differential questions - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

differential questions

few questions about my prowlers differential and how they work.

right now when its in two wheel drive it will spin one tire freely and not the other. what could be wrong in this turf saver diff? and what are my options?

the front diff earlier this winter i couldn't get it to even make the solenoid noise to activate it into 4x4 the light was on, on the switch. but today when it was warmer out. after pushing it several times the solenoid noise was sounded strong again i could get it to go into 4, and even diff lock, but it wasn't popping in and out everytime like it should. its acting like theirs water in the diff but i changed the fluid earlier this year.

i hope the front diff starts working like it should cause im pretty sure ill be in the rear as only one tire spins in the rear.

its an 2009 prowler 700 XTX

any help or advise would be great, thanks!

-Aksnopro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Loyal Member

You mite have a front actuator with water in it and its freezing on the rear diff do what I did replace the turf saver diff with the spool out of a 09 700 XT not XTX and replace the rear inner cvs to match. Hope this helps
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Administrator

The one wheel sinning freely is the turf saver rear, if it is not jerking when starting off from stop it is functioning normally. The intermittent front solenoid is more than likely due to moisture inside the activator, try cleaning all connections and use di-electric grease on the connections. Options for the turf saver are: Replace the ring gear (Very Costly), Eliminate the Turf Saver by either welding the unit, or replacing with a locked rear end (This will require additional parts, but is less costly than a turf saver). They are several threads on this in the forum.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Talking

wow thanks for the quick reply, i wouldnt mind welding it, i will do some searching now on the forums for someone who has done this! thanks for the tips and quick responses! no to do some forum jamming

-Aksnopro
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Rides all the time

DJ welded his, and Joe purchased the parts to convert his. Both viable options. Here is the thread from DJ.....

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/me...ver-diffs.html

Here is the quote from Joe on what he spent in parts to convert his:

"I just ordered a 700 XT locked ring gear 157.00 and 2 inner cvs for 97.00 each. to fix it."

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by out west View Post
DJ welded his, and Joe purchased the parts to convert his. Both viable options. Here is the thread from DJ.....

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/me...ver-diffs.html

Here is the quote from Joe on what he spent in parts to convert his:

"I just ordered a 700 XT locked ring gear 157.00 and 2 inner cvs for 97.00 each. to fix it."
awesome thanks!!!

now if i could find someone who has some pics of what they had to weld up in the diff. i have been through 4-5 front axles (falling out & snapping cv's) rear has been solid till now though.

ill have it brought into a local shop and welded up, if i know what to ask them to weld!! couldnt find any pics on here or on Google.. anyone got some pics of the welded rearend?

-Aksnopro
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Rides all the time

I know DJ did his, and Tusu had his done, but I don't think any pictures were taken. Maybe somebody could give a good description, or try calling DJ. I don't know anything about the turf saver. So I wouldn't be any help.

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 06:27 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksnopro View Post
awesome thanks!!!

now if i could find someone who has some pics of what they had to weld up in the diff. i have been through 4-5 front axles (falling out & snapping cv's) rear has been solid till now though.

ill have it brought into a local shop and welded up, if i know what to ask them to weld!! couldnt find any pics on here or on Google.. anyone got some pics of the welded rearend?

-Aksnopro
what was making your front axles come out,and what was your fix.If the diaelectric grease dont fix your front actuator you will probably have to replace It,you can take the actuator apart but you can't buy parts for it.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

the snap ring that locks into place when you push the axle in wasn't doing the job, rubber o-rings was placed inside the axel below the snap ring to help hold it out, problem with this was they were CRAZY hard to pull out when i snapped a CV. the newest white cupped axle has not fallen out yet. i do have gnarly tires, but i think limiter straps and steering stops will stop the axles from breaking at the cv's.

-Aksnopro
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 01:27 AM

Those parts cost so much more in finland!!! That rear ring gear cost here about 500$ (about 200$ there)+ those inner cv:s i think it would be another 500$
thats why i welded my rear diff. It cost only 1l single malt whiskey

2008 800RZR-S, MCX Turbo kit and much much more..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement