New to Prowler. Possible belt problems? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2015, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

New to Prowler. Possible belt problems?

Just bought an 09 xtx 700 and it is a real machine, but I've noticed a burning rubber smell at around 40 mph. No slipping or shuddering. Under 40 there is no smell. I'm wondering the belt may be slipping just enough to produce a smell. Also is there any thing I should watch for in general as I ride..,. This is my first side by side. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum, this is the best site going! More than likely it is the belt slipping, how many miles on your Prowler? I have the same machine and I love it! Use quality oil, and make sure it is for a wet clutch, keep you air filter clean (dust will kill these engines quickly). You have a turf saver rear end which requires a friction modifier gear lube (I use Arctic Cat on mine), failure to run the friction modifier will shorten the rear differential life. There has been a lot of talk about the turf saver and related failures. I have over 6,000 miles on mine and it is still performing as new! I change the rear lube 2-3 times a year depending on the mileage. Not sure if this helped any or not, but pretty cheap insurance! Let us know where you are from!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
Old 03-08-2015, 05:19 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Welcome to the forum!

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike

Old 03-08-2015, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that the drive train only has 200 some odd miles on it and the differential problems has been resolved under warranty with the recall. The belt and clutches we replaced when the other work was done. Could the belt just now be getting wore in correctly? From eastern Kentucky! Thanks guys
Old 03-08-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Also it hasn't been ridden in close to 8 months until I got it a week ago. Bought it from a woman whose husband had passed. How can I tell if the belt is getting too hot. Should I be able to touch the belt drive case after a ride. Seems like the engine puts out quite a bit of heat although the seat is directly above the engine so it may just be me.

Last edited by CrazyHORSE77t; 03-08-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:44 PM
Loyal Member

welcome to the house .. lots of good info on your machine / several good wrenches on here have the same machine so don't be afraid to ask questions.

in post #2 you got some great info .. also there are known "issues" with the emergency brake .. make damn sure it is 100% off every time you start out . they will get one click or two all by their self as the cable routing is usually very tight and not release right. this issue can / will cause a fire and destroy your new rig.

this didn't answer your question but better to be aware of it.

the belts usually [at least my experience] don't smell unless they are installed wrong or smoked by using the wrong gear on steep grades or plowing or long time slow speed .. USE LOW RANGE and don't think high range is the end all gear.

suggest you check it out before a long back woods ride so you don't have a long walk home.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
Old 03-08-2015, 09:56 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
I had to replace the engine in my 650 and never smelled any rubber from the start. You say you smell it around 40 mph, what's the fastest you've driven it? Just a thought but if the clutch plates are glazed at higher speeds and rpms it could slip. Have you tried putting it into low side and see if you smell the rubber about the same rpms? Some on here have also mentioned a seal leaking and letting oil into the clutch area.

Just thinking aloud, anyone else have any thoughts?

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
Old 03-09-2015, 07:35 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1962 View Post
I had to replace the engine in my 650 and never smelled any rubber from the start. You say you smell it around 40 mph, what's the fastest you've driven it? Just a thought but if the clutch plates are glazed at higher speeds and rpms it could slip. Have you tried putting it into low side and see if you smell the rubber about the same rpms? Some on here have also mentioned a seal leaking and letting oil into the clutch area.

Just thinking aloud, anyone else have any thoughts?
Mike it could have a little oil leaking on the belt.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
Old 03-09-2015, 07:37 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHORSE77t View Post
Just bought an 09 xtx 700 and it is a real machine, but I've noticed a burning rubber smell at around 40 mph. No slipping or shuddering. Under 40 there is no smell. I'm wondering the belt may be slipping just enough to produce a smell. Also is there any thing I should watch for in general as I ride..,. This is my first side by side. Thanks in advance.
CrazyHorse there is a bolt on the bottom of your belt case ,take that bolt out and see if there is any sign's of oil around the bolt hole....the bolt is under the belt cover.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:38 AM
de3
Loyal Member

welcome to the best prowler site...........keep in touch and let us know what you find out.........and also you will feel heat off theses motors........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement