The cat is ready for its new cage - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler Safety Discussions Arctic Cat Prowler safety discussions.
Cages, armor, seating, belts, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

The cat is ready for its new cage

My new UTV Crap 4 seat cage is scheduled for delivery this week. Since I have a trip planned and am running against the clock to get ready, I decided to get the Prowler ready for the cage. The removal of the original cage would not have been a big deal at all, except I had to deal with my stereo. Pretty much as I anticipated. Then I noticed that the tabs for the inboard sides of the seat belts are burried under the doghouse. Luckily, I had a new stick of 1" steel flat bar. So, I made some extensions to attach the harnesses to. Is this how others do it? Next, I realized that I had forgotten the tail/brake light was mounted to the original cage. I scratched my head for a while, then cut a couple more pieces of bar and mounted it above the rear hitch, using the existing holes in the frame and the light. I was initially concerned that the bar would have too much flex, but it proved to be more than strong enough. It was quite easy to do. The wiring was more than long enough with no cutting or splicing required. It sits far enough behind the muffler that I shouldn't have any problems from heat and I even tilted the bed while I was routing the wires and had plenty of clearance. Of course, I won't be tilting the bed once the new cage is installed. I am happy with the way it all worked out and thrilled that I found and dealt with the harness issue early. I hope to get the cage painted through the week, so I can install it and the harnesses next weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Jounior Member

Here's a tip for you no one told me. If you're going with a 4 seater and are using a UTV rear seat base. You have to mount the rear seat before you install your cage. Why? You have to tilt the bed to access the front seat base bolts that are hidden when the bed is down. If you forget to do this, you'll have to pull your cage so you can tilt the bed.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Thanks for the tip. Fortunately, that is not gonna be an issue for me, but its good to put that out there for everyone else to see, because they may find themselves in the same boat later on. I did my own rear seats a couple years ago. I mounted a pair of channels in the bed floor, probably using the same bolts as yours. My seats are mounted on another pair of channels that run side to side. They bolt down to the other channels, so 4 bolts on top remove everything except the rails on the floor. My goal was getting the seats mounted securely without drilling any holes in the Prowler itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement