

post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 11:19 AM

I would suggest you get a hold of Dynatek and ask them. their customer service is pretty good. I can't imagine why it would be draining your battery but might be something defective in the Dynatek unit. I've never had those issues (knock on wood) but I hope you get it fixed promptly.. let us know how you make out.

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around
post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 03:44 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostxProwler View Post
I would suggest you get a hold of Dynatek and ask them. their customer service is pretty good. I can't imagine why it would be draining your battery but might be something defective in the Dynatek unit. I've never had those issues (knock on wood) but I hope you get it fixed promptly.. let us know how you make out.
I just bought mine the other day it has a year warranty.My unit is a cdi yours is a ECU box yours is for F/I set ups,but I still dont know why It would drain battery with key off.I will make a call monday and see what I can find out for you.

post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Yesterday I had more time to dig around on my machine and troubleshoot.

1) My overheating issue wasn't caused by the Dynatek issue. The fuse for the fan relay had popped. Either happend when I swapped the battery out for the new one or there was enough mud caked in the fan shroud that it overloaded the circuit when it tried to kick on. Cheap, easy fix.

2) The Dynatek box is definitely the culprit for killing my battery and running rough. Stock harness & cdi setup runs great and maintains a charge. The moment I reconnect the Dynatek setup, it stumbles and wont charge the battery. Maintains a hard battery drain even with the ignition off. Going to call ATV Galaxy (who I purchased it through) to see if they will exchange it. I've heard their customer service is pretty good.

Best I can figure is that the Dynatek box got water up in it and caused the issue. It worked great the day after install, but the issues started after I had taken the Prowler to the pressure washer to clean out all the mud. Water proof it is not. After looking closer at the box, it doesn't have a good seal around where the wiring enters. Once I get my replacement, I'm going to figure out a better way to mount it to protect it from the elements (after I silicone the heck out of that entry port).

post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Just got off the phone with Dynatek. Great customer service so far. Will be sending in my faulty unit for inspection tomorrow. Should have a replacement by next week.

post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 11:08 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavic19 View Post
Just got off the phone with Dynatek. Great customer service so far. Will be sending in my faulty unit for inspection tomorrow. Should have a replacement by next week.
good news,Mavic when you install new box use diaelectric grease on your plug in ports.glad you found your issues.

post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 11:30 AM

I'm with de3... dielectric grease should help it keep running in wet conditions, thats what I did with mine and I've had it right under water and its still working fine (knock on wood). glad they're going to warranty it for you, let us know how you make out.

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around
post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Ya...I've got a tube of dialectric. The instuctions ask for the spark plug wire to be greased but not the other snap on connections. I'm kicking myself for not having just greased every connection now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement