2012 Prowler XTX Doesn't Like Heater Fan - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

2012 Prowler XTX Doesn't Like Heater Fan

I was wondering if any one has any input that can help me. I recently installed a heater into a 2012 XTX Prowler and have had nothing but problems with the power steering code popping up and shutting down the power steering ever since.

The strange part is that the code will only pop up and shut down the power steering if the fan for the heater is on and the machine is idling. If I am running down the road and rpm's are higher it doesn't bother it.

Now, think about this. I can use my winch at an idle and it doesn't affect my power steering what so ever. Both winch and heater fan are wired to the battery and the ground wire for the heater fan is zip screwed to the frame chassis.

Any ideas would be great. Doesn't make an sense to me. Voltmeter showed the unit is charging at about 13.5-14.2 VDC at idle with heater fan running.
de3 likes this.

Last edited by artie769; 02-20-2016 at 02:17 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 01:09 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Welcome to the site artie, I don't have power steering but they'll be somebody here that can throw out some ideas to point you in the right direction.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 01:57 PM

Garage
Welcome artie! I cant help you, but Im sure someone else in here with the newer models can do.

650 xt 2008 SOLD
2018 Polaris Ranger 1000 XP

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 02:38 PM

On my boats, the EPS takes alot of power to run. When the current drops too low, thats exactly what happens on them as well. Steering stops and code pops up. I had to drop an extra 32 series battery in the boat to run my lights, amps and still have consistant steering. Same on steering pump on the Prowlers. You just barely have the current to run it with the fuel pump, ignition, engine cooling fan... stuff that normally run. Yet alone with the heater, running. 2 things to do. Dual batteries or one bigger battery and consider adding an alternator. Your factory stator is putting out around 20 amps and just isn't enough to add to the battery what you are pulling out of it. An alternator will help give you the power to need to run everything. The best addition I've made to mine so far. I can run everything while plowing now, with the 40 amp "RD Alternator".

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Bryan,

Thanks for the advise. What you are saying makes perfect sense. I didn't realize that arctic cat put such a small stator in these machines. Makes having a 12 volt accessory outlet kind of useless doesn't it.

Where did you get your RD alternator from? Is this something you got from arctic cat or somewhere else?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 04:15 AM
Loyal Member

welcome to the house Artie

there is a current thread running about the alternator , it's a home made mounted automotive unit installed on an A/C

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie769 View Post
Bryan,

Thanks for the advise. What you are saying makes perfect sense. I didn't realize that arctic cat put such a small stator in these machines. Makes having a 12 volt accessory outlet kind of useless doesn't it.

Where did you get your RD alternator from? Is this something you got from arctic cat or somewhere else?
RD stands for Fairmont79, he is building alternator kits for the Prowlers. He is the forums "tech guru" and will chime in as soon as he see's this post. He can take care of you... Yes, that accessory port is useless for large amp eating accessories.

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Welcome Artie769! Yup, I showed up! The XTX's are limited at 27 amps total on the stator, reworking a stator may get you 2-3 additional amps but requires rewinding. Running the power steering draws quite a bit. I installed a second battery on mine, but snow plow use really taxes the system. I thought about the best way to address this, and stay cost effective. I installed a 70 amp Denso mini alternator on mine driven off the front driveshaft. Drawback is that it does not charge until moving, but at speeds above 10 mph it really pays for itself! Before the alternator, any time the cooling fan cycled my voltage would drop to 12 volts, after the alternator, voltage stays at 14+, I think I have pictures in my album. Presently putting kits together minus the alternator, still working on machining the pulleys! PM me if you would like more info

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for your help. This site is great.

I think I'm going to look into getting a better battery for starters, like perhaps a good odyssey battery. Might also consider two batteries in parallel and add a connector for trickle charging when not in use. I think they are more comparable to a marine type battery. I know currently the machine has the original artic cat battery, which I have read are not the greatest. I am also going to inquire about the alternator up grade.

Seems to me that arctic cat needs to open up the window for their EPS systems to allow for accessories to be used while the machine is idling without kicking on the EPS code and shutting down the system. Who's going to use the power steering sitting around idling?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 09:35 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie769 View Post
I was wondering if any one has any input that can help me. I recently installed a heater into a 2012 XTX Prowler and have had nothing but problems with the power steering code popping up and shutting down the power steering ever since.

The strange part is that the code will only pop up and shut down the power steering if the fan for the heater is on and the machine is idling. If I am running down the road and rpm's are higher it doesn't bother it.

Now, think about this. I can use my winch at an idle and it doesn't affect my power steering what so ever. Both winch and heater fan are wired to the battery and the ground wire for the heater fan is zip screwed to the frame chassis.

Any ideas would be great. Doesn't make an sense to me. Voltmeter showed the unit is charging at about 13.5-14.2 VDC at idle with heater fan running.
What is the number of the code popping up,I believe if it's 0935,that's low voltage,I have heard of a few with power steering having the code show up at idle by just grabbing the wheel....

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement