suspension vs tubs - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler Safety Discussions Arctic Cat Prowler safety discussions.
Cages, armor, seating, belts, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

suspension vs tubs

Ok,,

I know this has been covered in many offroad forums but i am curious as to what some people here think. Suspension seats or tubs? I think most use suspensions here, except maybe flying121, but his isnt an AC anymore..lol I am leaning away from suspension seats at the moment even though i have a set.

Split

Prowler 1k - "El Diablo Del Gato"
dude..it rocks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Rides all the time

Why are you leaning away from them?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

seeing some research that indicates suspension seats flex too much and increase spine injury in offroad crashes. Of course its all relative to who does the reporting.... if you have stock AC suspension you may want to have a suspension seat anyways..lol, and i am talking higher speed off road crashes and G-outs...

dude..it rocks...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 12:43 PM

I always wondered why the term "Suspension" seats were used... It makes me think of the seats that are in a Semi that are Suspended on air or on springs in the old days...

2009 Arctic Cat Prowler XTZ1000

GAMERS check out my Gaming Channel WhatsMyGame https://www.youtube.com/user/rcevolution74
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Founding Member

Suspension seats all the way for me. I've been involved with many discussions on suspension versus tub and have been involved with off-road racing for many years. I'm friends with quite a few of the SCORE and BITD racers and the majority of us prefer suspension. There are a few that argue the points you've listed, but the same argument can be made that the tub seats have no give and transfer 100% of the impact to the spine. I've ridden in trophy trucks with suspension and tub seats and can say that the ride in the suspension seats was less jarring to me.

The pro-tub crowd's argument is that the suspension seats allow you to move downward on impact from a jump, then the seat sudden'y stops your acceleration abruptly, causing the spine injury. Hey, forces are forces and unless the laws of physics have been modified, and abrupt stop to the spine whether at the end of a suspension seat's sag or at the sudden stop of the tub, they forces will be the same. And have you sat in a tub seat for a few hundred miles? I have...no fun, I won't do it again.

The pro of a tub seat is that you can cinch down on the seatbelts and get no movement out of the body whereas you still will have a little movement on a suspension seat and the tub seats usually cost quite a bit less than a good quality suspension seat. The con of the tub seat is it transmits every bump, every shock to your body. And over a long race, will fatigue the heck out of you. The suspension seat absorbs some of the small stuff.

Go to a SCORE race and ask Robby Pierce, Bj Baldwin, Pistol Pete Sohren, Rich Klein (Lil Rich), and others. You'll get an overwhelming response from most of them, suspension seats are the way to go. But the caveat is, you better choose a good one though. A cheap suspension seat is much worse than a tub seat any day.

Bottom line though, you need to decide what kind of driving you will do. Are you building a SCORE legal competition vehicle. Or are you sandduning, or trail-riding...

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Founding Member

Split, have you been hanging out on the race-dezert forums and listening to Chad Ragland? We've met and I will say, he's very adamant about Sparco style tub seats because he's had his father and several friends injured. But suffice to say, those guys probably would've been injured in tub style seats too.
I know Robby Pierce and Chad have had some quite heated exchanges over this. Robby by the way is the owner of MasterCraft Safety and races SCORE using suspension seats.

Here's a recent post from the ongoing discussion there:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMETALWORX
Now i can say this, i've raced dirt track in a tub seat.. An aluminum kirkey, very comfortable.. Still you have to tighten your belts often.. That being said, you must keep your belts tight as hell... Have any of you seen these trophy truck in-car vids, when you know they're in a tub seat, and you see them bouncing all over the place in the seat? And the truck stays flat and smooth. How safe do you think that would be? When i get out of the car, sometimes i need help unhooking my belts, cuz they're so tight.. I obviously don't know how to post a vid, or i would post my in-car vid, from parker where you can see my co-dawg bouncing all over the place, and i'm just sitting there not moving hardly @ all, in a suspension seat.. I would like to give a tub type a shot sometime though.. Just so i could see the differences for myself.
Backs get broken in tubs seats too on the big hits... Ken Block in a jump in his rally car...result, broken back...
#

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

nope, just looking to find out what and why everyone runs what they do. I can see pro's and con's in both really. I wonder what the dragon fire guys run in their rig? or Jim from BiPolar? I think you are right Daryl that an impact is an impact and there are a lot of factors involved in crashes. Thx Split

dude..it rocks...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Jounior Member

I too have seen the debates on RDC, and I really dont think there is any empirical evidence for either the tubs or the suspension seats.

Proper harness placement could play a role as well.

Darryl are you going to be running the same seats in your new build?

2009 Orange XTZ
Prestige Motorsports 4 seat cage, tie rods. UtvInc skids, half doors. 1.5in wheel spacers.

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...html#post37739
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post
Ok,,

I know this has been covered in many offroad forums but i am curious as to what some people here think. Suspension seats or tubs? I think most use suspensions here, except maybe flying121, but his isnt an AC anymore..lol I am leaning away from suspension seats at the moment even though i have a set.

Split
My Sparco seats are a suspension seat.

Designed with styling cues from our collaboration with Lamborghini, the Chrono-Road will add performance, comfort, and style to any car. Full suspension bottom, generous sizing and aggressive bolstering are sure to make the Chrono-Road a popular choice.

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal2ks View Post
Darryl are you going to be running the same seats in your new build?
Yes, I'm going to keep using the Beard Super TZs. They have been great, good containment and even after some hellacious hits, they always felt comfortable. I really like them so far.
But, if I had the money and had to do it all over again, I would also give very serious consideration to MasterCraft Safety's 3G Seats. They look like the best seats on the market, have been tested in several trophy trucks in some of the harshest races, and do their job over and over again.

TEAM PROWLER NATION...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement