2nd battery - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

2nd battery

Hello Prowler Nation. Planing to add 2nd battery, still searching thru the tons of info found here, Thanks guys/gals.

2010 xtx700 w/ xtz plastic, super winch, custom rear bumper, snorkel, tilt windshield, oil cooler. (ya the dreaded turf saver)
Bought as demo w/80 miles, now around 700. got it to hit the mountains of northern Nevada, but ended up as a work horse for the family farm.

Retired last year (35 years,engineer communications company).
Wife said she would go with me now but only after a cab and heater.
I always seemed to have low battery issues. starting problems specially at night.
The to do list includes, spare tire, more lighting, 2" lift. change out turf saver,(after reading some of the posts now gauges)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! I have a similar machine 09 700 XTX, over 6,000 miles and still running the original Turf Saver! I've driven a Prowler without the Turf Saver, and like the Turf Saver better. I do have all the parts I need to swap for a locked rear if it fails! I added a second battery to mine and used a continuous duty solenoid to put it online. With the solenoid I can run the main battery, or both batteries at the flip of switch. Simple set up, but I always have a fresh battery if needed. Back on the Turf Saver, I change my lube twice a year minimum, and I always stick with the AC Friction Modified lube. This may, or may not have anything to do with my Turf Saver, but something seems to be going right on mine!This site offers a lot of info, the members are great and we have fun with each other.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 03:08 PM
Administrator

On D Fritz, got long winded in my first reply! My wife and I are retired also, the wife loves to ride! I'm partial to sq. tube Prowlers! I've done a lot of work on mine, but it is still very dependable. All of your ideas are sound! And information is on this site! Prowlers are somewhat limited on electrical add ons! On your starting issue, is it hard to turn over? Could be the compression release may not be functional? When I run my lights at night, I still see 14.5 volts on my gage (Yup, added them!), I do have a set of LED fog lights I added, and they don't seem to impact the electrical system. LED's seem to be the crowd favorite.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, still feeling my way around this site, so I apologize if I post to wrong areas.
I forgot add in original post I am looking buy/trade for used parts also(spare tire,etc). I'm still reeling from the sticker shock of AC parts.
I hope to get as many miles. Back to turf, For the most part I have gotten used to it, I still don't like the jerking(keep spilling my root beer). I,m not sure about a solid rear either, just might be trading problems. My concern is my wife of 33 years launching us off a cliff or worse making her walk out 20 miles of the Nevada desert cuz of a dead battery. Probably scratch off the list to add sound deading material to the cowling after that. Changing the turf would be last on list
Machine is always garaged and when i serviced it, I just checked the diffs didn't change the fluid yet due to low mileage, per one of your other posts I agree the AC lube would be best. (I do have the service manual on its way now). I don't hot rod it,but it does work.(perfect for our 10 acre family farm) Sure saved the wear/tear on my 97 dodge cummins. I do have to drive 3 miles of pavement to get to the desert unless I trailer it.
One of my biggest concerns was the stator and if it could handle the second battery.Sounds like you've never had a problem
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 05:50 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Welcome to the site! The folks here are more than willing to help you spend your money . Looking forward to seeing some pics when you have enough post (I think it's only 15).

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 06:49 PM
Loyal Member

well now another Nevada feller .... WELCOME and get ready for a lil BS and Harassing from this crowd [that would be me ] , don't worry we can take what we give so have some fun and maybe we [N. Nevada ] guys should meet up one day and have a cool soda pop [of your choice of corse ]

several of us are retired here and got nothing else to do but get in trouble

use the Signature lines to fill in what ya have [it will appear in all your posts ] so we that have CRS can reply without a question.

Arctic Cat dealers are far and few .. finding one with good service is even more rare , and another issue is finding both dealer/good service and PARTS is like looking for a needle in the haystack .. there are several dealers that are spoken of on posts for reasonable prices and reasonable parts on hand .. hope Winnemucca has such a dealer ..

I just passed through your town last Friday on my way home to Sparks .. sold my place in Coeur d'Alene Id. and was bringing a load down.

ever go to the races in Fallon ? I get over there a couple times a year along with Fernley [more often there as it's only an hour] ..

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us

Last edited by GTroyer; 01-19-2015 at 07:20 PM.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

No worries here, my wife's 2nd name for me is bucket mouth. lots of stories to tell. I'm down in the man cave working on rebuilding a couple of lap tops so i will be coming and going online.
No, always turns over pretty easy, and really hard to tell if was turning slower. Acts like the battery is getting weak but my load tester says its fine. Always fires when its cold, I have the starting problem when its warm and its not all the time. When it happens I just let it sit for 2-4 minutes, fires right up. I have noticed that when the battery is low, i can hear the starter bendix hitting on something, assumed it wasn't engaging all the way. If it sits in the garage WITHOUT the charger(small atv maintenance charger) over a week it does not start or very hard starting. SO my conclusion is its just time for a new battery, after all its 5 year old.
I will be doing what you did, continuous solenoid and switch.
When I run the lights I notice they dim then brighten, seems like a constant 4-5 minute cycle.
The year after I bought my AC the local dealer sold out(he knew these machines inside and out) the cycle outfit selling them now are mostly racers and so the AC line up is now kinda the step child, great guys just not a lot of AC tech help yet
(for retired farmers).
I noticed you and others have chopped the cage, Why? Looks?
The bladders with covers? what/where are those? When I changed my air intake I used a dewalt shop vac hose kit and ran it down along the frame above the skid plate and it stops just behind and to the right of the top of the grill opening and reused the factory pre-filter. We have way more dust and dirt than water here, and it was a daily air filter clean. I have full intentions of make the hood scoop functional. I did not reuse the funny shaped air bladder. the dewalt hose fit the air box perfectly. bad move?
My Wife got me a full cab kit for x-mas that just got here. equip breakdowns shipping problems etc..and its still a little cold to get it on but I'm getting ansy
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the offer,Yes we should.think I got the signature line figured out. I assume you went US95 North from Wmca to ID. still have more to bring back? I live in town but the farms a few miles out on Jungo rd.Really not a farm now, has a couple of rental homes but I put in a new well, cleared a two acre junk yard(me and 3 brothers working on hot rods for 40 years) disk, seeded, irrigated 6.5 acres to prove up the water rights, So its a farm to me.
went past the Fernley track a few times, never stopped but looks like a pretty good moto cross. Back in the Iron Men and wooden boat days I used to desert race a honda 250 elsinor? member them, ruined 3 of them and my knee, Still limp.
As far as Fallon, Do you mean Top gun? Raced my Olds there a bunch. (even before at the airport)(I think theres still quite the rivalry between Fallon and Wmca. Have you heard of the street drags in Wmca? A week before hot august nights starts in Reno. My wife and I spent over 16 years in our local race club. We finally have a 1/8 drag strip and dirt track,only 5 miles from my house. I think we just got tired of the whiners. I used to use my prowler to pull my niece's 1/4 junior dragster(pit rig)
has almost exact matching paint to the desert red paint of the 2010 xtz. Had a couple of pics. mines just the 700 I call it the 1000 wannabe (its more than fast enough for me)

Don and Roz
2010 XTX 700 w/ XTZ plastic(desert red), winch, tilt windshield, custom rear bumper(piece of polished alum H-beam),oil cooler, box bars, skid plate
97 Dodge cummins stock other than bed rack and wheels
84 hurst olds 455 cu in bracket drag racer
79 kurtis 5/8 runner bottom flat 505 14:1 cu. in. BBC
Haven't started the olds or floated the boat since I bought the prowler
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Don, covers over my bladders are for protection if one blows. The factory installs bladders on the front, and rear differentials to control pressure build up. You would not believe the amount of lube that comes out of these when they go! Hard starting when hot seems to be a part of these things, I think it is due to the compression release feature, mine is intermittent on hot starts, and valve clearance may impact it. I had over 5,500 miles on mine and the valve clearance never changed from the way it came from the factory. Yours as a 2010 has the pre-filter, and I installed one on mine. Your machine should have the factory dust/noise shield installed which helps greatly.

Either - Dick or RD
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 08:44 AM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON D FRITZ View Post
I assume you went US95 North from Wmca to ID. still have more to bring back?
yes US95 to I84 to US395 through Tri-Cities .. faster average speed / 4 lane once on I84 and cell towers 90% of the way v/s 25% on US95. safer travel when out in BFE eastern Oregon / Idaho

I have a gooseneck with a 20' container loaded full and a Lil 24' fifth wheel camp trailer still up there , I'll get them when the ice melts off in a couple months. The people who bought my place in CdA live in Seattle and are in no rush to have them out of there.

I also left my CJ7 snow plow there but that will end up at a friends in Montana .. he is buying there and has no plow [not a smart thing to do in central Montana lol] .. he's my oldest friend and has helped me many a time , so I figured I'd never get out $$$ what I have in the CJ so I'm going to gift it over to him ... it's a real nice '83 with a hot lil SBC 383 stroker motor and a new Meyers 6.5' or 7' [like I said CRS] plow that been used about 4 times. As you know snow in Reno area is play snow these days ,too much heat in the bowl now do to development so much less snow than the old days.

geeees I talk too much LOL Sorry guys

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement