Just bought our first Arctic Cat - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Just bought our first Arctic Cat

My family has owned only Polaris up to this point with our oldest Sportsman being 15 years old and still starting on one pull!

Last Tuesday we picked up a used 2011 Prowler HDX 700, so we are venturing into Arctic Cat. So far, It is a nice rig! Love the fold down Brushgaurd to allow access to the massive "Frunk" "Sorry watched a Tesla video and that is what Eon Musk nicknamed the front storage space. LOL Also really like the Front and rear 2" receiver!

Anyway, been working through some things and will be adding a few posts with question/help requests towards this new venture.

FYI, The who family really likes it.

Note: Prowler has 3200mi and 401 hours on it.

Last edited by AwwShoot; 10-12-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 12:44 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwShoot View Post
My family has owned only Polaris up to this point with our oldest Sportsman being 15 years old and still starting on one pull!

Last Tuesday we picked up a used 2011 Prowler HDX 700, so we are venturing into Arctic Cat. So far, It is a nice rig! Love the fold down Brushgaurd to allow access to the massive "Frunk" "Sorry watched a Tesla video and that is what Eon Musk nicknamed the front storage space. LOL Also really like the Front and rear 2" receiver!

Anyway, been working through some things and will be adding a few posts with question/help requests towards this new venture.

welcome to the house , lots of those rigs around with a ton of knowledge on them. enjoy reading up on them.

please fill in your location and signature lines, will help later on a thread where your asking a question ... we won't have to ask a question to answer yours.

as you know EVERY brand has lil "things" we would all like to change and lil "issues" .. they will crop up believe me LOL but the good news again there is some real knowledge on that machine here so don't fell bad about asking questions.

also the new guy brews up a LARGE pot of the morning coffee and brings in a load of wood for the fire pit , you it so some of us get up real early and want our mud before we do anything

again welcome. !!!

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Welcome Awwshoot! Great members here! Lot of info! The 700 single cylinder is a great engine! The HDX is a popular machine, so that is a good combination to have! These are roller bearing motors, so clean oil is a must! Air filter also needs attention in dusty environments! Belts seem to last as the AC machines (Prowlers) have a wet clutch. Takes a lot to burn a belt out! Usually if you have a rod knock the bearing is bad, but this will show up as the engine will try to quit running when hot! It took me awhile to get used to the different noises!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

GTroyer, Coffee is always important!!

Fairmont79, Yeah, I read up that these engines are pretty durable and even though the top half may go the bottom half can still be just fine.

My only wish, is that I knew the history on this machine since I am at least the 3rd owner. I really like it and can't wait til get out and take it down a trail. Already have put it to work around the house the first weekend.

Next will be tires. I have lots of reading to do before that purchase. Would like a little more clearance, but do not want to lose any hauling capability.

First thing I think I need to replace the failing battery and clean out the Fuel system. One moment it is slow to take off and the next the dang thing is throwing rocks.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Tires are another area that is wide open on preference. All boils down to intended purpose. I put MAXXIS Bighorns on mine after the originals wore out. I do a lot of trail riding, and some hard pack. They are wearing great! I also have a set of DOT approved tires for street use. Again all depends on the use. Bigger tires may make you do some clutch work in order to use them. However the stock clutch set up does offer plenty of low end. I think Sockman has larger tires on his HDX, and has not encountered any problems. Is your battery under the drivers seat? I have a XTX so HDX's are a little different!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 05:22 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:

Welcome to the best prowler site,great members and lots of good info.....

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Fairmont79, yes the battery is under the drivers seat. Positive terminal was caked with crap so I cleaned that with water & baking soda follower by a wire brush. It still starts the Prowler but most the time requires me to turn the key off, then try again before she starts. Don't have to do that after it is on the charger or within a short time after shutting it off.

The charger does charge but blinks that the battery is bad and not taking a charge like it should.

As far as tires go, yeah was looking at the Big horns since most trail riding would be on packed trails with some sections under about 1 foot of water but still not mud. There are thick mud sections but you can usually avoid them. Our ATVS go through it no problem but there have more clearance and weigh less then this SXS. Only time I have been stuck was hitting a mud hole and high centering the machine on a tree. LOL Wife pulled me out and I turned around a drove through it again without an issue after moving over enough to avoid the tree. LOL

Have read some run 1 to 2" larger tires so I will have to keep looking into it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Then again, may keep the stock size tires and look at a 2" lift.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Then again, may keep the stock size tires and look at a 2" lift.
I went with the GBC Dirt Devils and gained some ground clearance. I did not want to mess with retuning the CVT, so I believe I went with 26" tires. When tire shopping, beware that sometimes a 26" tire is not truly that tall. Mine ended up being pretty true to size, which was actually taller than the stock tires. I have a thread out there regarding this. I'll see if I can find and link it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141024_124707965.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	35081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141024_124822637.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	35089   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150405_152455829_HDR.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	35097  

Ron

2011 HDX 700 (sold) - CoolFlo windshield, brush guard, Warn winch, hard top, Clarion CD player, amp, Kicker speaker bar, AC rear view mirror, AC storage bag, auxiliary battery with crossover, GBC Grim Reapers.
2007 Suzuki Eiger
2017 CFMoto Zforce 800EX
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 09:07 AM

Here's my tire thread, if you're interested.

http://www.prowlertalk.net/forums/ar...-opinions.html

Oh, and welcome aboard!

Ron

2011 HDX 700 (sold) - CoolFlo windshield, brush guard, Warn winch, hard top, Clarion CD player, amp, Kicker speaker bar, AC rear view mirror, AC storage bag, auxiliary battery with crossover, GBC Grim Reapers.
2007 Suzuki Eiger
2017 CFMoto Zforce 800EX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement