Prowler steering rack and pinion - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Arctic Cat Prowler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Prowler steering rack and pinion

Well , I have found an new week link in our prowlers. Went to Superlift's UTV Park in Hot Springs, Arkansas over the weekend.Lots of rough stuff, gravel, large rock and real challenging trails.I have just gotten the new Unisteer, rack -zilla and Electra-steer installed on my 09 XTZ. Really liked it,except for a malfunction on the mounting bracket for the rack. First the bolts came loose on the bracket that let the rack move, that got steering messed up. That could have been from unisteer not tightening the bolts when they installed, but i have not talked to them yet so i will wait to make that determination.Altough they did not have any lock washers on them. We got new bolts and installed. We noticed that bracket was not very strong and entire rack gave a little under pressure from power steering. On Saturday evening the bracket totally gave way and buckled causing the rack tobow up. 6 oclock and saturday in the woods broke down is not good.Thanks to the good sense of my son, Shane , and another good mechanic, Jeff we got the rack bracket ratchet strapped down good enough to limp in to camp. The entire bracket is about the thickness of a good license plate, very thin. Tomorrow i will call unisteer and AC to see if they have encountered any problems with this. I will keep you all informed on what the fix may be. BE WARE The mounting bracket for the rack and pinion is very cheesy and needs to be upgraded for strength.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Rides all the time

Wow...that isn't good. At least you were able to get it backt to camp. Keep us posted.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

I will be on the phone first thing in the morning to Unisteer, and Arctic Cat. Let you know what the outcome is.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowlerbob View Post
Well , I have found an new week link in our prowlers. Went to Superlift's UTV Park in Hot Springs, Arkansas over the weekend.Lots of rough stuff, gravel, large rock and real challenging trails.I have just gotten the new Unisteer, rack -zilla and Electra-steer installed on my 09 XTZ. Really liked it,except for a malfunction on the mounting bracket for the rack. First the bolts came loose on the bracket that let the rack move, that got steering messed up. That could have been from unisteer not tightening the bolts when they installed, but i have not talked to them yet so i will wait to make that determination.Altough they did not have any lock washers on them. We got new bolts and installed. We noticed that bracket was not very strong and entire rack gave a little under pressure from power steering. On Saturday evening the bracket totally gave way and buckled causing the rack tobow up. 6 oclock and saturday in the woods broke down is not good.Thanks to the good sense of my son, Shane , and another good mechanic, Jeff we got the rack bracket ratchet strapped down good enough to limp in to camp. The entire bracket is about the thickness of a good license plate, very thin. Tomorrow i will call unisteer and AC to see if they have encountered any problems with this. I will keep you all informed on what the fix may be. BE WARE The mounting bracket for the rack and pinion is very cheesy and needs to be upgraded for strength.
Yeah I heard that the metal plate the rack bolts to will flex and bend. A guy I met that raced some desert races pointed it out as a problem area.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Jounior Member

I know the broke down on the trail feeling, I had to leave my XTZ up on the mountain this past weekend because of a broken tierod. I brought a welder up and di a trail repair to get it back to the trailer. And now Arctic Cat won't warrenty it because I welded it. So I guess I was supposed to leave it up on the mountain until I was approved for warranty, some how had a dealer mechanic go up on the mountain and install it. Mean time it would be ran sacked and stripped and of course I would be responsible for that. The mechanics at the shop just shook there heads and said I wouldn't buy another Arctic Cat. They said they have seen to many problems with them, and they ment anything UTV's ATv's, and sleds. I have had a sled and now the UTV and I had no arguement. I'm hoping to unload this pile on some poor bastard. and give up on the UTV's until someone makes something worth having.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Loyal Member

So your gonna get rid of it for a 20.00 dollar tie rod not being warrantied?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Jounior Member

Unfortunately Iíve experienced both of the challenges above. A couple months ago I snapped the tie rod and drove in reverse 6 miles (get back to the trailer)Ö Replaced it with a GearOne Rack and RodsÖ Fortunately as of yet I havenít bent the bracket.

A few weeks later I was riding up at Lake Powell and the steering was real loose. Looked at my new rack and one of the nuts came off the bolt and the other was extremely loose. I replaced the bolts and put on lock washers but havenít had the opportunity to give it a good run.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Jounior Member

No because after owning a few Arctic Cat vehicles, I am sick of them using their customers as ginnie pigs. As far as money goes, I need two tie rods and one tie rod end thats about $60, I have less than 300 miles in it and had to leave it on the mountain once already, if something would have happened too it I would be out $500 for my deductable. I spent almost $1000 on my sled trying to fix the belt burning problems, and now I'm feeling like a tool for buying another A/C. Some people say the RZR is no better but after watching my buddy beat his worse than I would ever do to anything on purpose, then drive away without a single problem, and his weighs at least 300# less than mine but still holds together. That makes me think that A/C is just throwing junk out there and letting us spend the time and money to repair their short comings. Just to get this thing where it should be from the factory I'll have to have the rollers switched in the clutching (for high alttitude) replace the tie rods and tie rod ends, reinforce the rack and pinion mount. replace the rear springs with heavier duty springs, replace the glove box cover that blew off. replace the light bulbs so I can actually see at night, which will probably require a stronger alternator. And thats just the mechanical stuff the Roll cage is about as ugly as can be and the stock shocks are horrible, if you don't believe me ride in a rhino or in a Prowler that has aftermarket shocks.

Last edited by Needspeed; 10-20-2009 at 05:42 PM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Loyal Member

I have beat the crap out of mine for almost four years now and never had a problem with the plate that the rack bolts too. My guess on that one is the steering when turned to the lock found the weakest link and started flexing it. That can happen with power steering. Not a big deal when you turn it to the lock by hand. But throw in electric over hydraulic and that plate was not designed for that kind of pressure. Who ever did the kit should have looked at that. As far as selling a vehicle because of a broke tie rod or two and losing 3000.00-4000.00 dollars you have got to be kidding me.And as far as the rzr goes we will see what his frame looks like in a year or two more of doing that. I have a good idea what it will look like because of friends that have some. I will say that if you think the others don't have their fair share of problems you are mistaken. I ride with just about all of them and there is not one of them that does not have problems. Do yourself a favor and pop into the other brand sites. You might just figure out that what you have is not all that bad.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandchris View Post
I have beat the crap out of mine for almost four years now and never had a problem with the plate that the rack bolts too. My guess on that one is the steering when turned to the lock found the weakest link and started flexing it. That can happen with power steering. Not a big deal when you turn it to the lock by hand. But throw in electric over hydraulic and that plate was not designed for that kind of pressure. Who ever did the kit should have looked at that. As far as selling a vehicle because of a broke tie rod or two and losing 3000.00-4000.00 dollars you have got to be kidding me.And as far as the rzr goes we will see what his frame looks like in a year or two more of doing that. I have a good idea what it will look like because of friends that have some. I will say that if you think the others don't have their fair share of problems you are mistaken. I ride with just about all of them and there is not one of them that does not have problems. Do yourself a favor and pop into the other brand sites. You might just figure out that what you have is not all that bad.
Its true they all have there short comings and weak links.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement