cvt filter - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler Safety Discussions Arctic Cat Prowler safety discussions.
Cages, armor, seating, belts, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

cvt filter

Hello all, just returned from great trip to desert with xtz, wife denies it but apparently left p-brake engaged a few clicks. We all know what happens next, thankful fire was relatively small, and put out fast with extinguisher I mounted on board. Fire destroyed what appears to be horseshoe shaped cvt filter ducting behind pass seat below bed. Looking for info on any cvt filter kits....as I,m sure factory parts to replace the damage won't be cheap. I'm thinking a k&n type filter with outerwear, mounted high under bed behind seats? Also, since p-brake rotor is warped, any thoughts on ditching the rotor/caliper assembly altogether? Thank you for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Loyal Member

rizzo with the rollers in the clutch being so easily damaged by the heat that the filter will add from not enough air Flo I would not do it. A lot of guys used to do that in the beginning and have got away from doing that because of not enough air flow to the cvt. Especially here in the southwest. Yes it did happen to me too. Melted the rollers first trip out after I put the filter on. We were doing some slow trails that had some pretty steep hills involved and flattened the rollers on my old 650 motor.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Sandchris, thank you for the info......I hadn't thought of that.....guess I'll be needin to see parts guy at dealership and pulling out wallet.......would have rather spent money on airdam upgrade than repairs

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:04 PM

Did yo just melt the vent for the cvt? If so get crafty and make one with pvc plumbing pipes & elbows with no filter. The one on the back is the outlet for cvt the front is the inlet.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Jounior Member

I melted all the same parts you did, and they were soooo cheap. Don't worry about the price, just fix it the right way.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Jounior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo View Post
Hello all, just returned from great trip to desert with xtz, wife denies it but apparently left p-brake engaged a few clicks. We all know what happens next, thankful fire was relatively small, and put out fast with extinguisher I mounted on board. Fire destroyed what appears to be horseshoe shaped cvt filter ducting behind pass seat below bed. Looking for info on any cvt filter kits....as I,m sure factory parts to replace the damage won't be cheap. I'm thinking a k&n type filter with outerwear, mounted high under bed behind seats? Also, since p-brake rotor is warped, any thoughts on ditching the rotor/caliper assembly altogether? Thank you for any suggestions.
As far as ditching the brake rotor and caliper, I'm not sure if i would do that, cause you would not have any rear braking, BUT there is a post on here on how to get rid of the e-brake and installing a line brake instead, which would end your worries of leavin the brake on again and burning down your machine. Here is the link. http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...-problems.html Sorry Its a line lock Not line brake..
Iam going to do this to mine before my next trip.

Last edited by Dnspream; 04-05-2010 at 08:00 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's replies...it was rear cvt ducting that wasn't as bad from dealership as I would've thought......also purchased new rotor and caliper, so I'll be back new/fresh as from factory. Now, Sandchris regarding burning up clutch rollers......rig was towed back to camp after fire, seemed to load in trailer just fine......if I burned up rollers would it slip similar to a smoked clutch on a bike?.......I'm hoping for best but Mike at Prestige had spoke about a clutch upgrade he was happy with.....Sandchris got wheels in my head turning......especially since sand trip with paddles will be in near future....any thoughts guys......and thanks to Mike for answering my questions on phone long distance......can't say enough about the guys professionalism.....highly recommended vendor in my book for what it's worth
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:14 PM

I've got a guy working on a filter for the cvt, he's come up with a new material that he thinks will do the job without overheating the cvt.

Same guy that does the gas filter I'm running, shown in the picture.

PROFILL MAIN PAGE ATV01

2010 Prowler XTZ 1000-
27" Grim Reaper Tires/Home Made Roof/Arctic Cat Mirror/Quadboss Folding Windshield w/ home made support bar/LED Tail-Brake lights//Venom 4000 lb Winch/Amsteel synthetic line/Home Made Doors/Custom Adjustable Seats/Custom Oh Crap bar for passenger/Tonneau Cover/Fat Max storage Box in bed
Tiger Tail Towing system
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Rides all the time

Cool setup on the filter Triple J. Keep us posted on CVT filter.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 05:24 PM

The gas filter rocks, I was running a Mr. Funnel and finding a lot of crap coming out of the pumps so when I discussed with him about making one for the Prowler (He was already making them for atv's) and he said he could do it I got one in a hurry. Filling up out on the trail is a lot less hassle now plus don't have to worry about toting the funnel around.

I'll definately let you know what comes of the CVT filter. Last I corresponded with him he was thinking making it like a sock and then a clamp to keep in place, but that may change as production comes about.

2010 Prowler XTZ 1000-
27" Grim Reaper Tires/Home Made Roof/Arctic Cat Mirror/Quadboss Folding Windshield w/ home made support bar/LED Tail-Brake lights//Venom 4000 lb Winch/Amsteel synthetic line/Home Made Doors/Custom Adjustable Seats/Custom Oh Crap bar for passenger/Tonneau Cover/Fat Max storage Box in bed
Tiger Tail Towing system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement