I've got the bug!!! - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

I've got the bug!!!

So I need your help Prowler nation! I have a 2011 Prowler550 XT and have had it to Colorado 6 times already (just returned last night . I love what it will do and am ready to "step up" to my next machine. I'm wanting to stay with a Prowler for sure and i also use it on my property for snow removal, blading, spraying, etc.

With that said, help me make my decision on my next machine - 700 or 1000??

Pros and cons? Gas mileage? Etc.....

I look forward to your replies and feedback.

Thanks!!

n8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 07:05 AM
Lifetime Member

welcome to the forum (prowler talk) .....what you buy depends on what kind of riding you do..for open roads and sand dunes I would say a 1000. for trail riding ,problably a 700 ,if your just putting around and doing yard work,the 550 would be great,,for the riding I do my 700 is great....I would never use the power that the 1000 has but I do a lot of mountain riding (hills) that the 550 would be working to hard......just my 2 cents ,whatever you decide ,there all great machines you just have to get whats right for your needs..

2012 prowler xtx custom doors ,bumpers ,lightbar,windshield.rollcage ,stereo,5000lb winch,28"wsamp lites ,1 1/2"wheel spacers.custom graphics,custom rear roll bar,factory fender flares cb radio ltz hoodscoop ac soft top and rear window,ac aluminium skidplates,temp and volt guage ,2"lift kit and sti beadlock wheels
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
That's a tough one, I like the thought of having the 1000 for the power but I think if I ever get to upgrade I might go for the 700 HDX for the extra seat and larger bed. One thing to think about is the accessories you have for your 550 that you can take off and use on your new one like the blade mount, I'm pretty sure they will fit the 700 XTX & 1000 XTZ Prowlers but some accessories might not fit the 700 HDX.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Rides all the time

I probably wouldn't need all the power for the riding I do, but I would still prefer to have the 1000. But it may depend on what year you are looking to purchase. I've read that some of the early 1000's (09's) had engine case issues which were rectified on later models. It may come down to what the price difference between the two are, but I personally would choose the 1000 if the price wasn't that much different. Rather have overkill on power.....

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 07:44 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by out west View Post
I probably wouldn't need all the power for the riding I do, but I would still prefer to have the 1000. But it may depend on what year you are looking to purchase. I've read that some of the early 1000's (09's) had engine case issues which were rectified on later models. It may come down to what the price difference between the two are, but I personally would choose the 1000 if the price wasn't that much different. Rather have overkill on power.....
If you have the need for speed and want to plow the ground up.xtz 1000.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 09:09 AM

You wont need a plow for the 1000, it'll just chuck the snow out of the way. The rest will melt in fear when it hears the growl of the big h2 heading its way. Just be careful on gear selection the wrong one is easy to be in with 188 ft/lb of torque!

The theory of the idea, ill just push the pedal a little farther is the wrong idea!
Theory means new belt today glazed belt by tomorrow! I already going through this case.

The gas mileage is either there or it ain't if you wanna run it will drink if you wanna put it will sip. Anywhere from 120 to 170 miles I've gone depending on my riding style.

Another con is the Ryde fx show are fully adjustable, but dang near out of adjustment from the factory. So the only upgrade is to replace.

2013 Arctic Cat Xtz 1000 - Glass Windshield, Wiper Kit, Roof, Radio, Winch, V Bag, And Yutrax No Drill Rumble Seat
2007 Suzuki Sv1000s - Stock Vigor Blue Metallic
1999 Honda 300 4x4 - Wiseco Bbk, H/L Clutch Kit, Gearless Locker, Disc Brake Conversion, Lift Kit, and 18" Snorkel, Sitting on 28" Itp 589s With C Series Wheels

Name - Chaz

Last edited by cClark06; 07-20-2013 at 09:14 AM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Loyal Member

my only Prowler experience is the XTZ [1000} ... and can tell ya I have been in places many times I'm glad I have the power and extra cylinder ...
very steep grades when ya have to stop to clear trail , and the reverse of that coming down that same trail ... the extra cylinder helps a bunch of back pressure to hold the rigs speed descend down so ya don't have to drag the brakes all the way down and have some in reserve when ya need them v/s boiled brake fluid and no /low brakes .
as to snow plowing I have a dedicated plow and don't use mine but with that said the extra power would be very nice to have there.[and as said before right gear selection is a must there].

as to fuel milage I have been on many rides where I have put on over 125-140 miles , yes I use a tad bit more than a 700 but not enough to worry about.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us

Last edited by GTroyer; 07-21-2013 at 06:54 AM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 12:10 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTroyer View Post
my only Prowler experience is the XTZ [1000} ... and can tell ya I have been in places many times I'm glad I have the power and extra cylinder ...
very steep grades when ya have to stop to clear trail , and the revers of that coming down that same trail ... the extra cylinder helps a bunch of back pressure to hold the rigs speed descend down so ya don't have to drag the brakes all the way down and have some in reserve when ya need them v/s boiled brake fluid and no /low brakes .
as to snow plowing I have a dedicated plow and don't use mine but with that said the extra power would be very nice to have there.[and as said before right gear selection is a must there].

as to fuel milage I have been on many rides where I have put on over 125-140 miles , yes I use a tad bit more than a 700 but not enough to worry about.
Thats great on a tank of gas,I didn't think the 1000 would go that far.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by out west View Post
Totally agree with Shane! If price isn't an issue, go big! when u get used to the power, you always want more! Also, when you hit the flat roads going to the mountains from camp and vice versa, you can open up that 1000 and hang on!...lol. Our riding out west is a lot different then back east. sometimes its 100 miles of flat dirt roads! Desert style..

2008 Prowler 650XT,
Sedona Rip saws, Warn 3000lb winch, PIAA HID, LED aux lighting, Custom Pre Runner bumper light bar, A/C hard top, Arctic Thunder Custom Snorkel kit , AC suspension seats, Big Gun exhaust, Full Aluminum skid plates, Dynatech CDI, voltage-oil-temp gauges,

Tom
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 04:48 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVhunter View Post
Totally agree with Shane! If price isn't an issue, go big! when u get used to the power, you always want more! Also, when you hit the flat roads going to the mountains from camp and vice versa, you can open up that 1000 and hang on!...lol. Our riding out west is a lot different then back east. sometimes its 100 miles of flat dirt roads! Desert style..
Like you said If you got a lot of open riding the 1000 would be great,where we ride you can't use all that power unless you're buried in a mud hole,and out our gravel roads we ride on,I can see the 1000 getting away from a person around some of the turns..........But then again if they had a xtz back in 2006 I would have bought it.Heck I cant ride mine wide open in the woods.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement