2006 Prowler brake problem - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler Safety Discussions Arctic Cat Prowler safety discussions.
Cages, armor, seating, belts, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

2006 Prowler brake problem

Hi guys,
I put the brake system to a good test last weekend. When driving down a few really steep grades, getting the brakes very warm I encountered a no pedal problem. When I would apply the brakes the pedal would go to the floor. I would hit the pedal a second time I might get 1/2 or 3/4 pedal, but with a hard pedal I could ride the brakes without any pedal fade. This would only happen when the brakes would get hot. Normal braking when they were cool. I did notice that the brake res cap indicates DOT 3 and the 2007 service manual calls for DOT 4. Any ideas? I am thinking, I was reaching the fluid boiling point. I am going to flush out the system with DOT 4 synthic.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

So I take it no one else is having any brake problems?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Founding Member

I havn't had that problem. Looks like your running some extra weight?
Let us know if the DOT 4 makes a difference.

2006 Red Prowler

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

I am flushing the system this weekend in preporation for a Crown King trip the following. I will get back with you on the DOT 4 change.

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Founding Member

I threw the park brake in the garbage can. My friend prowler blew the rear brake caliper seal once climbing a hill in the cinders and had the pleasure of coming down hill backwards with no brakes.. He said that was nerve wracking.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 02:48 AM
Founding Member

What you are describing is probably caused by bad brake fluid. When I say bad I mean you probably overheated the brakes to the point of boiling your brake fluid.. (like you were thinking) Once you boil the brake fluid you get moisture in the system and the only way you will get rid of it is to do exactly what you are thinking, flush the brake fluid!

FYI, this is true of your truck also.. If you are experiencing brake fade or pedal pressure problems, DO THIS!!! You will not be sorry.. If you can't do it yourself, pay someone to do it, It will be the best money you ever spend.

And as for what Warlock said about tossing your e-brake, I couldn't agree more! To make it work decent at all, you have to re-clock the arm or adjust it till you have a slight bit of drag..

I tossed mine and installed a "park-lok"
Pro's - It works awesome, Put your foot on the brakes, hit the park-lok and your vehicle WILL actually hold..

Con's - It works via hydraulics, so if you had a fluid leak and your brakes fail, so will it. But hey that POS stocker e-brake isn't going to save you anyway!

Hang tight and you will be able to buy the rear disc brake set-up from a XTZ (4 wheel disc) and believe me it works WAAAY better!

XTZ 1000 Motor Swap : MB Cage : Aluminum Roof : Jones Fab Wing and Sheet Metal : Rattle Snakes w/OMF Beadlocks : Morphic Acuated Light bar : 6 4" Fuegos : 8" Lowered Beard Seats : K&R Performance Air Arm : Aluminum Radiator : CVT Blower : PLX Wide Band : Lowrance Baja 450c : Diecast Playcars Long Travel : Driveline Alternator : 4 Wheel Disc Brakes : 3.1 Gears : Full Bore Rear Fenders : Dual HID Head Lights : Horn Blasters Air Horns : Simpson 5 Point Harness : Trick Performance V Gauge :
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Loyal Member

Park lock on mine too.Works perfect and no drag from reclocking.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

please tell me more about the park lock!!

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Founding Member

It gets plumbed in line with your brakes.
Brake line goes from master (rear brake feed) to park-lok out of park-lok to a tee, then to my rear brakes..
Simple and very effective..
Hit your brakes, push the park-lok let off the brake pedal and your rear brakes are applied.
Push on the brake pedal again and it releases the park-lok..

XTZ 1000 Motor Swap : MB Cage : Aluminum Roof : Jones Fab Wing and Sheet Metal : Rattle Snakes w/OMF Beadlocks : Morphic Acuated Light bar : 6 4" Fuegos : 8" Lowered Beard Seats : K&R Performance Air Arm : Aluminum Radiator : CVT Blower : PLX Wide Band : Lowrance Baja 450c : Diecast Playcars Long Travel : Driveline Alternator : 4 Wheel Disc Brakes : 3.1 Gears : Full Bore Rear Fenders : Dual HID Head Lights : Horn Blasters Air Horns : Simpson 5 Point Harness : Trick Performance V Gauge :
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Loyal Member

You can even mount it the parking brake release hole if you like.I got a front caliper and replaced the e brake rear caliper with a front one.That was after i smoked the rear brakes,rotor pads and probably caliper from the e brake left on for way to long.OOPS
Hey desert cat Let me know where you want that copy sent.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement