Riding in Canada - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
International International riding locations.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Question Riding in Canada

Moving up to Alaska soon and will be bringing my HDX and a wheeler with us. We'll be driving the Alaskan Highway through Canada and I'm wondering how the laws work in case we come across a place we may want to ride. In Michigan we just have trail stickers not a traditional registration, in New York you get a license plate like you would for a motorcycle. Would it be feasible for me to be able to ride or to much of a hassle? Thanks in advance.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 02:13 PM

Depending on the route you will be traveling, this website may contain riding areas that you may find attractive:

Best Offroading trails in Canada : Wikiloc

Terry
2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 Baja - ITP beadlock wheels, ITP Baja Cross X/D tires, 2" wheel spacers, harness bar, 5 point harnesses, custom doors, 4 Vision X LED lights, 2 PIAA lights, RAM mounts on roll bar and dash, military truck mirrors, polished aluminum rear frame brace, inside tube rear frame stiffeners, Mossy Oak camo pattern seats, custom front brush guard, parking brake 'on' alarm, Throttlemaxx controller, Uni pre-filter, and Mobil 1 4T M/C 10W-40 racing oil with K&N filter.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. If you go to "map quest" and go from Sault Ste Marie, MI to Anchorage, AK the route we are taking is what shows up. Should be a fun trip (of course I say this before I load up the wife, both daughters and 2 small dogs)

James

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdox View Post
Thank you. If you go to "map quest" and go from Sault Ste Marie, MI to Anchorage, AK the route we are taking is what shows up. Should be a fun trip (of course I say this before I load up the wife, both daughters and 2 small dogs)
Remember to take pictures and share them here. I like photos of UTVs riding in a variety of areas. I have never ridden my XTZ anywhere off my farm. I greatly appreciate seeing photos off those that get out and travel.

Terry
2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 Baja - ITP beadlock wheels, ITP Baja Cross X/D tires, 2" wheel spacers, harness bar, 5 point harnesses, custom doors, 4 Vision X LED lights, 2 PIAA lights, RAM mounts on roll bar and dash, military truck mirrors, polished aluminum rear frame brace, inside tube rear frame stiffeners, Mossy Oak camo pattern seats, custom front brush guard, parking brake 'on' alarm, Throttlemaxx controller, Uni pre-filter, and Mobil 1 4T M/C 10W-40 racing oil with K&N filter.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
Remember to take pictures and share them here. I like photos of UTVs riding in a variety of areas. I have never ridden my XTZ anywhere off my farm. I greatly appreciate seeing photos off those that get out and travel.
We are giving ourselves 15 days to make the trip (map quest says it's 72 hours from where we are starting from in NY after seeing family) Since we are going to have a couple machines with us we would like to take advantage of some new riding and think that we would be missing out if we didn't. Also packing a few fishing poles and the tent so that we don't have to make it to hotels and our bicycles so we're going to be ready for any adventure that pops up. We'll be taking plenty of pictures along the trip as well as having multiple batteries for the go-pro. If we are fortunate to take a "rest day" from the car and get out and ride I will most definitely share. I think I've attached a photo of most of the group that we ride with, there's probably another 6-8 machines that didn't make it that day. Mine is the black HDX without the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12994361_10206126372817813_5462843005837089140_n.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	39506  
Retired1 likes this.

James
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 07:04 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdox View Post
We are giving ourselves 15 days to make the trip (map quest says it's 72 hours from where we are starting from in NY after seeing family) Since we are going to have a couple machines with us we would like to take advantage of some new riding and think that we would be missing out if we didn't. Also packing a few fishing poles and the tent so that we don't have to make it to hotels and our bicycles so we're going to be ready for any adventure that pops up. We'll be taking plenty of pictures along the trip as well as having multiple batteries for the go-pro. If we are fortunate to take a "rest day" from the car and get out and ride I will most definitely share. I think I've attached a photo of most of the group that we ride with, there's probably another 6-8 machines that didn't make it that day. Mine is the black HDX without the roof.
Nice picture.....

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 04:51 AM
Administrator

That sounds like an adventure! Stay safe on your trip, and send pictures when you can!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 06:11 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
That will be a long trip and could still be a little smokey going through Alberta.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	39522  

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1962 View Post
That will be a long trip and could still be a little smokey going through Alberta.
The trip will be long, pretty much only 2 ways to get there, one is driving the way we are the other is driving out to the west coast and taking a ferry. We think it will be more fun driving the whole way plus I won't be risking the family possibly being sea sick for 4 days on the ferry. We won't be hitting Alberta until mid-July, hopefully the fires are contained if not out by then. I can't imagine the destruction if they are still burning 2 months from now.

Somebody told me on another forum that for Ontario all that is needed to ride is insurance cards. Anyone know if this is true for all of Canada? I plan on asking if we find a place we want to ride, just trying to get everything in order before I leave the states.

James
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 06:45 AM

For Ontario, you need Insurance, Registration (proof of ownership) and trail permit if the section you are using is on maintained trails. They sell daily and weekend passes for each trail districts.
jdox likes this.

2014 500 HDX
Moose lift kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement