HELP!! Starter problem and over-heating problem - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

HELP!! Starter problem and over-heating problem

Hey,
Big problem, took the XTZ out for a long ride, longest since we've bought it used 2 weeks ago. Must have been on a hour long cruise, never really reaching much more than 45mph but pretty much a steady 25-30mph. When I pulled into the garage to park it, I turned the key off to kill the ignition and the starter would try and crank, turn the key back on, engine would fire up without turning the key to start. While letting the machine run to try and figure out if I had a pinched wire or something, It immediately flashed the speedo needle and the engine coolant sign came up flashing. It hadnt even been idling for 2minutes.

SO:
(1) any ideas why the starter would be suddenly acting up like that, no issues thus far and have pretty much had it running every day over the last 12 days

(2) why is it over heating so easily, coolant level is good, radiator is clean of debris and I do hear the fan kick in.

Thanks for the help!
Bauer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

OH, ended up pulling the hot wire off the batt. and this cleared it, When I make contact again now, it will not try and crank, just primes the fuel pressure like normal.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

AND, with the shift lever in high, foot off the brake, the starter still wanted to crank, but obviously would not start, I pushed in the brake to activate the relay, and it fired right up.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 05:06 AM
Administrator

Sounds like the starter relay is fused closed, with the battery terminal removed see if you have continuity across the main poles. If you do the relay is cooked and needs replaced. Check for air in the cooling system, on mine there is a hose clamp near the thermostat housing that I loosened to release trapped air. AS soon as I loosened the clamp, the coolant level in the radiator dropped, tightened the clamp, and refilled the coolant to proper level, and no more problem. Hope this helps....................RD

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 02:49 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
Hey,
Big problem, took the XTZ out for a long ride, longest since we've bought it used 2 weeks ago. Must have been on a hour long cruise, never really reaching much more than 45mph but pretty much a steady 25-30mph. When I pulled into the garage to park it, I turned the key off to kill the ignition and the starter would try and crank, turn the key back on, engine would fire up without turning the key to start. While letting the machine run to try and figure out if I had a pinched wire or something, It immediately flashed the speedo needle and the engine coolant sign came up flashing. It hadnt even been idling for 2minutes.

SO:
(1) any ideas why the starter would be suddenly acting up like that, no issues thus far and have pretty much had it running every day over the last 12 days

(2) why is it over heating so easily, coolant level is good, radiator is clean of debris and I do hear the fan kick in.

Thanks for the help!
Bauer
Was your fan running when your temp Icon came on.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Jounior Member

Thanks for the replies.

Fairmont, funny you should mention that, tried it this afternoon, it did burp and pulled all of the coolant out of the resivoir. Topped the radiator off, and the coolant tank to the set level. Started it up, so far so good. Near as I can tell, previous owner never added any coolant. Seems to be fine now.

Now it seems like at idle, it will sit and run for 3-5 minutes, kick the fan on for a minute and go back to off again. This sound normal, or do I maybe have a sticking thermostat?

Ill try the starter relay tomorrow. Where abouts from the solenoid is the relay located?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 10:12 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Fairmont, funny you should mention that, tried it this afternoon, it did burp and pulled all of the coolant out of the resivoir. Topped the radiator off, and the coolant tank to the set level. Started it up, so far so good. Near as I can tell, previous owner never added any coolant. Seems to be fine now.

Now it seems like at idle, it will sit and run for 3-5 minutes, kick the fan on for a minute and go back to off again. This sound normal, or do I maybe have a sticking thermostat?

Ill try the starter relay tomorrow. Where abouts from the solenoid is the relay located?

Sounds like your fan is working like it should.Like RD said must had air in the system.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 06:24 AM
Administrator

If your machine is like mine then the relay is under the driver's seat.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Loyal Member

I'm not where my manual is so no help here .. there are on-line manuals available and links have been posted in the past .. so a search and u will find a link to a downloadable manual.

never had an issue on mine with heat / radiator / temps . I have well over 5000 miles on it now

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement