Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

When did your UTV passion start

7K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Daryle_TN 
#1 ·
I saw this title started on another forum and thought it was a really cool idea to hear our members stories.

Mine started back when lifted golf carts where hot. Then on a warm sunny day in 2008 I purchased a 2006 Arctic Cat Prowler 650 XT. Converted to a 4 seater for family fun we put over 4000 miles on it. We drove it from the desert, mountains for camping trips, to the sand dunes. I just sold it a few months back in preperation for a purchase of a factory 4 seater UTV upgrade soon. Wow what a wonderful machine it was. The friendships and memories made from having this UTV are priceless.

What's your story?

#2 ·
Mine started after flipping my 2002 Yamaha Grizzly 660 for the second time and breaking my other shoulder.

#4 ·
Started looking in 05 but didnt buy untill 09 Drove all that I fit in and bought the Prowler. Joined Prowler talk and been on the go ever since.

#6 ·
back in 2005 walking through the mall. they had a JD gator on display wife and i sat in it and thought this would be fun 2006 bought the prowler and been ate up ever since,then joined the forum,and now iam hooked. i wont give up my quads............

#7 ·
For me & my wife it started a year and half ago, when gas prices spiked she wanted a golf cart to run around town. Then she saw cars lined up behind the ones already running around town....need something faster! Gators are what you see the most in our small farm town so we drove some of them, still too slow. Then we saw the 650 Prowler on Craigslist drove it once and bought it.

I've always liked off road stuff, I've had dirt bikes, a Kawasaki Duckster, rail buggy, and 4x4 trucks. Now that I'm older the Prowler will let me work & play, and as I learn more about them I hope to add some of the mods I've read on the forums (I'll use you experienced guys for trial & error)....as long as the money holds out.

#8 ·
I'm an old busted up body guy LOL .. my fried has a Rhino and got me hooked with his rig but I don't fit in them and after a few hrs of misery and my knees hardly able to work I went shopping for one that fits ... then looked at the workings and for me it was the A/C do to the fit and the 4x4 system [v/s the others that wait til your stuck to lock in] .. purchased in nov.'09 and my first ride was in snow to 18" .. no windshield and came home with about a foot of snow stuck to my chest and cold to the bone as we were out for about 6hrs the first day. now have a bit over 5000 on it and having a blast .... very impressed where these things will go and believe me I've been testing it :) as my recovery bag will show .. now carry about 50/60 lbs of recovery gear , a man never knows when he'll have pull out his friends Rhino LOL

#9 ·
My passion to have one started the first year they came out, but I did not get one until late last year. I had a couple buddies in AZ that had a Rhino and the AC Prowler 650. I was always envious of them. I always wanted one, but toys are not a high priority on my wife's list. I've owned ATV's for years. I own a '99 Polaris Sportsman for hunting and I owned a 2003 Yamaha Raptor 660 for play on the trails or the dunes. Since moving to UT I've moved away from all my friends whom I went riding with at the dunes, etc. Plus getting older, my shiny Raptor was just sitting in the garage not getting used.

My friend with the AC650 had it break, and it was sitting there for a couple years with the issue unknown. He moved out of state and sold it to a mutual friend because he didn't want to deal with it. That friend never got around to messing with it. So he sold it to me. Wife was not real happy about me purchasing a broken toy, despite me selling my Raptor to help afford it.:mad::(. I just decided that the Prowler would suit my needs more at this point in my life for hunting, and trying to get the family involved in riding. Unfortunately, my ride has seen more wrenching than riding trying to get all the bugs out.:D

#10 · (Edited)
Long story a head....

Ever since the Rhino was released I've wanted one, but like many with a young family the $$$ had to go else where. Fast forward to October 2010.. I was heading to the local coffee shop (Tim hortons for you Canadians) and thinking to myself about a friends 06 xt 650 H1 that he had and was not using much any more.
That evening my wife and I was talking and she commented on how much she thought she would like us to have a SxS, we talked a little more then went to bed.
Now 3 days later my buddy with the 06 650 called me out of the blue asking if I had any friends at work that might be looking for a sxs... (inside I screamed!!) I told him yeah...me! He gave me some info did not get to a price before he had to get back to work, said he'd call me back.
So while waiting I thought if he comes back with anything under ''X" Dollars I will take it (believe me that number was cheap!!). Well low and behold he called back and said $500.00 less than what I had in mind!! SOLD!! *** I should add that this poor ol Cat has been used HARD***
I bought it and took it straight to the local dealer and and 8 weeks and 2 Grand later (yeah it was used really hard) I got her to her new home, my garage.
I am hooked, it amazes me every time I get out with it!! My riding buddies call it the "Chuck Wagon" cause it hauls everything and I like cooking in the out doors while on an all day excursion.

So that's how it all started for me. Pics are from when I got it, to now.. still a work in progress though :D

Attachments

#11 ·
I've always been an ATV lover/rider since I was a kid. Then everyone I started riding with in the last 5yrs started getting Rhino's.. Well we ride alot in the winter and whie I was feezing I saw them sitting there behind the windshield, with their beer in a cup holder and NOT freezing to death. So I decided I was going to a SxS. I didn't really want a Rhino and Razors had just come out so I couldn't afford one. Then a buddy of mine bought a 1000cc Prowler when they first come out and we all watch him hand our buddy's with Rhino's their A**ess! Could afford a 1000 so bought the 650.. loved it ever since and I'm planning on being an AC guy from here on out!

#12 ·
Just to show you guys... theses were my last two Cats before going to a SxS..the one with the Audio-Pipe I still have cause my wife loves it..Sold my Mud-Beast!!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.