Noises not associated with the Brake Chatter on 06 650 H1 - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Noises not associated with the Brake Chatter on 06 650 H1

I have had this 06 prowler for about 1.5 months. The previous owner and a shop all said that the noise I was hearing was brake chatter and all of them made the noise. The forum seemed to support this theory.

However, I have isolated the brake chatter and eliminated 95% of the noise when braking and taking off. Once I got rid of that noise I noticed another noise that appears giving it a lot of gas. Also when cruising then giving it gas it makes the noise. It has 1800 miles on it.

-It almost seems like bad gas but that was eliminated.
-Adjusted the tappetts, and that was not it.
-Took it to a shop and they never heard that noise before????
-Thought it was the exhaust vibrating due to a bad cone gasket, not it.
-Could be pre ignition detonation but not sure how to check that?
-Thought may be head gasket leak and water was getting into cylinder,
but no water was present in the oil. Head Gasket and cam, rockers, replaced at 1200 miles.
-On top of this when sitting and idling the dummy light came on as it was overheating. got some air through it and it was fine. It did it again tonight. Checked radiator and it was a little low so I added more glycol.
-I tried to attach an MPEG video but it would not let me.

Thoughts welcome as I am out of ideas. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 AM

Could it be out of time? Maybe the chain off a tooth? Assuming it has a chain and gears.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Loyal Member

Check the timing chain.I had a similar problem once with a different brand.Could not find the noise.Turned out to be defective timing chain guides that had premature wear on them causing the chain tensioner to not be able to get the chain tight enough.Also the shavings of chain guides pluged the oil pick up and caused a seizure.
This one that I had sounded like it needed a valve adjustment.The valves adjustment was ok.I checked it several times.The noise was coming from the top end on the engine I am explaining.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks SandChris. That is where I am at tonight on it. I was going to pull the chain tensioner and check that out but of couse these damn torx heads suck and strip so easily......so I cannot get the bottom bolt out to do that. Working on a remedy in close quarters.

Not giving in yet but do you have a shop recommendation to do the work if needed?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Loyal Member

Donny @ pcp offroad.One of the few shops I trust.Tell em chris sent ya.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Well....Donny has had it since Wednesday and he and the others cannot find where the noise is coming from. He has gone above and beyond and even measured the carb components against a new one. Since he was in there I decided to go with the 10:1 piston, his cam cut, new valves, and his combo clutch kit. All in all I should have another 14hp to the wheels....This 650 should come alive. Hoping the noise is resolved after all is said and done. Donny at PCP was a great recommendation. Thanks Sand Chris.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Loyal Member

Anytime tstefaniak.Ya know he is a stand up guy and always done right by me.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:43 AM
Founding Member

Is there a perodic adjustment that should be done to the timing chain tensioiner?????

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Loyal Member

It is spring loaded. The spring has enough pressure to keep it adjusted. Unless it runs out of adjustment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement