Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Large tires question

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Randy Hines 
#1 ·
Hello All
Hope this is in the correct area!!

I have a 2017 Arctic HDX Crew, when I bought it it had/has a 2" lift and the dealer put larger tires on it, Maxis Coronado 20x10.00R14 tires, when those tires were about half worn out I started getting punctures in the sidewalls so I decided to replace them with Tusk Terabite tires same size and ply rating, but they are heavier than the Maxis tires, my machine would go 52 MPH on the roads now it will just go 46-47 I don't mind the loss in speed, but am wondering if this set up could cause damage either to the machine (can't hardly see that) or to the belt (can see that) I have no idea so should I replace them with a smaller tire, or just run them out?

Thanks for your help
Terry

#2 ·
20X10X14's... sure they aren't 28 to 30 in diameter? Yes, heavier tires put more stress on the belt, rollers and clutches. It will loose alittle speed. Plus if those old tires were half worn, they will spin easier and be a tad faster.

#3 ·
Yes my bad, they are 28" tires, I bought the machine new,the dealer had added the lift and the larger tires so when i got it the tires were new, it was just when they were half worn out that I begun to have problems with punctures so i replaced them, when i changed the tires that's when i noticed the weight and stiffness difference in the tires, i don't care much about the loss of speed, but i do care about not burning the belt, been there done that (not tire related) but i never want to change that belt again what a PITA, so would I be better off to get new, smaller tires ( go back to what was on from the factory) our just wear these out then go to a smaller size? I guess the question is what would you do if it were your machine?

Thanks for the reply!!!
Terry

#4 ·
I'ld leave it.. I'm running 28x12x14's, re-clutched and still 5mph slower. I don't worry about it. If I wanna go fast, I'll drive the RZR.

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply!!
I doubt my machine has had any clutch work, I know I didn't do any and I doubt the dealer did.

If I want to go faster I have to drive a car 😁😉.

So for driving in the mountains and steepish trails (always in low on those for me) I should be fine?

Thanks again!!

#6 ·
lower speeds in the hill yes to low gear and with that tire size you'll have a bit more speed available than those that run stock size .. remember speedo is not calibrated for that size either.

one thing to keep in mind the extra torque when starting out also ... easy on the go pedal or you may have some busted parts

BTW i haven changed my tire size as this size gives me enough clearance after i changed the springs and got the factory 13" clearance [they were sagging from the factory had 9"] .. I o run a stiff side wall do to sharp rocks and downed trees ... I run Rocker Ubers 26"

#7 ·
Thanks for the reply!

The other day diving it on a fast street i decide to check the speed so i put my destination in Google maps and started diving, it said i was going two miles per hour faster than the Speedo said so that is the difference these tires make on my machine.

Thanks for the heads up on rabbit starts, I don't like to do those, but never really thought about it either.

The stiff sidewalls is why I switched tires so i understand that!

Thanks for all the replies it put my mind at eas!!

Terry

#8 ·
Larger tires work better with lighter clutch rollers, allows the machine to RPM quicker and pull the additional load. Several ways to approach this, 1) order lighter clutch rollers (Lightest factory roller is Red at 19grams each), or 2) Clutch Kit from EPI, or others.

#9 ·
I think I'll see what happens at this point, I know I don't want to tare into that clutch again, you have to tare the whole machine apart, not fun, if it turns out that I need another new belt then I'll look into rollers, on the last belt I got stuck plowing snow, long story anyway I herd the belt slipping at least that's what I thought it was that got me worried about it and could have been my imagination about it slipping on starts anyway now it has a new belt and I have an education, and a snow blower.
Terry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.