06 Engine Quitting - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

06 Engine Quitting

Over the weekend went on several long rides with no problems then, Saturday afternoon my 06 started quitting every 1/4 to 1/2 mi, would always start back up. My 06 Prowler is all stock except for my carb which I replaced with a Mikuni pumper & put in a low mileage 07 engine (complete) a couple weeks ago. I replaced my inline fuel filter, I have a electric fuel pump inline & the engine quits with either the vacuum pump or the electric pump running. Pulled all fuses & put back in checking for connection, checked all electrical connections to make sure the were still connected. Not sure where to start checking, any ideas? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Seth/Todd thanks for your time & efforts in all you have done for this site, I don't chat often but I check/read almost daily. de3 thank you for making yourself available and being available to help keep this great site going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 12:01 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Over the weekend went on several long rides with no problems then, Saturday afternoon my 06 started quitting every 1/4 to 1/2 mi, would always start back up. My 06 Prowler is all stock except for my carb which I replaced with a Mikuni pumper & put in a low mileage 07 engine (complete) a couple weeks ago. I replaced my inline fuel filter, I have a electric fuel pump inline & the engine quits with either the vacuum pump or the electric pump running. Pulled all fuses & put back in checking for connection, checked all electrical connections to make sure the were still connected. Not sure where to start checking, any ideas? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Seth/Todd thanks for your time & efforts in all you have done for this site, I don't chat often but I check/read almost daily. de3 thank you for making yourself available and being available to help keep this great site going.
Thanks for your comments,your problem kinda stumps me,since you rode it all day with no problems I don't think it would have started vapor locking,I run the same carb but haven't had that problem,could be a electrical component getting hot and breaking down.how long does it take for the engine to shut down when the motor is started the next day.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Cold yesterday morning ran about 1/4 mi before shutting off, 8 hrs later when unloading about 3/8 mi. I am thinking it has to be electrical. Saturday when it started quitting I removed engine cover & drove around. Inline fuel filter is clear & stayed full of fuel. I could not find a hot wire/connector when it would shut down.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Cold yesterday morning ran about 1/4 mi before shutting off, 8 hrs later when unloading about 3/8 mi. I am thinking it has to be electrical. Saturday when it started quitting I removed engine cover & drove around. Inline fuel filter is clear & stayed full of fuel. I could not find a hot wire/connector when it would shut down.
Yes I would say it is electrical,Maybe cdi.????????????

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
I've been looking through the service manual for my '07 and here are some of the trouble shooting things it has.

Electrical Section:
Problem: Spark absent or weak
Condition/ Remedy
1. Ignition coil defective 1. Replace ignition coil
2. Spark plug defective 2. Replace plug
3. Magneto defective 3. Replace magneto
4. CDI unit defective 4. Replace CDI unit
5. Pick-up coil defective 5. Replace pick-up coil

Engine Section

Problem: Engine stalls easily
Condition/ Remedy
1. Spark plug fouled 1. Clean - replace plug
2. Magneto defective 2. Replace magneto
3. CDI unit defective 3. Replace CDI unit
4. Carburetor jets obstructed 4. Clean jets
5. Valve clearance out of adjustment 5. Adjust clearance

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
You said you couldn't find a hot wire when it shut down is all electrical quitting including headlights?

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 07:10 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1962 View Post
You said you couldn't find a hot wire when it shut down is all electrical quitting including headlights?
I would say it's the CDI or COIL.Something is breaking down when it gets hot./Good Info mike.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
I had an old Suzuki motorcycle that seemed foul plugs every month, it would get hot and shut down until it cooled. I think I pushed that thing more than I rode it, I was 15 then damn that was a long time ago!

Hope you find your problem soon I'm sure someone here has an idea what could be causing it.

Missouri Mike
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Yesterday evening I changed plug, I started prowler & let idle for about 1.5 hours and it was ok, took for test drive & went 1/4 mile & quit. Started right back up. this morning I started went for a test drive after 1/4 mile quit. Started back up went back home & let idle for 45 minutes. So it appears that it only quits while driving. I put a jumper wire across the start switch to make sure it was not losing power to the ignition thru the ignition switch (Thought I should check the ignition switch as I just changed it out before the 4th). Does the additional info give anyone any new ideas. I have a spare coil & cdi box if the 07 cdi box is the same as the 06, guess I will switch them out one at a time and see what happens. Thanks to all for your ideas & suggestions.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 10:18 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Yesterday evening I changed plug, I started prowler & let idle for about 1.5 hours and it was ok, took for test drive & went 1/4 mile & quit. Started right back up. this morning I started went for a test drive after 1/4 mile quit. Started back up went back home & let idle for 45 minutes. So it appears that it only quits while driving. I put a jumper wire across the start switch to make sure it was not losing power to the ignition thru the ignition switch (Thought I should check the ignition switch as I just changed it out before the 4th). Does the additional info give anyone any new ideas. I have a spare coil & cdi box if the 07 cdi box is the same as the 06, guess I will switch them out one at a time and see what happens. Thanks to all for your ideas & suggestions.
The 07 cdi will work,try that sounds like a loose connection if it only does it when moving.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement