Your First Big Oops... - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Your First Big Oops...

My first big oops was Thursday evening, while I was hauling mulch from my aunts to my place (4miles one way) and I had just dropped the first load of mulch off and was heading back up the road. When the bed latch didn't fully latch and caused the bed to tilt for about 20 seconds max. And I pulled over to shut the bed and noticed the bottom of my tailgate was melted that quickly and a small portion of my bed as well.

Considering the buggy is less than 2 weeks old I'm rather sick to my stomach over the accident and the fact that every time I used the tilt I was adamant on making sure the bed was fully latched. Except this once when it was starting to get dark. So I was some what in a hurry to get the last load hauled back to my house.

However at the same time I am slightly relieved that the first big ding was done my be and not some other idiot not paying attention

Good thing about it is I caught it in enough time that its not seen unless the tailgate is down or you are on your hands and knees looking up underneath the bed.

To help settle my nerves let me know what your first big oops was....

2013 Arctic Cat Xtz 1000 - Glass Windshield, Wiper Kit, Roof, Radio, Winch, V Bag, And Yutrax No Drill Rumble Seat
2007 Suzuki Sv1000s - Stock Vigor Blue Metallic
1999 Honda 300 4x4 - Wiseco Bbk, H/L Clutch Kit, Gearless Locker, Disc Brake Conversion, Lift Kit, and 18" Snorkel, Sitting on 28" Itp 589s With C Series Wheels

Name - Chaz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 03:54 AM
Administrator

I was struck with a case of HUTA (Heads up there A--) when I installed a EPI clutch kit. Missed tightening one of the bolts inside the clutch/belt cover and it backed out, went through the clutch face and belt so it looked like a bomb went off in the clutch plates! I noticed aluminum flakes coming from my clutch heat discharge tube and thought that this is not a good thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 05:36 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cClark06 View Post
My first big oops was Thursday evening, while I was hauling mulch from my aunts to my place (4miles one way) and I had just dropped the first load of mulch off and was heading back up the road. When the bed latch didn't fully latch and caused the bed to tilt for about 20 seconds max. And I pulled over to shut the bed and noticed the bottom of my tailgate was melted that quickly and a small portion of my bed as well.

Considering the buggy is less than 2 weeks old I'm rather sick to my stomach over the accident and the fact that every time I used the tilt I was adamant on making sure the bed was fully latched. Except this once when it was starting to get dark. So I was some what in a hurry to get the last load hauled back to my house.

However at the same time I am slightly relieved that the first big ding was done my be and not some other idiot not paying attention

Good thing about it is I caught it in enough time that its not seen unless the tailgate is down or you are on your hands and knees looking up underneath the bed.

To help settle my nerves let me know what your first big oops was....
DID the tail gate and the bed make contact with the exhaust,my big oops was when mine was new one of my buddy's dropped my tail gate thinking it had straps on it,well It didn't, the gate come open and slammed into my bumper and scratched the gate all up,he bought a new tailgate skin for me/another time was I rode it to my buddys and just happened to look over and my buddys cat was sliding down the hood.buggy had 125 miles on it,I was sick.new hood was 500 dollars he wouldn't go for that.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 06:28 AM
Loyal Member

one of my early rides [new rig , new to SxS's] laid it on it's side and broke it's cherry / first scratch , scared the hell out of my Gal as she was on the high side. had to release the seat belt and she came down like a sack of taters on me .
it was a very rutted trail we we're going up a steep grade and the rut was dug deep on the driver side .. I was side hilling over the rut and the tire[stock crap at the time] slipped off the wall and into the rut causing a slow roll onto the drivers side. rut was very deep ,the steepness and bouncing up the steep grade made for the perfect launch LOL

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
My cat came complete with scratches when I bought it so I'm use to that (third owner). I didn't like the way the tailgate dropped when open so I shortened the cables I've been happy with the mod when hauling dirt and stuff but when hunting my brothers thought it would be a good place to sit and now the inner panel is cracked, and when the cables were long I dumped the bed with the receiver hitch installed and the outside hit it.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by de3 View Post
DID the tail gate and the bed make contact with the exhaust,my big oops was when mine was new one of my buddy's dropped my tail gate thinking it had straps on it,well It didn't, the gate come open and slammed into my bumper and scratched the gate all up,he bought a new tailgate skin for me/another time was I rode it to my buddys and just happened to look over and my buddys cat was sliding down the hood.buggy had 125 miles on it,I was sick.new hood was 500 dollars he wouldn't go for that.
I never looked too see if it actually hit, but i don't think it did. the egt was just that hot cause I had been cruising on it for probably a good hour. At least at about 50 mph. And I can tell you what about 300 lb. of mulch in the back I never knew it was there 4 miles down a state route from her place to mine and I was cruising 60mph with the load in the back. I was very impressed with the power of the xtz.

2013 Arctic Cat Xtz 1000 - Glass Windshield, Wiper Kit, Roof, Radio, Winch, V Bag, And Yutrax No Drill Rumble Seat
1999 Honda 300 4x4 - Wiseco Bbk, H/L Clutch Kit, Gearless Locker, Disc Brake Conversion, Lift Kit, and 18" Snorkel, Sitting on 28" Itp 589s With C Series Wheels

Name - Chaz
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:18 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
I never looked too see if it actually hit, but i don't think it did. the egt was just that hot cause I had been cruising on it for probably a good hour. At least at about 50 mph. And I can tell you what about 300 lb. of mulch in the back I never knew it was there 4 miles down a state route from her place to mine and I was cruising 60mph with the load in the back. I was very impressed with the power of the xtz.
The XTZ is a torque monster,my buddy went on a poker ride,and said he couldn't hardly ride behind a XTZ from all the mud and rocks it was throwing.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The XTZ is a torque monster,my buddy went on a poker ride,and said he couldn't hardly ride behind a XTZ from all the mud and rocks it was throwing.
Yes it def is its amazing how much torque it has, that's why they had to put the slipper clutch on it so rear ends wouldn't explosive.

On the 2009 review from utv guide. it's rumored 70 plus hp which isn't a lot from a 1000cc motor this day and age but, a whopping 188 ft lb of torque is an arctic cat claim.

Name - Chaz
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:53 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Yes it def is its amazing how much torque it has, that's why they had to put the slipper clutch on it so rear ends wouldn't explosive.

On the 2009 review from utv guide. it's rumored 70 plus hp which isn't a lot from a 1000cc motor this day and age but, a whopping 188 ft lb of torque is an arctic cat claim.
Yea the xtz motor has a lot of potential,and you can tear up the (SLD) spike load damperner.it takes the shock out of the rearend,If you ever tear that out they make a better one, flying121 knows all about them.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yea the xtz motor has a lot of potential,and you can tear up the (SLD) spike load damperner.it takes the shock out of the rearend,If you ever tear that out they make a better one, flying121 knows all about them.
Good to know ill have to add him, cause thelast thing I wanna do is put a delete kit in it.

Name - Chaz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement