The cat is ready for its new cage
My new UTV Crap 4 seat cage is scheduled for delivery this week. Since I have a trip planned and am running against the clock to get ready, I decided to get the Prowler ready for the cage. The removal of the original cage would not have been a big deal at all, except I had to deal with my stereo. Pretty much as I anticipated. Then I noticed that the tabs for the inboard sides of the seat belts are burried under the doghouse. Luckily, I had a new stick of 1" steel flat bar. So, I made some extensions to attach the harnesses to. Is this how others do it? Next, I realized that I had forgotten the tail/brake light was mounted to the original cage. I scratched my head for a while, then cut a couple more pieces of bar and mounted it above the rear hitch, using the existing holes in the frame and the light. I was initially concerned that the bar would have too much flex, but it proved to be more than strong enough. It was quite easy to do. The wiring was more than long enough with no cutting or splicing required. It sits far enough behind the muffler that I shouldn't have any problems from heat and I even tilted the bed while I was routing the wires and had plenty of clearance. Of course, I won't be tilting the bed once the new cage is installed. I am happy with the way it all worked out and thrilled that I found and dealt with the harness issue early. I hope to get the cage painted through the week, so I can install it and the harnesses next weekend.