Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Overheating

13K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  Fairmont79 
#1 ·
Hey group. Well my good ride was followed by a not so good ride this past weekend. Rode about 10 miles and the bike was running hot. Stopped, had lunch and continued on. When I got back the bike was through a code and overheating along with puking radiator fluid.

Tonight I got a second to look at it and first put a little rad fluid in. Started it up and got up to about 150 or so and the radiator had fluid coming out of the overflow. 175 and it was spitting it out pretty good. BTW, I did hose down the radiator pretty good to get it as clean as possible.

Do you think the rad cap could be bad? Also, have any of you added a coolant overflow? Finally, what temp is the fan supposed to come on? Mine seems to be about 187.

Thanks

#2 ·
I'll start by saying I don't have answers to your questions........just some observations from working on other machines/vehicles over the years. Spewing coolant at 150 F is super strange. My 1st thought is that the cap is weak, or there is corrosion/debris on the rad/cap seal surface. As far as I have read the fan should be kicking in in the mid 180's. I'm not familiar with the HDX's instrumentation........so, it has a temperature gauge built into the console? Or is this aftermarket? I know many here have installed aftermarket on their non-hdx's and have found them quite fool proof. I don't have a coolant overflow.

I know........not much help, but hopefully we will see others chime in here soon. There's a lot of knowledge here ready to be shared.

#3 ·
no leaks along the system right ? as above start with cap [that can be tested BTW ] most good auto mechanics have a tester or one of the auto parts stores might have a loaner one.

hoses in good shape and not collapsing ?

water pump working ?

just some thoughts that come to mind.

#4 ·
I have the 2009 700 XTX, I added a coolant recovery tank off of a XTZ model. I think later model Prowlers started to include them. Not sure of the year. I bought mine off ebay for less than 10 dollars. 187 for the fan sounds about right. I see a 20+ degree drop during a fan cycle.

#6 ·
After I posted that I don't have an overflow for my coolant, while I was doing my remote battery post mountings I did notice that I indeed DO have a recovery tank. As RD mentioned, the XTZ does have this as standard. here is one right now on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-ARCTIC-CAT-PROWLER-XTZ-1000-COOLANT-OVERFLOW-JUG-RESIVORE/142645622067?hash=item2136577533:g:3zAAAOSwQN5aToUm And here is the part number: 0413-086 new from Babbits $25. It mounts on the right side (passenger side) of the radiator. I'll try to remember when I get home to take a pic and post it.

#5 ·
Well...I ended up replacing the radiator cap with a higher pressure one and no more coolant leaking out up to 189 degrees. I also wired my fan so that I can turn it on at any time I want as well as keeping it wired through the thermostat. So far so good. I believe I am also going to try and hunt down a coolant recovery tank just in case.

#8 ·
So here's the photo of the recovery tank on my XTZ. Looks like a simple mount setup.

edit .............btw, awesome that you picked up that one on eBay!! That's great!!

#9 ·
So here's the photo of the recovery tank on my XTZ. Looks like a simple mount setup.

edit .............btw, awesome that you picked up that one on eBay!! That's great!!
Should be here by the 14th. Thanks for the photo also. That will help when I go to install it. That one on e-bay wasn't a bad deal because it came with everything. The new ones only come with the bottle and nothing else.

I have a weekend camping trip coming up on the 22nd so hopefully the Prowler does good.

#14 ·
That's great. Wouldn't want you to have to hike out from somewhere cause you couldn't back it out of something!!!! :)

#20 ·
Off Roaders are great people! Always willing to help others! What comes around, goes around!

Reactions: GTroyer and Paxx
#21 ·
Prowler did well again this weekend on about a 50 mile ride. However, the gear selector started acting up again. When I put the new one in I could not for the life of me get it securely plugged in. I added zip ties which seemed fine until this weekend. I believe the heat loosened the zip ties enough that the connector was loose. Anyone have a problem plugging back in the gear selector plug? Any tips to get it plugged back in?

#22 ·
I melted one of mine, got online and found just what I need!~ Country Cay also has connectors in stock!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.