new from Webbwood Ontario Canada - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up new from Webbwood Ontario Canada

hello, nice to be here. my name is Terrance and i've had my 2014 prowler xtx 700 for 9 months now and started to dress it up a bit. i put a 40" light bar on the front and 2- 4" on for back up lights.and a yellow led caution light, now from what i have been reading i may have to put a second battery in for extra juice or just replace the old one with an optima yellow top and build a box for it. i have also read that guys have put an alternator from a chev on them. it was used all of last winter for plowing the yard worked like a dream but it was hard to see in the dark and that is why the lights.the temperature here can get to -35c, i have it stored in the garage but it is not heated. i'am going to put a battery tender on it so it will stay charged so when i need to use it the battery will be charged. Feel free to sound off on this please ..i have read alot about it and it seems on here you guys have and lot of knowledge and input through trial and error.so any input is greatly appreciated. thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Lifetime Member

Garage
Welcome to the site! RD is the XTX expert here, I think he's tearing his apart again just for fun.

'07 Prowler 650 H1 XT, L.E.D. stop/turn signals, Summit Racing heater, AC winch, AC windshield, soft cab & doors, 6' Eagle Plow, oil gauge, Maxxis MT-762 truck tires, AC Fender Flares, E-Brake alarm, Yutrax UTV Jump Seat, Dynatek CDI
Missouri Mike
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Welcome Terrance, great to have a new member! Rd here, and yup guilty as charged, I do tinker with my Prowler a lot! I have a 2009 XTX, and just now have 10,000 and change miles on it! For your need I'd recommend the Optima deep cycle battery. I'm using the mini chevy alternator on mine, and it is driven off the front driveshaft. It needs to see 10 mph before it provides any charging benefit. If you are plowing a long drive, it would help, but if you are not able to run it above 10 mph I don't think it would help. I have two batteries in mine, plus a 70 amp alternator. The stock prowler's are limited to 27 amp on their electrical systems. Adding lights, plow, add quite a load! I put Superbrite LEDS in my factory headlight housings and they provide plenty of light. I have ample reserve with my electrics!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 04:25 AM

Garage
Welcome. I am the one with the Optima Yellow Top. I got the box from E-bay and went to Canadian Tire to get a couple pieces of steel to fab up the mounts. It fits in the stock location. I also put in a couple of stands to keep everything else(voltage regulator, tip over sensor, etc) in stock locations. I have had no starting issues during the winter(Kirkland Lake Area). RD is also helping me with an Alt install since his kit will not go onto a HDX.

2012 Prowler HDX, 29"Big Horns, Commander UTV tracks, Curtis plow, 4000lb winch, Optima yellow top battery, Shark 1000 watt stereo, Sirius radio, LED lights, EBC Brakes, K&N filter, Outerwares prefilter, One way bearing delete & EPI clutch kit, EPI extreme duty belt
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 08:02 AM
Loyal Member

welcome to the house

might look into Odyssey Batteries , same size but much higher amp ratings , I run a 925 amp Odyssey in my XTZ fits in stock positron with no changes little more $$ but well worth it IMHO

fill in location and signature lines .. helps later when you ask questions , we won't have yo ask a question to answer yours

also new guy gets to brew morning coffee ... we like it strong but not boiled out and EARLY as some of us get up with the cows

also bring a load of fire wood for the pit, sit a spell and swap a few lies with us

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

nice to have nice to have a warm welcome thanks guys appreciate everyone Rd you're the guy well all the reading that I have done and everything that I've ever built I was thinking of going the same way adapting a pulley to the front drive shaft with a small Chevy alternator . I 've done this before on tractors. I'am fabricating a battery box out of aluminum to put an Optima battery in. As for your speed of 10 miles an hour ,to get the alternator to spin up to charge you can always change the pulley to a smaller one so it will spin up to speed faster and charge the battery. My Prowler is still under warranty until spring so I wasn't looking to do any mods ASAP just trying to get me through this winter until the warranty is over. I'm in the process of building an aluminum roof for it. And looking at putting a 2 inch lift on it because where I have to travel over the train tracks i'am sliding on the plow mount .but other than that she seems to be a sound machine and again thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'll try and keep you up-to-date on the roof and my battery box and maybe even an alternator as soon as I'm done thanks again.....

Last edited by 14prowler; 10-06-2016 at 12:25 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Administrator

I used a 2" alternator pulley, and 10" on the driveshaft. This gave me a great combo! Makes for a nice compact package! I went with a 70 amp 3 wire on mine.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 06:39 AM
Administrator

The alternator has been a fun project to do! First time I mounted to the frame member on the passenger side. It sat pretty low so water crossings would have been a problem! I then used the shift tower to mount the alternator, got it up pretty high. Pulley ratio was played with. 10" pulley on the 700XTX, and XT, 9" on the 650's (they run a higher final gear ration 4.0) Working on a HDX mount now with Stump426. It is a fairly low cost option to increase the amp output on a Prowler.

Either - Dick or RD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement