Loud noise during braking - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Loud noise during braking

My 2007 Prowler XT650 while applying the brakes makes a very loud clacking noise that sounds like metal on metal. This occurs when I apply the brakes quickly on speeds of 20 MPH and greater. Pulling power is good and there is no slippage on the drive train. I have inspected the Vbelt and brake calipers and both are in good shape. Does anyone know what could be the cause?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Rides all the time

Mine does the same thing....still not sure what exactly is causing it.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 12:56 PM

yup, mine too. like a fast "chunka, chunka" while breaking, its done it since it was new.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Jounior Member

do a search in the forums as this has come up a few times before and been explained.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 06:13 PM

I hear the same thing. I also hear it on polaris atv's. I've asked around and always get the same response. I've been told it's the drive belt slapping around inside because of the sudden deceleration.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!

07 Prowler 650 H1 XT
3000lb. Warn winch
2" lift by Highlifter
30" Silverbacks on 14" SS112's
FMF Powercore exhaust
Dynatech CDI box
rejetted with Jets R Us OEM jets
stage 1&2 by ///AIRDAM
clocked secondary to B3
19 gram rollers (red)
2" snorkel by me
chrome skull shifter
LED tail lights in bed by me
fog lights
roof
custom doors by me
custom removable rear cage by me & friends
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 07:26 PM

its your brake disc on your rear diff. at some point and time you may have left your parking brake on and drove with it on, causing it to get really hot and it warped it causeing it to "chatter" every time you hit the brakes. you need to replace the rotor as well as the pads because they are glazed as well. my advice after doing this is to disconect the parking brake after doing this and chunk it in the trash. when you leave it in high or low it will not roll forward and when you leave it in reverse it will not roll backwards
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Jounior Member

THISISBRY: that is a good guess, and may have been the fix for your issue, but the chatter chatter chatter these guys are hearing is the driveline and trans output gears racheting back and forth under a lead. is does this when you are hard on the rear brakes rapidly decellerating after doing high speeds. the load exerted on the driveline from dragging the rear tires after having the motor spun up so high is great, and causes a backlash effect in the driveline and transmission causing the gears in the rear end, axles, and trans output gears to basically chatter back and forth on each other.

will it hurt the machine? -- repeated abuse like this can most likely cause driveline failures in the future. you are basically dragging the rear wheels because the engine braking is wanting to stop the rear tires faster than the bike is traveling and once you apply the brakes it drags the rear wheels causing alot of strain on the driveline. it could lead to premature wear of the axles and roller bearings, as well as the rear chunk. the majority of the noise is from the axles and rear chunk because they take the brunt of the decelleration because they are the first link in between the rear wheels and the moving driveline.

will this bust internal gears? -- not likely. the majority of the strain when this happens is on the outward most driveline components.

is it something i need to have checked out? -- no not at all. your dealer probably cant replicate the sound cause they dont care to, and aren't gonna go chasing a bear in the woods to try and pin a bow on his head, they are gonna say nothing is wrong with it and send you back out the door. and in all actuality nothing is wrong with the bike, its just driveline chatter from dragging the rear wheels when they dont wanna stop so fast.

///AIRDAM clutch machining
< http://airdamclutches.com/ >
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Jounior Member

Thanks airdam for the explanation,that is what i thought it was since I used to have the same issue in a 4 wheel drive truck only in low range.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Jounior Member

Well explained Airdam, that is exactly what is going on, my machine did it from new and I never left the parking brake on. It seems to be getting better as the machine get some miles on it, or could be a changing driving style!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Rides all the time

Thanks for the explaination Airdam. That sounds like what mine is doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement