Safety alert - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler Safety Discussions Arctic Cat Prowler safety discussions.
Cages, armor, seating, belts, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Safety alert

WARNING: SHIFTER MECHANISM TROUBLE. BRAKE CABLE SHEATHING AND SEAT BUCKET MELTING!

Hi everyone. Got a couple of things for everyone to check on their Prowlers.

While working on the Prowler, I noticed that about 4 inches of the sheathing on the parking brake cable on my XTZ was melted below the muffler area, exposing the metal flex cable. I stopped and asked at my dealer and he is going to check with arctic cat, but I noticed on the brand new XTZ in front, the cable sheilding was about 4-5 inches longer than on my 2009 (like in the attached photo).
Here is a photo of the area I got from the fireinvestigators thread. My heat sheild on the parking brake cable is 4-5 inches shorter, so the area above the curve of the cable is all exposed.

Been searching and found nothing. But I wonder??? Could this melting cable have started fires that I have been reading about????

Another melting part... The last time I worked on the prowler, the plastic passenger seat mounting bucket was also melting right above the exhaust manifold Y. There is a tape-on heat sheild there that was torn, and the plastic bucket was actually melting from the heat. This caused me to buy high temp manifold wrap, and wrap both pipes of the manifold back to the muffler. I also added a metal heat shield from the existing one forward to the back side of the engine. But reading about these fires being blamed on the parking brake, sure is making me wonder if it is the heat from the exhaust system turning plastic parts into flames!!!

Also--
Next time you have your engine cover off, check the star pattern bolts holding the shifter arm/knob mechanism in place. There are two on each side.
While out riding yesterday, the shifter knob started hitting the faceplate when placing tranny in LOW. Checked it out today, and BOTH bolts on the passenger side were gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Loyal Member

Good post.

I had a post up about this when I first bought my XTZ. I noticed the heat shield around the park brake cable was zip tied to high up and wouldn't protect were it needed to. I just moved it down and have had no problems since. I have added some heat shielding of my own around the rear park brake area using Thermotech wrap and it seems to help a lot. Thanks for posting this as a reminder for everyone to check your vehicle out from front to back for these kinds of problems. Be pro active and make the changes needed before you have a problem.

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Lifetime Member

Yep I have to agree!! we really need to keep checking our vehicles, I have found several similar problems.

I have found several problems on my Rhino also. just sayen don't want to be bashing my kitty all the time

http://utvweekly.com/index.php/2009/11/ricks-arctic-cat-prowler-1000/

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation More loose nuts and bolts!

Hey again everyone! Just had my passenger seat about fall off the XTZ. Luckily I had it belted in even with no passenger sitting in it.
Both bolts that hold the retainer clip on the front bottom of the seat dropped out and were found on the passenger floorboard.
After collecting the bolts and lock-nuts and getting home, I also checked the drivers seat and found one bolt and nut missing!
Now mind you, I have these seats off at least once or twice a week, so CHECK YOURS AS SOON AS YOU CAN!
STILL LOVING THIS MACHINE! YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement