Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Riding in Canada

9K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  jdox 
#1 ·
Moving up to Alaska soon and will be bringing my HDX and a wheeler with us. We'll be driving the Alaskan Highway through Canada and I'm wondering how the laws work in case we come across a place we may want to ride. In Michigan we just have trail stickers not a traditional registration, in New York you get a license plate like you would for a motorcycle. Would it be feasible for me to be able to ride or to much of a hassle? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Thank you. If you go to "map quest" and go from Sault Ste Marie, MI to Anchorage, AK the route we are taking is what shows up. Should be a fun trip (of course I say this before I load up the wife, both daughters and 2 small dogs)

#4 ·
Remember to take pictures and share them here. I like photos of UTVs riding in a variety of areas. I have never ridden my XTZ anywhere off my farm. I greatly appreciate seeing photos off those that get out and travel.

#7 ·
That sounds like an adventure! Stay safe on your trip, and send pictures when you can!

#9 ·
The trip will be long, pretty much only 2 ways to get there, one is driving the way we are the other is driving out to the west coast and taking a ferry. We think it will be more fun driving the whole way plus I won't be risking the family possibly being sea sick for 4 days on the ferry. We won't be hitting Alberta until mid-July, hopefully the fires are contained if not out by then. I can't imagine the destruction if they are still burning 2 months from now.

Somebody told me on another forum that for Ontario all that is needed to ride is insurance cards. Anyone know if this is true for all of Canada? I plan on asking if we find a place we want to ride, just trying to get everything in order before I leave the states.

#11 ·
Man, it's too bad you won't be going through northern Ontario. I would love to show you some awesome places to wheel. And no trail permits here, just proof of ownership and insurance.

#12 ·
#14 ·
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime!

#18 ·
I believe every province will be different.eg (Manitoba and Alberta require licences) Saskatchewan does not. That applies to residents not sure on nonresidents. Manitoba will allow nonresidents providing your insurance is proper, not sure what that is. If you take yellow head route in 3 prairie provinces you will hit better riding opportunities but,not many marked trails.

Reactions: jdox
#19 ·
I can only imagine the opportunities that await you on your trip! Just blows my mind thinking about it! Stay safe!

Reactions: jdox
#20 ·
Thanks everyone for the information. We are really looking forward to the trip. Giving ourselves 15 days to make what map quest says is a 73 hour trip. I foresee needing a day or two out of the car and doing some sightseeing and what better way than to get off the main road and out on the trails. As I sit in a house full of boxes waiting for the movers to show up again I can tell you I'm more than ready to get the trip started. I use progressive for insurance and carry coverage that is probably way more than I need so I shouldn't have any issues there just want to make sure I obtain the proper permits up there.

#23 ·
Pretty much the same with me, I do have a vinyl cover that covers my gages, but avoid any heavy water pressure in the cab!

Reactions: de3
#24 ·
Sorry for the delay in an update. We didn't do any riding on the trip up to Alaska, lost a day at a dealership in Edmonton due to a shattered moonroof and didn't want spend a day riding and have other issues on the drive. I will say this though, if you have the time (took us 10 days driving from NY to Anchorage) to make the trip up the Alaskan Highway I highly recommend it. Pictures don't do any justice with the amazing views.

The Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee did amazing towing the gear, the weight of the trailer loaded was right around 4500 pounds. Averaged 15mpg for the entire trip and with the brake controller adjusted correctly we could hardly tell it was back there.

Attachments

#25 ·
I have gotten out and done some riding here, and again if you have the ability to do it; I highly recommend it. The trail closest to my house is along a river, has riding for every style, tight trails, open areas along the river bank, mud, water. Truly is remarkable. I know that 4 wheeler pictured isn't my prowler or a Cat for that matter, don't hold it against me. I was out alone and felt that my brother needed to join me

Attachments

#29 ·
Looks like a great place to be. glad to hear that the trip was good, for the most part.

#26 ·
Makes you appreciate how many places are still untouched by man! Glad you had a good trip!

#27 ·
2 above

as to not washing the inside with pressure .... your dust levels must be way lower than what I'm used to ?????? with mine the inside is VERY dusty after rides in summer and would be a PIA to hand wash and next to impossible to get it cleaned up right.

#28 ·
Ya I think the dust levels are much lower. While there are sandy dune areas, Most riding areas are wooded with steep rocky d muddy swamp and bog areas

#31 ·
I bet! Their day will come! LOL

#32 ·
I asked them the last 2 times I've gone out and they didn't want to go. I think it's more that we are going to play and they have to go to school and would rather not more than wanting to go riding. Plus we drove by the trail area and they realized the option for them to start learning to drive, they are excited about that. Cool nights up here with frost most every morning but I think there's still time to get them out before winter fully sets in

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.