Hello Artic Cat Forum - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Hello Artic Cat Forum

Yes I am new to the forum, I have an 08 prowler that I bought new, have had really good luck with it until recently. It has 3500 miles on mostly forest roads, I have maintained it myself. The problem I am having now is when going down hill some times I hear kind of a grinding noise from the transmission or??? I have checked and replaced the belt and it is in good shape.
Any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Lifetime Member

welcome to the forum,,,,this is the place to find answers,,,,,does it make the noise when your just coasting down a hill ?? does it stop when you apply the brakes?? a big problem is the brakes chatter a lot on the rear caliper

2012 prowler xtx custom doors ,bumpers ,lightbar,windshield.rollcage ,stereo,5000lb winch,28"wsamp lites ,1 1/2"wheel spacers.custom graphics,custom rear roll bar,factory fender flares cb radio ltz hoodscoop ac soft top and rear window,ac aluminium skidplates,temp and volt guage ,2"lift kit and sti beadlock wheels

Last edited by de3; 11-11-2013 at 07:00 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 03:46 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taprowler View Post
Yes I am new to the forum, I have an 08 prowler that I bought new, have had really good luck with it until recently. It has 3500 miles on mostly forest roads, I have maintained it myself. The problem I am having now is when going down hill some times I hear kind of a grinding noise from the transmission or??? I have checked and replaced the belt and it is in good shape.
Any suggestions
Give us a little more detail,welcome to the best prowler forum................

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, I agree with brake chatter as a likely problem

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 06:47 AM

If I had to take a quick guess at it without more detail I would say its a good possibility its your one way bearing. does it only make this noise when coasting?

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Rides all the time

One way bearing if it happens just when coasting, and brake chatter if it is when you apply the brakes.....

Name: Shane

-2011 Polaris RZR-4 800 (SOLD)
-1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
-2006 AC Prowler 650XT (SOLD)-- updated bevel gears, updated oil pump driven gear, 4 wheel disc brakes, line lock E-brake, Papa Slap clutch, Xentec HID's, Dynatek CDI, Warn skid plates, Intellitronix gauges, 2010 intake/cvt duct work and dust shield, RZR seats, Bestop folding windshield, full cab kit, rear cage and rear seats (4 seater)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Loyal Member

welcome to the site .. where is home ?

what type terrain do you ride in ? [non issue related just a question]

fill in your profile/signature line .. help us answer questions without more questions.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostxProwler View Post
If I had to take a quick guess at it without more detail I would say its a good possibility its your one way bearing. does it only make this noise when coasting?
I am not sure that I know what the one way bearing is. Is it easy to replace?
The terrain that I mostly ride in is mountain trials, and on some paved roads where I live. I live in the White Mountains of Arizona, at approximatly 7000 ft. I can leave my driveway an be in the forest within a half mile.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Hard to answer the degree of difficulty on inspecting/replacing one way bearing. What are your abilities? Do you have access to a impact wrench that can handle up to 200lbs of torque? Have you worked on your machine? Replacing the bearing entails draining the oil, removing primary, and secondary clutches, inner, and outer clutch covers to access the wet clutch area, one way bearing is on the wet clutch shaft. Do you have a service manual for your machine!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 07:26 AM
Jounior Member

You must be in pinetop/showlow to be able to ride within a half mile. We have a cabin near blue ridge lake. I'm in Phoenix if your ever in the area I can take as look at it, I also have the one way bearing from my Prowler if you needed or wanted to put one back In if that is your problem. Let me know if I can be of any help. You can also call me with questions. Just pm me for my phone number.

09 xtx- custom fox 2.0 air shocks- bighorn tires- custom paint- 4 seat cage built by me- soft top- twisted stitch seats- half doors- intake built by me- magnaflow exhaust built by me- carillo 4 point harnesses all around- 5 h.i.d.'s- clutch kit- dynatek- no more turf saver...tig welded now- 2" wheel spacers- ss-212 rims in black-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement