When will I roll over? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler Safety Discussions Arctic Cat Prowler safety discussions.
Cages, armor, seating, belts, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

When will I roll over?

Does anyone have any good idea of what angle the average 2008 650XT can handle (sideways and climbing)? I thought of jacking it up in the garage and seeing how good the center of gravity is. I was thinking of buying an inclinometer for the dash to let me know when I might be getting close to dumping it over. Lots different than an ATV where you think nothing of putting both feet on the same peg to keep it wheels down. Now being belted in a heavier machine and often with a child in the passenger seat I am a bit skiddish about hills. Even at a crawl it seems like if the machine decides its going to dump over there is nothing I will be able to do to stop it. (No training wheels jokes, please)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsRide View Post
Does anyone have any good idea of what angle the average 2008 650XT can handle (sideways and climbing)? I thought of jacking it up in the garage and seeing how good the center of gravity is. I was thinking of buying an inclinometer for the dash to let me know when I might be getting close to dumping it over. Lots different than an ATV where you think nothing of putting both feet on the same peg to keep it wheels down. Now being belted in a heavier machine and often with a child in the passenger seat I am a bit skiddish about hills. Even at a crawl it seems like if the machine decides its going to dump over there is nothing I will be able to do to stop it. (No training wheels jokes, please)
I actually think an inclinometer is dangerous. I had one in my Montero and I quickly learned to stop watching it. Every hill and off camber situation is different, you may be tooling along just under the tip limit but your front wheel suddenly catches a root or rock and sends you over while your eyes are on the meter. Getting a feel for the limit through experience is best. I put my kids out when I think I might be near the limit.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 03:55 PM

i agree with ryan...anything thats not part of the machine will change your CG eg, cooler with beer/ice.. although flyinlow may attest to sticking your leg out on the way over... just take her out n dump her!! i think these things may surprise you, i've had mine on an incline with the front wheels off the ground.. it was close...

Prowler 1k - "El Diablo Del Gato"
dude..it rocks...

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 05:09 PM

generally they are safe up to the angle in which the tires on one side leave the ground thats my technical opinnon . and i fell over on flat ground !~
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 05:35 PM

We`ve put them on inclines sideways on purpose and tipped them up,you are fairly safe at 45degrees.now that was an unmanned,unloaded non moving test so be careful.i can tell you it feels scarier then it really is.some times 15 deg feels like your flippn. Just do some static testing of your own so that you have an idea.then after that it just a matter of getting used to it. As far as front to rear,it will go up stuff that`l scare the hell out of you with no problems.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Jounior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsRide View Post
i would think if your approching tip limits its an excellnt time to remove your child and take it up alone then come downand pick him or her up or better yet get familar with you unit then take passengers .
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Jounior Member

When you least expect it. Like the others said they will go places you wont believe and seems like the roll overs happen when you think you got it covered. just keep arms and legs inside the cab at all times. harnesses are a good idea just in case if you are going to ride really scary places.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Founding Member

When will you tip over......simple
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

When you run out of talent....

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Jounior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl89 View Post
When will you tip over......simple
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

When you run out of talent....
Darryl - Didn't you go over in Moab

I can only speak for myself, keep your hands and legs inside...
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Low View Post
Darryl - Didn't you go over in Moab

I can only speak for myself, keep your hands and legs inside...
Whoa NO!, That was an AC Territory Rep. The only time I've ever gone over has been in a Class 1000 car as the navigator...my driver blew a corner at over 70mph and we rolled 7 times...

but I've never rolled a 4 wheeled vehicle...not saying that I won't...
In desert racing, there are two kinds of drivers, those that have rolled and those that will roll...

Arctic Cat Prowler Desert Race XTZ: ITP BajaCross tires on ITP Beadlocks, Beard Super TZ Seats, Crowe 5pt harnesses, King Off-Road Racing Shocks, Custom Racing Chassis with 7 inch longer wheelbase, +5 Suspension set at 16 Front and 17 inches Rear inches travel, UTVINC did the tube bending
TEAM PROWLER NATION...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement