new from southern Wisconsin. - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

new from southern Wisconsin.

Howdy folks. I just picked up a 2013 Prowler XTX.
looking forward to learning and sharing any lessons I might learn.

thanks for having me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 01:04 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essness View Post
Howdy folks. I just picked up a 2013 Prowler XTX.
looking forward to learning and sharing any lessons I might learn.

thanks for having me.
Welcome to the best prowler site,glad to have you,lots of great members,and a lot of great info...............

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 01:29 PM

Question 2008 Prowler with engine problems

Hello all, I am new at this so please bear with me . I purchased a prowler last fall wanting to make it my hunting buggy but have been having all kinds of problems. Carb and others now I am having timing chain problems engine has less than 1000 mi this was a new factory replacement engine reset the timing it starts right up runs fine slow down or stop chain jumps you have to rest the chain and gear I have tried 2 different tensioners same thing I have the old engine and looked at the chain and gears they look about the same 3000 mi on them is the 650 bad about stretching and wear on chain and gears? any ideas on what I can do ?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum Ihill, and Essness! What kind of condition is the rear chain guide? With a good chain tensioner it seems almost impossible to jump timing. If the back chain guide is shot you will have to pull the head to R&R it. Also if you pull the head, you need new head bolts! One time use on those! Ask me how I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope this helps!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 09:20 PM
Loyal Member

welcome to both of you two

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 09:19 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhill View Post
Hello all, I am new at this so please bear with me . I purchased a prowler last fall wanting to make it my hunting buggy but have been having all kinds of problems. Carb and others now I am having timing chain problems engine has less than 1000 mi this was a new factory replacement engine reset the timing it starts right up runs fine slow down or stop chain jumps you have to rest the chain and gear I have tried 2 different tensioners same thing I have the old engine and looked at the chain and gears they look about the same 3000 mi on them is the 650 bad about stretching and wear on chain and gears? any ideas on what I can do ?
Welcome to the prowler site.............never have heard of any problems on the 650 stretching chains or jumping time.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 02:29 PM

Definatly a stretched chain or gear problem . I can reset the timing by top dead center mark and the 2 marks on the end of the camshaft to the housing close everything back up and it starts right up but will jump time again when you shut it down or let it get slack in timing chain. I made a manual tension adjuster out of one of my spring operated tensioners and it runs a little longer but it did jump time again. It looks like its time to open it up to see whats happening any lil tricks that I should try first ?????
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 03:32 PM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhill View Post
Definatly a stretched chain or gear problem . I can reset the timing by top dead center mark and the 2 marks on the end of the camshaft to the housing close everything back up and it starts right up but will jump time again when you shut it down or let it get slack in timing chain. I made a manual tension adjuster out of one of my spring operated tensioners and it runs a little longer but it did jump time again. It looks like its time to open it up to see whats happening any lil tricks that I should try first ?????
Sounds like you need to replace tensioner chain and gear.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Administrator

No special tricks to R&R the timing chain, the gear on the cam is taken off to remove the cam anyway, so nothing special there. You will need to pull the wet clutch to get the chain off, so you will need to drain the oil before you do anything. If you remove the head you will need new bolts, but you do not need to pull the head if you are just replacing the chain. Pretty straight forward job, you can do it in about 4 hours without pushing anything. Take your time and check your work. Have fun!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

I'm re-introducing myself

Sorry folks, had some trouble getting back in for a while and needed to be an adult. But I'm back if you'll have me.
Still have the Rzr but missed the msg from Bryan last October to meet in Darlington.
Some memories....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1349.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	43490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1444.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	43498  

Scot
2013 700 XTX Kolpin tilt out windshield, Kolpin rear window, AC soft top, 3500 lb winch with wireless remote, Dynamat lined engine cover............ still working on it. SOLD
2016 Rzr S900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement