***Safety Alert*** - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler Safety Discussions Arctic Cat Prowler safety discussions.
Cages, armor, seating, belts, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Loyal Member

***Safety Alert***

This could happen to any one of us. I am not calling anyone out or trying to embarrass anyone. I am simply trying to prevent a tragedy.

We had a few members and friends that had a close call with the grim reaper (not the tires) a day ago. I can't stress enough how important it is that everyone that rides as a passenger or drives your side x side understands how the seat belts function and the fire extinguishers are removed and actuated during a fire. As a pilot I train on a yearly basis on how the safety equipment functions on my airplane and how to perform CPR and use the AED in an emergency. This stuff is serious and it is a fact that proper training can save lives. It is so important that we educate our wife, girlfriend, kids, family and friends on the use of all the safety equipment that they have available to them. One way to help people understand the use of the seat belt is to have them practice getting out of it with their eyes closed to simulate a dark night or temporary loss of vision due to sand or fluids etc.. Please take the time before each ride to go over these simple steps to ensure everyones safety.

Regards,

Todd

Last edited by flying121; 10-10-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 06:28 PM

No need to name names, but what happened? One thing that scares me is that I don't think my 6 year old could unbuckle himself in an emergency, something I need to work on.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Jounior Member

First off have a fire extinguisher with you I caught mine on fire and was lucky enuf to be able to put it out with a bottle of water. May not be so lucky next time

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 07:18 PM

I need one too. We do practice saftey most of the time. My wife gets full CPR certs. every year. Another thing is to know wear you are so help can find you. Ive seen it on the lake and in the forest too many times. GPS...
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Rides all the time

Good call that reminds me this winter I need to make my front belts easier to remove.
Since I lowered my seats and got the Factory High backs the release button is kinda hard to reach.
Now that you mention it I have noticed some passangers fumble buckling and unbuckling.

This will get priority this winter. We are pretty much done riding as temps are only reaching 30* during the day.
Also I don't have a fire ext installed yet.
I have caught my mud drag truck on fire in the middle of a run and it was scary.
I have never seen my wife move that fast. I yelled fire and like a shot from a shotgun she was out the door.
On a side note I grabbed my fire ext. while buckled and tossed it to a track official. Then he just stood there with a deer in the headlights look.

So if at possible try to put out your own fire.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 06:58 AM

riddler that sucks, our "winter" is over here and we are getting ready to ride. I think everyone that owns a cat needs a fire extinguisher in these cars for sure, no doubt. I am def adding one before i start riding.

Prowler 1k - "El Diablo Del Gato"
dude..it rocks...
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 08:25 AM

all of this is great info ! we alos have to remember TO use our saftey equiptment and make sure all passengers know how too and what to do in a emergency !

heres a great video of a guy last week in Badlands offraod park at the KOH quailfier on 10-3-10 . a good reminder that stock seat belts suck and a helmet is only good if you buckle it ! hes luck to walk away

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soazcat View Post
all of this is great info ! we alos have to remember TO use our saftey equiptment and make sure all passengers know how too and what to do in a emergency !

heres a great video of a guy last week in Badlands offraod park at the KOH quailfier on 10-3-10 . a good reminder that stock seat belts suck and a helmet is only good if you buckle it ! hes luck to walk away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_O_j50UIvg
Very lucky to be alive after being ejected like that. Thanks for sharing the video. He need's to upgrade that suspension for sure. Watch that in slow motion again when the car first hits the ground it bottoms so hard that the rebound energy was to much for the suspension to handle.

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyansCat View Post
No need to name names, but what happened? One thing that scares me is that I don't think my 6 year old could unbuckle himself in an emergency, something I need to work on.
A few guys were borrowing another guys car for a spin in the dark and the car started fire. One of the guys couldn't get his seat belt off right away and he couldn't see anything because of pitch darkness. He managed to get out eventually. They were not familiar with the fire extinguisher mount and failed at getting the fire extinguisher to release from the bracket. Could have been much worse and no one was injured from what I understand.

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Jounior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying121 View Post
A few guys were borrowing another guys car for a spin in the dark and the car started fire. One of the guys couldn't get his seat belt off right away and he couldn't see anything because of pitch darkness. He managed to get out eventually. They were not familiar with the fire extinguisher mount and failed at getting the fire extinguisher to release from the bracket. Could have been much worse and no one was injured from what I understand.

Glad I bought the fire extinguisher a couple weeks ago or it could have been much worse....... We are fortunate that no one was hurt, also without the fire extinguisher it would have burnt to the ground.

We learned a lesson not to mount it near the engine cover. Crow harnesses are great, but you have to be able to find the red release strap which in the dark and during a panic can be difficult. If it wasn't for the driver and passenger also owning an XTZ as well, I would have been more concerned prior to letting them take it...

I dropped it at the shop this morning for them to do an assessment of the damage. They've already placed a call into arctic cat and are waiting to hear back. I have a few options that I'm weighing out...

Anyone that has dealt with a fire with their XTZ, please send me a PM.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement