Lost some low end power - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Lost some low end power

After installing a 2" snorkel kit, I installed a 142 jet in my carb. I live at 4200 feet. Took it out for a test run today and it seems to lag? Does anybody have any ideas? Top end was ok! 08 650.. I also installed a Vortex silencer in my big gun exhaust, but that shouldn't really make a noticeable difference? Thanks in advance!

2008 Prowler 650XT,
Sedona Rip saws, Warn 3000lb winch, PIAA HID, LED aux lighting, Custom Pre Runner bumper light bar, A/C hard top, Arctic Thunder Custom Snorkel kit , AC suspension seats, Big Gun exhaust, Full Aluminum skid plates, Dynatech CDI, voltage-oil-temp gauges,

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 06:31 AM
Administrator

DE3 to the Rescue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 07:26 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Does it seem to fall on it's face when you punch it? Makes me wonder if the tall intake is making it starve on air until it gets flowing.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 07:53 AM

Def talk to de3, he should be able to assist for sure. He will respond back some time today. Probably this morning...

Can you hear it sucking the air through the intake. Cause you shouldn't. Take a piece of duct tape and cover half the hole on the snorkel.
Does it get a little better or little worse? Gets worse you need more air. Gets better needs more fuel. Your main you installed is it bigger or smaller than the one you just replaced.

My Personal opinion is your main jet may be to large. Now that you have added the silencer, being its falling on its face at the bottom. I had the same issues with my 300 Honda during my build up process on it. Main jet was to big. And it was dumping to much fuel in to early. And after it gets to the top it ran pretty good but not tip top. I leaned it out but running a smaller main jet and its a 300 class champ now! Plus just because you added a snorkel doesn't mean you need to change the jets.

The more air that can make it to the throttle body the better. The throttle body then adjusts the amount of air to fuel mixture not your intake inlet. Unless its fuel injected then you may have problems.

Some fuel injected models air boxes double as not only the air box it's self but a blatter for a specific volume of air. And when that volume is changed it may have adverse effects on the performance.

Think of a gun (your engine) and the bullet (your exhaust gas) The noise is not only an explosion but the compression of the bullet against the air. A silencer obsorbs all of the noise and the compression of that bullet. This causes the velocity of the bullet to slow down drastically reducing noise.

And that's what your silencer is doing to your buggy.

Larger intake - no change
High altitudes - run richer (less air)
Silencer air restriction - run richer (more air restriction)
Larger jet - run richer (more fuel)

I hope this can help.

2013 Arctic Cat Xtz 1000 - Glass Windshield, Wiper Kit, Roof, Radio, Winch, V Bag, And Yutrax No Drill Rumble Seat
2007 Suzuki Sv1000s - Stock Vigor Blue Metallic
1999 Honda 300 4x4 - Wiseco Bbk, H/L Clutch Kit, Gearless Locker, Disc Brake Conversion, Lift Kit, and 18" Snorkel, Sitting on 28" Itp 589s With C Series Wheels

Name - Chaz

Last edited by cClark06; 08-24-2013 at 08:13 AM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 08:24 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVhunter View Post
After installing a 2" snorkel kit, I installed a 142 jet in my carb. I live at 4200 feet. Took it out for a test run today and it seems to lag? Does anybody have any ideas? Top end was ok! 08 650.. I also installed a Vortex silencer in my big gun exhaust, but that shouldn't really make a noticeable difference? Thanks in advance!
Tom Your main jet is to big,trial and error just keep droping down in size,until you get it right,make sure your fuel/air screw is around a turn and a half to two turns out.does it idle good. you might be fine with the stock main jet 132,I would try a in between size first,Tom I have several jets for your carb if your interested I cant use them anymore,you can have them if you want them.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........

Last edited by de3; 08-24-2013 at 08:08 PM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by de3 View Post
Tom Your main jet is to big,trial and error just keep droping down in size,until you get it right,make sure your fuel/air screw is around a turn and a half to two turns out.does it idle good. you might be fine with the stock main jet 132,I would try in between size first,Tom I have several jets for your carb if your interested I cant use them anymore,you can have them if you want them.
Thanks mike. I will try re jetting. and it does seem to idle a little rougher.

2008 Prowler 650XT,
Sedona Rip saws, Warn 3000lb winch, PIAA HID, LED aux lighting, Custom Pre Runner bumper light bar, A/C hard top, Arctic Thunder Custom Snorkel kit , AC suspension seats, Big Gun exhaust, Full Aluminum skid plates, Dynatech CDI, voltage-oil-temp gauges,

Tom
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 10:19 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
You might get it to Idle better,by adjusting your air/fuel screw,just make sure the buggy is at operating temp before you adjust.I got to thinking that is a tall jet for 4200'

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by de3 View Post
You might get it to Idle better,by adjusting your air/fuel screw,just make sure the buggy is at operating temp before you adjust.I got to thinking that is a tall jet for 4200'
I run my stock 132 jet at 8000 ft. It doesn't run perfect, but it runs okay. I actually need to probably go with a little smaller jet. So I would say you are probably a little on the rich side.

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 07:22 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
I had a 152 main when I rode at 3200' still run alright just felt sluggish.

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 07:28 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by out west View Post
I run my stock 132 jet at 8000 ft. It doesn't run perfect, but it runs okay. I actually need to probably go with a little smaller jet. So I would say you are probably a little on the rich side.
Shane what is the elevation where you live.I think they put 132 main jets in all the 650's the only thing that was changed was the weight of the cvt rollers,for the different elevations the prowlers were sold at.the higher the elevations the lighter the rollers.my elevation is 0 to 3000' my weights are 23 grams stock.I could be wrong on my thinking.??????????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement