Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Belt Problems

10K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Kat n Hat 
#1 ·
I just installed a new belt on my 08 700 xtx and it started slipping up a steep sand hill. The old belt had 700 miles on it and showed very little wear. I replaced it anyway since I had everything apart and needed a spare.
Is there a wear it time for new belts?
Who makes the best belts?
Thanks

#4 ·
Factory belts are the best.
A few things come to mind regarding your belt slipping problem. How do you know your belt is slipping?

When you changed your belt did you clean the sheave faces and get rid of any glazing? Did you inspect your rollers? Flat spotted rollers or egg shaped with cause partial clutch engaugement. Just a few ideas.

Checking your belt condition during oil changes can help catch your belt before it breaks. The belt also has a min thinckness for or discard specs.

Hope this helps
Seth

#6 ·
Factory Belt

#7 ·
It only started splipping when I was at full thottle and was digging in hard, that when I can hear the rubber sqealing.
It only has 700 hrs on it and it worked perfectly with the old belt. The old belt was not glazed at all.
I can take the clutch apart to inspect it, it looks very diffcult to get to. I have been using Factor Belts, but also heard some people did use another brand and were happy with them.

#10 ·
If you look closely at the sheeves you will notice that they are not the perfectly machined aluminum that they were when they were new. They probably have a few grooves in them from top to bottom. Also the new belt is not as clean as it is after that first good ride or two. I mean it has some high and low spots in it when new. So until the belt is broke in and those high spots match the low ones you are not getting 100 percent contact. They are ptobably pretty close but not as good as if they had some break in time on them. My opinion is that the two easiest times to smoke a belt are when they are new and when they are old and glazed. As far as when they are broke in that would depend on the type of riding you do. I just try and not load the belt too hard until they have at least a few miles on them. Preferably more if possible.

#12 ·
Now that makes perfect sense, I am going to replace the belt again with another new one, It did feel stiff when I put it in. I will clean my sides of my clutch and drive and take it slow for some time. Some of the problem was the day it went out for the first time was nothing but sand and hills. Thanks so much, this forum is great.

#13 ·
When you clean your sheaves take a red scotch brite pad and take the glaze off. You won't hurt them at all. Try to get a nice non directional pattern. Then clean them off really good with alcohol and white terrry cloth towl. White will allow you to know when the sheaves are clean by looking at the towl. They are clean when you make your last wipe and the towl looks white. I have also had good luck washing the belt in warm mild soapy water to get some of the waxie film off.

Seth

#14 ·
Is it a big job to change the belt? is there a kit I could put together to have on my machine so I could change the belt out on the trail?

#19 ·
I will explain how in a bit. If you want to PM me your # I will call you and we can talk about it.

Seth[/quote]

Right on.. will do

#21 ·
This is good info and would explain why my new belt (dealer installed) didnt last 30 miles. Are we suposed to put it in 4-low for hill climbs? Ive heard that before but it just seams to high RPM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.