axles - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Loyal Member

axles

Hey guys I learned something they last couple of days and I wanted you guys to know about it.It seems that AC has three different size axle stubs or splines that go in to the diffs.They have a small, medium, and large.Some prowlers have large splines and some have medium splines for the rear diff.Some prowlers have medium splines and some have small splines for the front diff.So if you break one you might want to check what style or size you have.Before you just order up anyone of them.From what I am being told the vin number will not tell what axles you have.I guess I am lucky in a way to have the large and medium set up.From what I was told the xtz and the thunder cat are supposed to have the large and medium set up as well.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 03:26 PM

chris..you have GOT to be kidding...WTF? Seriously? Are you talking about across the product line or the prowler model line?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Founding Member

You might have them double check that info, the axles on the XTZ's are 3 different axles: 1502-348 for Left Front, 1502-347 for Right Front, 1502-562 Both Rear.
The 2009 XTX and XT use 1502-347 for Left Front (reverse of XTZ), 1502-348 for Right Front. The XTX uses 1502-347 for Both Rear while the XT uses 1502-346 for Both Rears.
So you can see, for an XTZ, you would need 3 different axles just on the 2009 , the XTX uses 2 different axles and the XT uses 3 different axles. But within the same series (ie:XTZ, XTX, XT), they use the same.
The 07's and 08's take different axles again.
But I've never heard anything that says that within any series that there is 3 sizes of axle other than the above.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Rides all the time

Wtf?????????
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Loyal Member

All prowlers do have three different axles in them.They might be large spline in the rear and those two axles will match. No matter if they are large spline or medium spline.The front two will be different though.And that of course is because of AC's diff lock.One of the axles will have a extra set of splines on it for the diff lock.The only way you would have three axles that match is if the front and rear diff take the medium spline axles.Then you would have three of one type and one with the extra splines for the diff lock.The thunder cats and the xtz seem to have the good bigger axles in the rear and the good medium in the front.The reason I am saying they are good is because there is a pretty good difference in size from small to medium to large.
I have seen two cats now with medium splines front and rear that the people bought new and that have never been apart that when they were took apart had these axles in them.These were both 650's.My 650 has the bigger good ones in the rear and the medium ones up front.I have not personally seen the small splines yet but Have been told other people have.So I don't know on that one.
When you price a set of custom axles you will notice if you ask that they are more than rhinos, teryx's and rzr's.And when I say custom axles I mean from cup to cup.Or from stub axle to stub axle.So in other words new cv's and all.The reason why is the extra splines that the AC ones have for the diff lock.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Loyal Member

That is what I am saying there is a lot of different axles out there and I am 95 percent sure that they had some bleed over through the years.I think the xtz guys are fine and that all of those axles will be like you said and the part numbers you said.But I think that some of the others might have to be verified in case someone has to replace one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl89 View Post
You might have them double check that info, the axles on the XTZ's are 3 different axles: 1502-348 for Left Front, 1502-347 for Right Front, 1502-562 Both Rear.
The 2009 XTX and XT use 1502-347 for Left Front (reverse of XTZ), 1502-348 for Right Front. The XTX uses 1502-347 for Both Rear while the XT uses 1502-346 for Both Rears.
So you can see, for an XTZ, you would need 3 different axles just on the 2009 , the XTX uses 2 different axles and the XT uses 3 different axles. But within the same series (ie:XTZ, XTX, XT), they use the same.
The 07's and 08's take different axles again.
But I've never heard anything that says that within any series that there is 3 sizes of axle other than the above.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Loyal Member

I guess I kinda just went off there.I mean through the years of the older prowlers there are some different things going on.
You guys with the xtz's should all have the better bigger one's.But as far as I know you guys still have two different size splines.No big deal really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post
chris..you have GOT to be kidding...WTF? Seriously? Are you talking about across the product line or the prowler model line?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 07:37 PM

and to make things even more fun the new new new est rear axles for the 1000 have the inner cvs painted white and they now have a locking ring built in the cvs so to put them in or take them out you need to compress the axle into the cv then while compressed pull the cv and axle assembly out .. its a trick little set up but now we are trying to drill and tap the ends of the long travel axles so they work with the cvs the way arctic cat planned lol

623-934-3070
Please understand we support many forums and cant keep up with Private messages or questions on the forum boards so
If you have a question Please Call the Retail Shop 623-934-3070
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Loyal Member

That must be their fix for the axles coming out on the xtz's

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 09:52 PM
cnj
Jounior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
and to make things even more fun the new new new est rear axles for the 1000 have the inner cvs painted white and they now have a locking ring built in the cvs so to put them in or take them out you need to compress the axle into the cv then while compressed pull the cv and axle assembly out .. its a trick little set up but now we are trying to drill and tap the ends of the long travel axles so they work with the cvs the way arctic cat planned lol
Hmmmm. So thaaaaat's why the new axles Prestige installed in my XTZ have white CV's instead of black. Looked odd to me, but now I understand.

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000
Fusion Off-Road Motorsports 2 seat cage
HCR +6 Long Travel w/King 2.0 shocks
Custom seat lowering by Prestige Motorsports
Neri Style SRD II seats
Prestige doors
Autometer water temp and volt gauges
Dirtlights hi-beam HID replacements
LED aux lights
LED tail/brake lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement