Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

New California OHV law that will impact all UTV's

13K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Desertcat 
#1 ·
I just found out that this new OHV law just passed in CA. I hear that it goes into effect in January. This will affect all the Sand dune UTV's guys.

This is from UTVUNDERGROUND. They asked that all forums be aware.

OK Members, Here is the deal! This new law and the way we responded as a community proves to me that we do need to unify our voice for more than just this one situation. Think if all of us (ALL FORUMS - ALL UTV ENTHUSIASTS) were united as one ALL OF THE TIME!? This situation has proven that we as a UTV community need our own voice. We can't simply rely on the ASA or ORBA alone. We, like Jeeps and businesses need our own united voice to defend our rights, our hobby, and stand for what we believe in as UTV enthusiasts. I know many will think that we do not need another organization but we as the ISA could contribute ALL of our voices as one to ORBA or ASA as backup when fighting all general off-road battles. I am not the best rah rah writer but come-on, lets mobilize and get this ISA thing ROLLING!!

Our first Convention is in October! Post this info on all other forums, lets get people there in force, have some fun, and unite as one!

http://www.utvunderground.com/forum/...ead.php?t=8161

http://isxsa.com

Law can be found here
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_1551-1600/ab_1595_bill_20120724_chaptered.pdf

See less See more
#6 ·
OHHHHH please protect me from myself ... geeeees these damn Libs think they need to be in all fazes of our lives.

sure glad I got out of that damn state !!!!!!!! , hope they go bankrupt soon an all the retirement $$ go south so even the people who thought they were safe get a dose of reality of what they have created !! [na I really don't wish that but it does sound good]

#7 ·
I strongly feel this could go beyound California and affect other states and it may impact all of us. Helmets, seat belts good safe ideas, but feet flat on the floor will push me out of the sport with my children. And once they tall enough I am sure their interestes will be somewhere else. Good job UTV,ROV manufactures your limiting the amount of customers now. Wow this pisses me off

#11 ·
Good job UTV,ROV manufactures your limiting the amount of customers now. Wow this pisses me off
How is this California law the fault of the manufacturer? Are they supposed to know what new laws are coming out and are they to design machines where little children can place their feet flat on the floor? If that were the case, adults would not be able to drive the machines. This would limit their customers. As riders, we need to support the manufacturers by showing the gov't we are not going to put up with their continued B.S.

#9 ·
laws

you are right,that will ending effecting everybody,here in my state there trying to get us off the road.as of now we can ride on roads with no lines,and gravel roads.but now there there wanting to ban that.

#12 ·
Update regarding the law!

Update on the AB 1595 Fix

I want to provide everyone with an update on the status of the AB 1595 fix. We have a limited window to get any bill passed, so I have been working closely with the Senate and Assembly Transportation Committees on language that can be passed before the legislature adjourns on August 31. I believe I have been able to reach an agreement on two provisions that will guarantee that come January you will still be able to ride with your kids while using aftermarket seats. It will also provide time for a more complete legislative fix next year.

The fix will remove the provision dealing with passengers' feet being required to touch the floorboards and will delay the implementation of the restrictions on aftermarket seats until July 1, 2013. This will give everyone another 11 months to get a more thorough and permanent fix drafted and passed during the next legislative session.

I expect that we will have a bill for this fix by early next week, at which point I will send out an email to all of you with the bill number. I expect this to move through the legislature extremely quickly and should be headed to the governor's desk for signature before the end of session.

I want to thank the American Sand Association, the Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division of California's Department of State Parks, the California Off-Road Vehicle Association, and all of the other groups and individuals who have provided assistance to my office in preparing this fix.

Sincerely,

Assemblyman Paul Cook

65th Assembly District

#15 ·
More news

Just thought I would bump this info as it really makes it painfully clear to me why this law has been proposed, and I fully expect it in multiple states. As far back as 2009 the CPSC was twisting the screws on the UTV manufactures. If you read all the fine print you can see they resisted at first but have been pushed into a place that requires changes that we don't like.

I don't foresee the helmet law going away, that's no fault of the manufacture. You can cry liability all you want, but common sense tells me the owners manual covers that without a law. Hence the reason we have the wonderful MC helmet law here in Kalifornia.

Like I have tried to say from the start we only see half the story. Fixing the floor board is a win in my eyes. Getting a snell rating on the helmets should not be a big issue, and you might get helmets reduced to children in some states, but I don't see it in Ca.

At some point late model modified two seat to 4 seat UTV's are going to become obsolete in the grand scheme, so if you could get around the registration, or head it off in other states that would be a win as well.

Now on to my soap box:
There are disturbing subliminal messages in the 2009 document regarding average costs for medical expenses, and long term care costs. State run medical insurance programs could some day limit activities that are a risk to our investment in a citizen. In addition commissions like the CPSC, and EPA that are created to look out for our best interest are a recipe for loss of freedom.

Conspiracy theory? Maybe? But you have to ask yourself if our personal freedom to do stupid stuff needs to be regulated by the government, and if we have now come way to far to stop the nanny state?

Will you be willing to break the law that continue to be thrust upon us? Will you be willing to accept a helmet law to see an industry continue servicing a community?

I guess the biggest question is how far are you willing to go to protect your freedoms?

ROHVA and the manufactures are not the issue here, its the Federal Governments Big Brother Mentality, and its Commissions in which indaviduals that are not elected to a position by the people for the people, but are given the authority to create a law, or rule in which we are required to follow.

We have been given the power to stop this, but sadly we the people have stopped believing in the grand experiment of self rule, and have let apathy cloud our judgement.

No matter what your opinion. Get to know your local representatives, vote, and inspire your neighbor to do the same. Don't let the few speak for you, or carry the burden of doing the work. Help them carry the load, and make your voices heard.

This message is for all the lurkers, not the people that live in cyber world.

#16 ·
100 % agree , we MUST get involved at our state and federal levels .. you can bet you last two cents my Reps know me and hear from me regularly .. BRC is another very good resource for what's going on in the our world .. gun owners of america another great source for the gun group [me] .. unfortunately we have to be daily on the issues as the do gooders will sneak through bad legislation any way they can , and many times in the dark of night is where they do their best work !

We have to be vigilant now as we can not trust our govmt. to do the right thing.. it really is a war !

#17 ·
For those that have not read what the new law is please read below. Also you will find contact information for the state reps that voted for this law. Please call and voice your opion. This law may come to your state

Chapter​
8. Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles

38600. A person operating a recreational off-highway vehicle shall be
at least 16 years of age, or be directly supervised in the vehicle by a parent
or guardian or by an adult authorized by the parent or guardian.
38601. A person shall not operate, or allow a passenger in, a recreational
off-highway vehicle unless the person and the passenger are wearing safety
helmets meeting the requirements established for motorcycles and motorized
bicycles pursuant to Section 27802.
38602. A person operating, and any passenger in, a recreational
off-highway vehicle shall wear a seatbelt and shoulder belt or safety harness
that is properly fastened when the vehicle is in motion.
38603. A person operating a recreational off-highway vehicle shall not
allow a passenger to occupy a separate seat location not designed and
provided by the manufacturer for a passenger.
38604. A person operating a recreational off-highway vehicle shall not
ride with a passenger, unless the passenger, while seated upright with his
or her back against the seatback with both feet​
flat on the floorboard, can
grasp the occupant handhold with the seatbelt and shoulder belt or safety
harness properly fastened.

SEC. 4. No reimbursement is required by this act pursuant to Section 6
of Article XIII B of the California Constitution because the only costs that
may be incurred by a local agency or school district will be incurred because
this act creates a new crime or infraction, eliminates a crime or infraction,
or changes the penalty for a crime or infraction, within the meaning of​
Section 17556 of the Government Code, or changes the de
finition of a crime
within the meaning of Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California​
Constitution

Take 30 minutes and make a few calls a day. Call each of the phone #'s for each politicians. Then when done start over. Also just because their offices are closed on weekends, does not mean you cant fill their voice mails with your opinions. Let them know this is how their Mondays are going to start!

FIND YOU STATE REPRESENTATIVES
http://192.234.213.69/amapsearch/

Paul Cook Assemblymen & author of the bill
(Let them know if this is not fixed you will support Gregg Imus for Congress!)
909-790-4196 main office
916-319-2065 Capitol office

V Manuel Perez 80th district Assemblymen (Imperial Valley & Glamis)
760-336-8912 El Centro office (They need more calls!)
916-319-2080 Capitol office (They need more calls!)

Brian Jones 77th district Assemblymen (San Diego County including Anza Borrego & Cleveland National Forest) (Off-Roader himself)
619-441-2322 Santee office
916-319-2077 Capitol office

Juan Vargas District 40 Senator (Cleveland National forest, Anza Borrego & Glamis)
619-409-7690 Chula Vista Office
760-335-3442 El Centro office
916-651-4040 Capitol office

Tim Donnelly District 36 Assemblymen (Hemet, Lucerne valley) OHV Supporter
760-244-5277 Hesperia office
916-319-2059 Capitol Office

Joel Anderson District 36 Senator (El Cajon, Temecula, Cleveland National Forest) OHV Supporter
619-596-3136 El Cajon office

Congressmen Bob Filner 51st district (San Diego, El Centro, Superstition, Glamis, Salton Sea)
(619) 422-5963 San Diego office
(760) 355-8800 Imperial Valley office
(202) 225-8045 Capitol

Assemblymen Connie Conway (San Bernardino)
(559) 636-3440 Main office (Needs more calls)

(916) 319-2034 Capitol office

Senator Bill Emerson (District 37 Riverside County)
(760) 568-0408 Palm Desert office (Needs more calls)
(916) 651-4037 Capitol office
(Needs more calls)

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Open 10:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m Eastern Time
800-514-0301 (Long automated message, Dial 7 for assistance)
Or (202) 307-0663

#18 ·
ahh once again cali leads the way...they are trying to do the same thing AGAIN with "assault" rifles, ban em, etc... that state is so effed up. Its always the same things with the politicians in our country..have an agenda, when something "bad" happens start a law to squash it with no research or validity to it...its so sad to see the country heading this way..

..currently as this law reads...i wont be able to have passengers in my car in Cali in seat "locations" that the manufacturer didnt make or build into the car...rofl....

..you guys in cali need to come up with a law of how to properly wipe your a$$ and change your diapers...

#19 ·
Update

Small update, I have seen a copy of the new law, but rumor is it might be Thursday until we see a hard copy. I will disseminate and post the info later this afternoon. 10,000 foot level view is that feet on floor is gone. Provision to kick seat arrangement down the road. This gives an open door to changes in the next session by an organized group.

I still have very large concerns over if this change will satisfy the CPSC. I will not have answers until later this week on the subject.

Rushing this through IMHO means we might end up with subjective language. The OHV division is also interested in your concerns, and have set up an email address.

ohvinfo@parks.ca.gov

Subject line AB1595

I suggest everyone send a positive email with concerns to this address.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.