General maintenance - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

General maintenance

I have a 2008 XTX 700 with just under 1000 miles. Is there any other general maintenance I need to perform besides the following before the summer comes? I did clean the machine before winter store and use fuel stabilizer.
Charge the batter.
Change engine oil.
Check air filer.
Check air pressure.
Look for any leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 04:56 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentg View Post
I have a 2008 XTX 700 with just under 1000 miles. Is there any other general maintenance I need to perform besides the following before the summer comes? I did clean the machine before winter store and use fuel stabilizer.
Charge the batter.
Change engine oil.
Check air filer.
Check air pressure.
Look for any leaks.
Hi Brentg,you might want to check the diff oil,when I changed mine at 1500 the front was low from factory,and it was dirty.I would change it anyways you can do it with less than a quart front and rear,make sure you don't over fill.looks like you got the rest of it covered.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:54 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! If you do change the differential fluid, make sure that you use the Arctic Cat specified rear dif fluid. It has an additive for your turf saver rear end, failure to do so will shorten its life and failure.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:57 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
Welcome to the site! If you do change the differential fluid, make sure that you use the Arctic Cat specified rear dif fluid. It has an additive for your turf saver rear end, failure to do so will shorten its life and failure.
RD,the 2008 XTX 700 had a turf saver.

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Administrator

I think the Turf Saver was used from 2008 - 2010, I did not find a part number for it in 2011, and it was only on the XTX models.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 10:09 AM

Ditching my turf-saver is on my "to-do" list. Seems to be working fine though. Only get the herky jerky starts on concrete or pavement. On dirt, gravel, etc it just just fine. But I do plan on getting a 700XT spool and going that route. From what I've read, the spool setup really helps deliver better power to the ground and is more reliable.

09 Prowler 700 XTX, Dynatek FS cdi and coil kit, Maxxis Bighorns, Warn 3500 lb winch, factory windshield/wiper and roof, Trail Armor doors, cage chopped 4", BEARD rear bench seat w/ 4 point harnesses, custom built extended cage. Rockford Fosgate RFX9400 marine stereo, Scosche 6.5' 3-way speakers in custom built overhead console and MB Quart NAU260 marine amplifier. Cobra CB. Sunpro volt, oil pressure and water temp gauges. Custom gauge plate built by RD. Peel 7 Seal lined doghouse.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 10:37 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavic19 View Post
Ditching my turf-saver is on my "to-do" list. Seems to be working fine though. Only get the herky jerky starts on concrete or pavement. On dirt, gravel, etc it just just fine. But I do plan on getting a 700XT spool and going that route. From what I've read, the spool setup really helps deliver better power to the ground and is more reliable.
Seems like everyone that makes the change,likes the live axle better.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 12:50 PM

I would change the diff fluid for sure, I change mine a lot.. sometimes after one run.. this is because some runs I end up in quite a bit of water..better safe than sorry. Also, there is a plate on the bottom of your engine where your oil drain plug is. It's recommended by Cat to check it every 500 miles, its four torx head bolts and it gets you in to the oil pump pickup screen.. good to check it to make sure its free and clear and there isn't any metal floating around. I just checked my for the first time this year.. I have around 2000 miles on mine.. it looked good in there but you never know.. if you get the service manual online it shows you how to do it step by step. make sure if it doesn't have the rubber o ring style gasket to put a little high temp silicone on it before reinstalling.

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostxProwler View Post
I would change the diff fluid for sure, I change mine a lot.. sometimes after one run.. this is because some runs I end up in quite a bit of water..better safe than sorry. Also, there is a plate on the bottom of your engine where your oil drain plug is. It's recommended by Cat to check it every 500 miles, its four torx head bolts and it gets you in to the oil pump pickup screen.. good to check it to make sure its free and clear and there isn't any metal floating around. I just checked my for the first time this year.. I have around 2000 miles on mine.. it looked good in there but you never know.. if you get the service manual online it shows you how to do it step by step. make sure if it doesn't have the rubber o ring style gasket to put a little high temp silicone on it before reinstalling.
If you take off that plate you will need a ratchet wrench like this one because two of the bolts are a biatch to get to. I just picked up the kit today, but haven't tried it yet. But I know others said it works like a charm. I also picked up regular hex bolts to replace the torx bolts for future removal. But then again, if this tool works really well it may not be necessary.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_338552-22328...duct_price%7C0

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 03:04 PM

That's a sweet looking driver set. Definitely gonna pick one up.

09 Prowler 700 XTX, Dynatek FS cdi and coil kit, Maxxis Bighorns, Warn 3500 lb winch, factory windshield/wiper and roof, Trail Armor doors, cage chopped 4", BEARD rear bench seat w/ 4 point harnesses, custom built extended cage. Rockford Fosgate RFX9400 marine stereo, Scosche 6.5' 3-way speakers in custom built overhead console and MB Quart NAU260 marine amplifier. Cobra CB. Sunpro volt, oil pressure and water temp gauges. Custom gauge plate built by RD. Peel 7 Seal lined doghouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement