Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

650 H1 Belt cover

7K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  AlmostxProwler 
#1 ·
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right forum or not, but here goes. This last weekend I had the Cat out doing some offroad videos of my buddies. I wasn't real hard on it, and the weather was nice. The day was just about over, and I was driving down the road when all of a sudden it wouldn't go above 30 mph, but the rpm's were topped out like it would normally be running at top speed. At first I thought I left the E-brake on again, or something, but I didn't. I stopped to see wth, then when I went to take off again, it wouldn't move, and light smoke was coming out the belt exhaust. I initially thought I roasted the belt, so no big deal. We loaded it up on the trailer and took it home. Well, today I figured I would pull it apart and see how much damage was done. Well, I can't get the belt cover off. It seems like it's stuck on the primary drive. I got it apart enough to see down into it and the belt appears intact. I pryed and pulled and I could only get about an inch or two separation between the case and cover. Another thing is I can reach in with my finger and turn the outer primary half. I can't understand what could be holding the cover from coming all the way off. I've changed the belt before, but it's been awhile. Am I missing something?? WTH?? Sorry for the novel, but I think I got everything. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

#2 ·
The end of your primary goes into a bearing built into your cover. Maybe you seized that little bearing, and it is stuck on that part. I would not pry on it, at least not on the metal. Another member cracked his case when trying to do something similar. If you can, maybe try knocking it off with a rubber mallet, or use a good size hammer and a small 2x4 or other piece of wood. Wedge the wood in the corners and give the end of the wood a good smack. I would try to do it evenly on both sides so you don't wedge it at an angle. The only things that hold the cover on once the screws are out is the bearing at the end of the primary and the two guide pins used to align the cases.

Sometimes it just takes a little extra oomph.....

#3 ·
Thanks. Yeah, I was pretty nervous on the prying part. I've got some wood at the house I may take and cut some up to help wedge it apart some more. I gave it an hr and a half of oomph today, but I dont think I've eaten enough groceries to get it done...lol. There definitely isn't a lot of room to swing much of anything in there. I didn't know about the bearing. Like I said, it's been awhile (like a couple yrs) and I couldn't remember. Now it's starting to make a little sense. You say that's built into the cover? If that's the case, I wonder if I'm going to end up buying a new cover then? I definitely don't need to be buying a new case for it.Thanks for the insight, I'll keep you posted.

#4 ·
The bearing is bolted into the cover. So if it is toast, you will just need the bearing and not a cover. You can pry on the cover, but just don't use metal on metal. At least protect the case really well and be very careful.

#11 ·
Your right, from what I've read you can run the engine without the cover ONLY it you are in neutral to check your clutch but if you drive without the cover even for a few feet you will cause damage to the shaft.

#7 ·
I can only think that it helps keep the primary fixed,centered, and maybe from wobbling some.

#10 ·
First time I pulled my clutch cover it would not move! Took my rubber mallet to it to break it free, very little movement! Hmmm? Looked at the cover and discovered I missed taking all of the bolts off! One under the case, and one by the intake air duct!!!!!!!!!! My bearing is held in place with a snap ring, and I agree on the function, prevent the shaft from wobbling.

#12 ·
Yeah, you definitely don't want to drive it anywhere without the cover on.. does anybody know how to change that bearing? I have a new one to put in but couldn't get it out last time i had it apart... I'm not trying to jack this thread, just think that may be your problem Airtime and you may need to change it out... I think for how cheap it is to replace it can save a lot of headache down the road.. we just need some tips and insights on how to get the old bearing out after the snap ring is removed.. I think maybe a bearing puller may get it out??

#13 ·
If the bearing doesn't slide out, then a bearing puller will work. I think most of the local parts stores have a kit you can rent (well actually you buy it, and then return it for full refund are how many work).

#14 ·
good tip, I think my next purchase will be a new puller.. does anyone know how often the bearing should be changed out? its very inexpensive and fairly easy to do but may save some headache down the road..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.