grinding noise when stopping in low range or reverse - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

grinding noise when stopping in low range or reverse

2006 Prowler, runs great but now has gear grinding noise when letting off of gas at low speed in reverse and low range, have never heard it in high range. Does anyone have any thoughts to what is going on?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 11:56 AM

Garage
Welcome TNPROWLER!! Just curious as to where are you all from? and How long have you owned your prowler?

Where does it seem to come from? Engine/tranny? or diffs? Can you tell left or right side? Is it only when moving? No hint of such sound when idling or revving the engine in neutral? I just had my one way bearing fail and that can cause noise like that, or so I've heard. Mine was a different sound than that.....but........ Brakes worn past pads and grabbing rotors?? Just throwing things out there......

2010 Prowler 1000 XTZ Desert Red, hard top, Kolpin split front windshield, rear lexan window, RzR S bucket seats, 28" Swamp Lite tires, MotoAlliance Denali 72" Plow

I go by Paxx but you can call me anything you want......just don't call me late for supper!!
If you can't be good.......Be good at it!!!

http://www.northernliteaerocraft.com/
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Welcome TNProwler! This is the best place for Prowler owners by far! Could be the emergency brake you are hearing. This has been a common complaint on the Prowlers with the parking brake located on the rear driveshaft. First time I heard mine I thought the world was ending! LOL Transmission bevel gear is in common use in High, Low, and Reverse so any noise grinding in any gear would be present in all. The gears on the Prowler are either fully engaged, or not at all. Shifting between gears may cause grinding if not fully stopped, or RPM is to high. All things to consider.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 04:58 PM

I have a similar problem

Did you figure out what the problem was? I have a similar problem that is getting worse.

Have a 2007 650 Prowler. It has been running great but when I step on the brake pedal for about a second it make a horrible grinding sound and then the brakes kick in and everything is fine. Noise seems to be coming from under me. I first noticed it about 100 miles ago it would do it occasionally, but this last outing it has been doing it almost every time. The emergency brake pads look ok. It does it at any speed...even if just barely moving. Any thoughts?
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 04:24 AM
Administrator

This is a common issue, and while no harm is done to the machine it is a pain in the butt! Several things to look at, 1) Anti rattle springs on the caliper are weak, or missing. Some members have added a rubber cushion. 2) The disc may be warped and may need replaced 3) Some have converted to 4 wheel brakes and eliminated the parking brake. One member "DE3"came up with a nifty parking brake solution after converting to disc brakes that is worth looking at! 4) My solution is to live with it! LOL

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

I am in West Tennessee, I have had the the Prowler for about 4 years. It has ran great up to this point. I haven't been able to pin point where the sound is coming from yet, but it sounds like if you don't have it fully engaged in gear and the grind that happens there. It sounds like a gears grinding but only when letting off the throttle in low range and reverse.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

I am in West Tennessee and have had the Prowler for about 4 years. I don't have to have the brake depressed for the grinding sound to happen just let off the throttle at low speed in either reverse or low range.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 07:34 AM
Administrator

With that being said, I'd pull the one way bearing out. Sounds like it is failing. You don't really need the one way bearing, many have taken their's off. Download a free service manual at K&T Lawn Equipment, or Country Cat. Or check in the Frequently asked questions on this forum.

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 08:00 AM

You got some hills in TN but I still would try the Prowler without the one way bearing. You don't lose all engine breaking, just at low speeds. Using low range on hill descendants would provide some engine braking too.

If you don't like it with out you can just put a new one in.

2012 XTZ
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 09:50 AM

Garage
I agree on the one way bearing removal. As of yet I do not even notice that I took mine out. Not gonna put one back in to have it pile up again!!

2010 Prowler 1000 XTZ Desert Red, hard top, Kolpin split front windshield, rear lexan window, RzR S bucket seats, 28" Swamp Lite tires, MotoAlliance Denali 72" Plow

I go by Paxx but you can call me anything you want......just don't call me late for supper!!
If you can't be good.......Be good at it!!!

http://www.northernliteaerocraft.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement