Recoil start assembly - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Arctic Cat Prowler Safety Discussions Arctic Cat Prowler safety discussions.
Cages, armor, seating, belts, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Recoil start assembly

Ok I was just thinking about the guys that ride by them selfs and what do you do if your battery is dead?????

With no one to jump you when your hunting, camping, or just out for a fun ride with the family with your pals.

After doing to a little research I found something interesting. Polaris is always known to have electric start on there quads along with a recoil pull start. So check this out.

In 2006 Arctic Cat came out with an ATV 650 H1 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 4X4 BLACK SE that has a recoil starter on it. The cover plate is the same shape as the one on the Prowler. When you compare the parts pages they have the same parts inside the cover plate. The Prowler just has the cover no pull cord.

Has any one looked into this or am I just not getting enough sleep. Take a look at babbits online and look at the parts pages for your self. Babbitts Sports Center | Arctic Cat OEM Parts | Can-Am (Bombardier) OEM Parts | Honda OEM Parts | Kawasaki OEM Parts | Polaris OEM Parts | Sea-Doo OEM Parts | Ski-Doo OEM Parts | Suzuki OEM Parts | Yamaha OEM Parts

I am assuming you could pull over the 650 motor???

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Loyal Member

I have always thought that.Because if you have the cover off on that side you can see the hub in there that looks like it is for a pull starter.The hub is cut out for what looks like cogs for a pull starter.Not sure if it would be that much fun to pull start a 650.Or for that matter if it would have enough amps to fire it off if the battery was dead.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 05:43 AM

I had a similar concern when I bought my Rhino. I was always out by myself and leaving various lights on. I also made long trips on my BMW and if left sitting for long periods of time, the battery would lose power. To address this, I bought a small, self contained, battery jump starter kit marketed by Coleman and sold at Pep boys. I like it because it is totally contained in a Pelican style waterproof case. I place it in whatever vehicle I happen to be using. It's a bit heavy (18 lbs), but gives me some peace of mind. These are no longer sold, but small battery jump packs, that would work as well or better, are easily found.

Coleman 18 amp/hr waterproof jump start kit. Model # PMJ8660

http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w...ump%20starter/

I paid $50 for mine. In Dec 2007, Pep Boys put these on close out and dropped the price to $29.99, then to $19.99 until they were gone ( http://www.fatwallet.net/forums/hot-deals/796629/ ). I missed the close out and still am disappointed I didn't know about it at the time. These jump start kits may still be in some stores' inventory. If so, they are really nice for small battery applications such as ATVs, UTVs, motorcycles, and garden tractors. In addition to the jumper cables, these have a 12v power (cigarette lighter style) power plug and a trouble light. Included is the 120v charger.

Terry
2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 Baja - ITP beadlock wheels, ITP Baja Cross X/D tires, 2" wheel spacers, harness bar, 5 point harnesses, custom doors, 4 Vision X LED lights, 2 PIAA lights, RAM mounts on roll bar and dash, military truck mirrors, polished aluminum rear frame brace, inside tube rear frame stiffeners, Mossy Oak camo pattern seats, custom front brush guard, parking brake 'on' alarm, Throttlemaxx controller, Uni pre-filter, and Mobil 1 4T M/C 10W-40 racing oil with K&N filter.

Last edited by Retired1; 10-10-2009 at 10:34 AM.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 05:56 AM
Founding Member

The recoil starter is available in the AC Accessories Catalog. I'll check and see what the pricing is later today when I'm at the office. It fits the 650H1.
For my XTZ, I have a 2nd battery (yellow top Optima) with a battery isolator. Also have a 60 amp Denso alternator kit getting ready to go in the XTZ.
If both of those fail, I switch to TFW alternative power....two feet a walkin'.....

4WD CJ7, I like your idea of carrying the battery boost pack, good idea.

By the way, Johnny, do you have the drive sheave for the alternator kit on the XTZ that you can sell separately?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 08:29 AM

Coleman Model PMJ8660 jump start battery pack photos posted in link above and here:

Coleman jump starter pictures by 350v8s10 - Photobucket

Terry
2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 Baja - ITP beadlock wheels, ITP Baja Cross X/D tires, 2" wheel spacers, harness bar, 5 point harnesses, custom doors, 4 Vision X LED lights, 2 PIAA lights, RAM mounts on roll bar and dash, military truck mirrors, polished aluminum rear frame brace, inside tube rear frame stiffeners, Mossy Oak camo pattern seats, custom front brush guard, parking brake 'on' alarm, Throttlemaxx controller, Uni pre-filter, and Mobil 1 4T M/C 10W-40 racing oil with K&N filter.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl89 View Post
The recoil starter is available in the AC Accessories Catalog. I'll check and see what the pricing is later today when I'm at the office. It fits the 650H1.
For my XTZ, I have a 2nd battery (yellow top Optima) with a battery isolator. Also have a 60 amp Denso alternator kit getting ready to go in the XTZ.
If both of those fail, I switch to TFW alternative power....two feet a walkin'.....

4WD CJ7, I like your idea of carrying the battery boost pack, good idea.

By the way, Johnny, do you have the drive sheave for the alternator kit on the XTZ that you can sell separately?
Is it possilble to even pull start the 650? Did AC do something to the 650 ATV to make this possible??

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandchris View Post
I have always thought that.Because if you have the cover off on that side you can see the hub in there that looks like it is for a pull starter.The hub is cut out for what looks like cogs for a pull starter.Not sure if it would be that much fun to pull start a 650.Or for that matter if it would have enough amps to fire it off if the battery was dead.

The way I see it, recoil coupled with the key swich "a little battery juice" you should be able to get it started.

Do any one know some one with a 650 ATV??

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Rides all the time

I have wondered why AC didn't provide a recoil pull starter like their ATV's. My dad's 700 efi has one and it starts with no problems pulling.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Founding Member

Okay, here's the part numbers for the recoil starters...

2010 700H1 FIS & TBX, 07-09 650H1 & 700H1 models take P/N 1436-002

07-10 650H1 & 700H1 TRV models take P/N 1436-007

Both retail for $129.95. The main differences between the two are the body panels. The recoil unit itself is the same.

I've started both 650H1's and 700H1's with the recoil starter. The trick is to use your body leverage, starting standing on the running board when you do it. It took me 2 or 3 pulls to get each started. But it's a very viable method.
As for adapting the recoil starters to Prowlers, I'm sure it can be done, just have to make sure you have room to pull the rope.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl89 View Post
Okay, here's the part numbers for the recoil starters...

2010 700H1 FIS & TBX, 07-09 650H1 & 700H1 models take P/N 1436-002

07-10 650H1 & 700H1 TRV models take P/N 1436-007

Both retail for $129.95. The main differences between the two are the body panels. The recoil unit itself is the same.

I've started both 650H1's and 700H1's with the recoil starter. The trick is to use your body leverage, starting standing on the running board when you do it. It took me 2 or 3 pulls to get each started. But it's a very viable method.
As for adapting the recoil starters to Prowlers, I'm sure it can be done, just have to make sure you have room to pull the rope.

Outstanding info. This looks like a great option to protect yourself from being left hi and dry. Looking at parts pages on line 2006 H1 ATV recoil starter is # 0820-001 Looking at your #'s it is wrong?

SETH
TEAM PROWLER NATION
Sponsored Links
Advertisement