Hello from Illinois - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Hello from Illinois

Purchased a 2011 HDX in January this year. This was my first UTV. Have owned quads, off-road buggies, sleds, etc. Loving this thing so far - except just tore a CV boot and not having fun getting the axle out. Think I figured it out, though.

So, is this THE forum for Prowler talk? Most of the others don't seem to have much traffic.

Ron

2011 HDX 700 (sold) - CoolFlo windshield, brush guard, Warn winch, hard top, Clarion CD player, amp, Kicker speaker bar, AC rear view mirror, AC storage bag, auxiliary battery with crossover, GBC Grim Reapers.
2007 Suzuki Eiger
2017 CFMoto Zforce 800EX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 02:48 PM
Lifetime Member

you got the right place!!!! I think all the forums are pretty quiet this time of year welcome

2012 prowler xtx custom doors ,bumpers ,lightbar,windshield.rollcage ,stereo,5000lb winch,28"wsamp lites ,1 1/2"wheel spacers.custom graphics,custom rear roll bar,factory fender flares cb radio ltz hoodscoop ac soft top and rear window,ac aluminium skidplates,temp and volt guage ,2"lift kit and sti beadlock wheels
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Administrator

You are in the right place! Welcome to the best site goin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Members are very helpful, and friendly.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 04:40 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockman View Post
Purchased a 2011 HDX in January this year. This was my first UTV. Have owned quads, off-road buggies, sleds, etc. Loving this thing so far - except just tore a CV boot and not having fun getting the axle out. Think I figured it out, though.

So, is this THE forum for Prowler talk? Most of the others don't seem to have much traffic.
Welcome to the best prowler site,great members with a lot of knowledge.it does get a little quite on here through the summer hope you stayed involved.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Administrator

There was a post about axle removal on here the other day. From what was described, you push in on the axle to release the retainer, and quickly pull out the axle. Best bet is to get a service manual, many are available on-line. With all of the members on this forum, there is not much that we have not encountered! Good Info, and humor is our strong suit!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 06:03 PM
Loyal Member

Hello Ron .. what the heck took ya so long we almost ran out of fire wood , new guy's job is to drag in a log and cut'er up and get the coffee rolling THATS YOU Buddy.. BTW Welcome to the house.

lot of BS rolls here but good info when needed also.

stop in and sit a spall once in a while and enjoy the harassing

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 07:01 PM

I found that once you get a little frustrated a push in and then a good yank works every time
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Unfortunately, I learned a day late that you have to push the axle in hard, then, at the same time, pull on the inner CV joint, then it all comes off. I had downloaded the service manual, but evidently did not quite fully understand it. I tried pushing in then yanking out and all that did was pull the axle out of the inner CV joint. Fast forward to today, and this site, and I figured out the proper way. Unfortunately, I put a puller on it last night and pretty much ruined the inner CV joint. Hello Ebay, goodbye hard-earned dollars.

I was probably going to have to replace the outer joint anyway. That's the boot that ripped, and after I cleaned it up, you could see lots of "blueing" near the bearings. I packed it with grease and replaced the boot, and had that gravelly feel to it when I moved the joint around. Just didn't feel right.

Ron

2011 HDX 700 (sold) - CoolFlo windshield, brush guard, Warn winch, hard top, Clarion CD player, amp, Kicker speaker bar, AC rear view mirror, AC storage bag, auxiliary battery with crossover, GBC Grim Reapers.
2007 Suzuki Eiger
2017 CFMoto Zforce 800EX
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 02:44 AM
Administrator

Working on these things give you a quick education! When I first got mine, I put a clutch kit in it, and missed tightening one of the bolts on the inner clutch cover. After a test run, I noticed aluminum filings in the clutch air out duct work. Cost me a new secondary clutch, and fixed plates. Lesson learned! Ebay is where I find 90% of the stuff my wife say's I don't need!

Either - Dick or RD
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 06:55 AM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Welcome to the site, when it comes to Prowlers this is the most active one.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement