Stirrer's thread (below) got me thinking - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler Safety Discussions Arctic Cat Prowler safety discussions.
Cages, armor, seating, belts, etc.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Yyc
Jounior Member
 
Yyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Okanagan
Posts: 83
 
Stirrer's thread (below) got me thinking

When we go out I'm usually the one not wearing a helmet. We aren't racing, usually going for the more technical trails. My wife and our friends wear helmets, but I have a seatbelt, a rollcage, and have been bulletproof as far back as I can remember. But as I get more 'mature' I've been thinking a helmet is probably (sigh) a good idea. So on our trip to California I picked up an HJC modular helmet (the jaw piece flips up). In addition to the jaw flipping up it has a face shield that flips, and added bonus it has a sun shield that slides down and up like a pilots helmet.

Being as I'm part deaf anyways (really - veterans affairs gives me hearing aids batteries for life - lucky me...) I checked into driver/rider intercoms, and wound up with the Cardo Systems Scala Rider Pro. I've not installed it yet, but the reviews are good. A youtube link is below. It also links to phone for calls and music, as well as GPS if it's bluetooth capable. Has anyone used these? Comments always welcome, although I've already unpacked it and am about to rip the liner out of the new helmet and make it fit.

I picked it up at JCMotors.com - their price was the best I could find and they were 30 minutes from where we were staying in SoCal. RevZilla.com and most any dealer will match prices, and both have free shipping in the US, which sucks for me being 2.5 hours over the border :/
PS - I'm not selling these, not have any interest in the company - I'm just hoping it works as intended


Cheers,
Craig

Arctic Cat Prowler 700, with plow, snorkel, roof, and a bunch of fresh scrapes and dents...

Polaris Sportsman x2, with plow (sold, except plow as yard ornament)

Last edited by Yyc; 03-21-2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Added disclaimer
Yyc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 03:19 PM
de3
Loyal Member
 
de3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: parkersburg wva
Posts: 8,040
 
very interesting piece you wrote,I am glad your decided your not bullet proof anymore,I away's thought I was bullet proof wearing a helment,back in my 250r days and dirt bikes.It pays to were a helment if your gonna play hard.I really like the intercom system.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
de3 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Yyc
Jounior Member
 
Yyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Okanagan
Posts: 83
 
Got the intercom installed in the new helmet and these things work great! The speakers are a surprise in clarity for their size, and the mic works great from the living room. Will test on a running Kittie tomorrow.

Speaking of helmets... I was in Venezuela a bunch of years ago. They have an interesting driving culture there - they paint lines on the road so they can tell how many extra lanes will fit. As an example on a road with 4 northbound lanes you can easily fit 7 or 8 lanes of traffic. And have vendors standing in between the lanes selling newspapers or bananas, and people slam their brakes on to shop for a minute. Motorbike riders fit between the additional lanes and vendors, and are required by law to wear helmets. However the law doesn't say they have to wear them on their heads - which means most everyone wears their helmets on their elbows. I didn't drive when I was there...

Cheers,
Craig

Arctic Cat Prowler 700, with plow, snorkel, roof, and a bunch of fresh scrapes and dents...

Polaris Sportsman x2, with plow (sold, except plow as yard ornament)
Yyc is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 05:12 AM
de3
Loyal Member
 
de3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: parkersburg wva
Posts: 8,040
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yyc View Post
Got the intercom installed in the new helmet and these things work great! The speakers are a surprise in clarity for their size, and the mic works great from the living room. Will test on a running Kittie tomorrow.

Speaking of helmets... I was in Venezuela a bunch of years ago. They have an interesting driving culture there - they paint lines on the road so they can tell how many extra lanes will fit. As an example on a road with 4 northbound lanes you can easily fit 7 or 8 lanes of traffic. And have vendors standing in between the lanes selling newspapers or bananas, and people slam their brakes on to shop for a minute. Motorbike riders fit between the additional lanes and vendors, and are required by law to wear helmets. However the law doesn't say they have to wear them on their heads - which means most everyone wears their helmets on their elbows. I didn't drive when I was there...
I believe it ,some people will do whatever it takes to avoid a helment.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
de3 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Loyal Member
 
sandchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PEORIA,AZ
Posts: 3,564
 
I don't know if that pic was real of that guys melon opened up like that. I am assuming it was. A new law this year at the dunes has coerced me and my better half to wear em now at the dunes. And honestly it was not as bad as I thought it would be. We ended up going with the hjc open face helmets. Hell of a bargain at 59.99 I thought. Super light weight and amazingly not as hot for your head as I thought. After years of wearing full face helmets and the high temps it seems like associated with them wanted to try a open face. Very happy with the open face helmet.
I am hoping the choice doesn't get challenged for the need of facial protection in a utv like it would on a quad or a motorcycle.
I like the idea of the intercom and music in the helmet. Good find.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
sandchris is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 AM
de3
Loyal Member
 
de3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: parkersburg wva
Posts: 8,040
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandchris View Post
I don't know if that pic was real of that guys melon opened up like that. I am assuming it was. A new law this year at the dunes has coerced me and my better half to wear em now at the dunes. And honestly it was not as bad as I thought it would be. We ended up going with the hjc open face helmets. Hell of a bargain at 59.99 I thought. Super light weight and amazingly not as hot for your head as I thought. After years of wearing full face helmets and the high temps it seems like associated with them wanted to try a open face. Very happy with the open face helmet.
I am hoping the choice doesn't get challenged for the need of facial protection in a utv like it would on a quad or a motorcycle.
I like the idea of the intercom and music in the helmet. Good find.
Thats the same helments the wife and I have,green and flat black,IT really never really bothered me ,cause I was raised wearing one,now the wife thats a different story.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
de3 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Loyal Member
 
sandchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PEORIA,AZ
Posts: 3,564
 
sandchris is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Administrator
 
Fairmont79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kingman, AZ 86409
Posts: 7,129
 
Early Spring and Late Fall we wear full face helmets, once the temps get above 60 we switch to open face helmets. Starting to wear them on the roads also, never know what kinda idiot you may run across.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
Fairmont79 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Yyc
Jounior Member
 
Yyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Okanagan
Posts: 83
 
I picked up the modular unit below. It doesn't get uncomfortably hot here for more than a few weeks per year, and the plan is to ride with the faceshield up. History, including track days and kayaking, suggest I can pull the face down in time the event of an issue. It's matte black, and now has a Porsche sticker on the back - maybe a Prowlertalk sticker some day?

HJC IS-MAX Bluetooth Modular Helmet - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
Early Spring and Late Fall we wear full face helmets, once the temps get above 60 we switch to open face helmets. Starting to wear them on the roads also, never know what kinda idiot you may run across.

Cheers,
Craig

Arctic Cat Prowler 700, with plow, snorkel, roof, and a bunch of fresh scrapes and dents...

Polaris Sportsman x2, with plow (sold, except plow as yard ornament)
Yyc is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 08:29 AM
Senior Member
 
TBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 432
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yyc View Post
I picked up the modular unit below. It doesn't get uncomfortably hot here for more than a few weeks per year, and the plan is to ride with the faceshield up. History, including track days and kayaking, suggest I can pull the face down in time the event of an issue. It's matte black, and now has a Porsche sticker on the back - maybe a Prowlertalk sticker some day?

HJC IS-MAX Bluetooth Modular Helmet - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore
HJC is what I have for motorcycle riding as well. HJC IS-2 Solid Helmet - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore
Nice lightweight helmet with visor that slides up inside helmet when not in use.
TBird is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73