After market drive belts? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

After market drive belts?

I broke a drive belt a couple of weeks ago on my 07-650. I took it all apart and then ordered new rollers, dampers, belt, and roller plate. I bought all AC parts except for the belt...I bought a Gates G force belt instead, knowing gates is a good brand. I assembled everything step by step off the U tube video (same on as on this site under clutch assembly). I started it up and ran for a few minutes in garage, everything looked great! I put it all back together and made it about 75 yards down my drive way and it started making a weird noise and burning the belt. I towed it back to my shop and haven't pulled it apart yet. AC dealer said belt might be too wide. Any Ideas before I dump more money and try the same thing over again?? Thanks Tom

2008 Prowler 650XT,
Sedona Rip saws, Warn 3000lb winch, PIAA HID, LED aux lighting, Custom Pre Runner bumper light bar, A/C hard top, Arctic Thunder Custom Snorkel kit , AC suspension seats, Big Gun exhaust, Full Aluminum skid plates, Dynatech CDI, voltage-oil-temp gauges,

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Loyal Member

Did you install the belt with the arrow going in the correct direction? I have heard very bad things about after market belts even those made by the best companies out there. Arctic Cat has their belt made to their specs and they test them in their vehicles. I recommend staying with the factory belt. I have the original belt from my turbo Prowler sitting in my garage with over 1200 miles on it and i am only on belt # 2 and it looks great.

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Lifetime Member

when I had my 08 650, I tried a couple different aftermarket belts and never had good luck with them,,i always stick with the factory belts new with no problems

2012 prowler xtx custom doors ,bumpers ,lightbar,windshield.rollcage ,stereo,5000lb winch,28"wsamp lites ,1 1/2"wheel spacers.custom graphics,custom rear roll bar,factory fender flares cb radio ltz hoodscoop ac soft top and rear window,ac aluminium skidplates,temp and volt guage ,2"lift kit and sti beadlock wheels

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Loyal Member

So if I am reading this correct that you switched to a Gates belt and then had a problem?

Pull your primary and secondary and inspect the rollers and sheaves then if everything is good put it back together with a factory belt. Pay attention to the arrow on the belt and install it in the proper direction. Be sure to break the belt in before driving like a mad man. You should be good to go.

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying121 View Post
So if I am reading this correct that you switched to a Gates belt and then had a problem?

Pull your primary and secondary and inspect the rollers and sheaves then if everything is good put it back together with a factory belt. Pay attention to the arrow on the belt and install it in the proper direction. Be sure to break the belt in before driving like a mad man. You should be good to go.
yes, all factory parts except the belt! also the Gates belt did NOT have an arrow like the stock one?

2008 Prowler 650XT,
Sedona Rip saws, Warn 3000lb winch, PIAA HID, LED aux lighting, Custom Pre Runner bumper light bar, A/C hard top, Arctic Thunder Custom Snorkel kit , AC suspension seats, Big Gun exhaust, Full Aluminum skid plates, Dynatech CDI, voltage-oil-temp gauges,

Tom
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

I will re inspect all parts, and put back together with an AC belt...Thanks guys! didn't know what else to try. Also what's the recommended mileage for belt replacement? mine broke at 3200 miles.

2008 Prowler 650XT,

Tom
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 09:50 PM

I have been running a Dayco HPX for a couple years no problem. I smoked the stock belt playing in the wet snow of UT a few years ago. I have about 200 miles on the Dayco but so far so good.

That being said, probably safer with oem.

2007 Prowler 650, Dobek CDI, Pumper Carb., Viper 4500# winch, Summit Jeep Heater. It's got some racks, some camo, some tunes and 6 gun racks. It's my hunting rig.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

ok...took off clutch cover and found a piece of the old belt and part of the rubber seal off the very back plate behind the primary....it must have been stuck in the back behind the rubber seal....yay, I get to buy more parts, but at least no major damage. Thanks to everybody for the help. Tom

2008 Prowler 650XT,

Tom
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 11:20 PM

I'm also rather interested in this topic due to my belt slippage.

2013 Arctic Cat Xtz 1000 - Glass Windshield, Wiper Kit, Roof, Radio, Winch, V Bag, And Yutrax No Drill Rumble Seat
2007 Suzuki Sv1000s - Stock Vigor Blue Metallic
1999 Honda 300 4x4 - Wiseco Bbk, H/L Clutch Kit, Gearless Locker, Disc Brake Conversion, Lift Kit, and 18" Snorkel, Sitting on 28" Itp 589s With C Series Wheels

Name - Chaz
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cClark06 View Post
I'm also rather interested in this topic due to my belt slippage.
If your belt is slipping, repair it now!!! do not wait for it to break. when mine broke, it grenaded my rollers, grooved my moveable roller plate, grooved the outer half of my primary where the rollers sit....a lot of parts to replace. preventative maint. is well worth it. There is a great video on this forum and on you tube on belt...clutch assembly-disassembly. The only thing I would add is to use light sandpaper or even a scotch brite pad to remove the glazing from you primary and secondary. Tom

2008 Prowler 650XT,

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement