DaRo - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

DaRo

howdy, new to the forum,
have a 2006 prowler H1 XT, less than 150 hrs.,will turn over will not ignite. I was plowing snow when it just shut down.
Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Daro

Apologies as I did not finish the intro, I'm located on the BRPkway in NC, by way of AL, NM, GA, and MD. and all the other 48 states plus most of the world.
I purchased the prowler for the primary reason of snow removal, and the fact that I got a great buy from a neighbor who never used it, less than 50 hrs. when I bought it. Found a 1/2$ deal on an OEM plow, super easy install, and used on a couple big snows, did the 100 hr. maintenance, and am still under 200 hours of use. I'm glad to have found this forum as I was looking for repair/service manuals. That said yellow to all. That said, the previous owner always had issues with a dead battery, I have installed two so far. the unit was idle for almost three years as I have been away on work and never used it. I would try and crank it on my trips home but it would never fire, so finally, as I was setting up to plow this season, I changed to new battery and discovered the main fuse was bad and upon replacing, it fired right up. installed the blade and all seemed fine, added some fuel (did not add enough as that was one problem) drove it a few times and waited for the storm. It shut down after about 10 minutes of plowing. What I found, after finally getting back to the garage after 16" of snowfall, when I was checking for a spark, was that it had been spewing the gas I put in due to many splits in the clear, not black feeder line to the carb. I also discovered the formed black hose that runs from the air intake to the motor housing has 6-8 slits (like they were cut with a razor blade) in the first bend from the filter housing. I added a little more gas and even more splits occurred. I found this odd, but maybe its the extreme temps and lack of use.So all this said, the arctic cat has done me well, and I need to pay more attention to maintenance. Thanks to all of your threads, and any advice you can share regarding what to pay attention to will be greatly appreciated. Best to the members, I look forward to your comments and becoming a new member myself.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 05:15 AM

Welcome Buddy! My carbed 09 650 had never failed me. (crap, I shouldn't have said that!) So is it running now? If the battery isn't put on a battery maintainer, between uses, they won't last long at all. The clock and dash display is always hot. Though the dash lights aren't on, its always taking juice. I checked along time ago, I think it was 300 milliamps, to the cluster. all the time.... I posted it to a thread here after I did it. Might be in one of our alternator threads, from when RD and I were working on installing mine. That and a full sized AGM 22 series, were the best upgrades I have done... Lots of power!

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Bryan,
I would never have guessed the instrument panel would have had a trickle drain on the battery when the ignition switch was in the of position. That is some bad engineering. I did install a battery tender when I installed the new battery. It still would not turnover until I replaced the blown Main fuse. If it's worth it, I'll look into the added Alternator. I rarely use this equipment unless it"s a bad winter. I'll be changing the gas lines and any other rubber components that are failing this week, as that was my problem that shut me down with this storm. I currently have a rag top and no windshield. An added cab sounds like a good investment as well, any suggestions?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 08:03 PM
Loyal Member

welcome to the house DaRo ..

FYI the gas we have now days eats the fuel lines .. look for a station that sells NON alcohol fuel .. should be one or more around usually takes some looking though ... this gas is bas for all small engines as they are manufactured with parts that are not compatible [older cars that sit are also prone to fuel line rot n cracking]

the alternator set up spoken about by Bryan is a great deal for snow plow rigs , BUT if you in play snow [not often and usually not hear loads] then your battery will be fine but you will have to charge it after each use if you want trouble free plowing .. uses a lot of power to pull the plow blade up and down and the factory battery size isn't strong enough for all that without additional charging help , stop and get a cup of coffee and charge between plow runs helps also. [if you area is large enough]

as to battery drain ... no different than todays automobiles , they also pull a draw off the battery when off , but you usually drive daily so you never notice that.

FYI the Prowler you have is the square tube roll cage model ... VERY HARD TO FIND PARTS and after market items to fit those so do you homework asap and good luck .... some folks have home built enclosures and roofs also windshields and doors ... read through the site's archives and find some of those threads.

again welcome to the house , stop in a BS with us .. be ready for some smart azz answers for guys like me all is good clean fun of course

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:55 AM

DaRo, I have 2 windshields for sale that will fit your Prowler. One used Lexan and a brand new sport DOT approved glass windshield. Also have a news black rear plastic window. The bad part about the glass windshield is the shipping. But if you are half way close to Iowa, I'll deliver part way. PM me if you want prices. I can round up pics. Wait... I got some!
First pic is the glass sport windshield, 2nd is the used lexan, just for S&G's I got a pic of the alternator, the AGM battery, remote battery posts and a pic of one of the reasons I need all this juice.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180222_110241.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	47983   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180312_141443.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	47985   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180113_100200.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	47987   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180322_181010.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	47989   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180323_101926.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	47991  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180409_190116.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	47993  

'09 650XT H1, 72" Eagle Plow, Warn 3500 Winch. Dyna CDI box, UNI filters, A/C V-bag and console, EPI lift kit, Highlifter springs, Scat ProCar suspension seats. Rick the Rockets A frame and shock bushings. 28x12X14 Raceline Bruisers on Vision rims, on all corners. Cowling heat vents. Factory heat and defrost. RD's custom alternator kit. XTZ hood scoop and front shocks. Monster shock covers, turn signals. OEM glass sport windshield, sliding rear window, and lights, lights and more lights!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Always glad to see new members! Welcome to the Best Prowler Site going! Bryan is a 650 expert! Plowing snow with a Prowler makes the job fun! They will move a ton of snow in quick order!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
DaRo, I have 2 windshields for sale that will fit your Prowler. One used Lexan and a brand new sport DOT approved glass windshield. Also have a news black rear plastic window. The bad part about the glass windshield is the shipping. But if you are half way close to Iowa, I'll deliver part way. PM me if you want prices. I can round up pics. Wait... I got some!
First pic is the glass sport windshield, 2nd is the used lexan, just for S&G's I got a pic of the alternator, the AGM battery, remote battery posts and a pic of one of the reasons I need all this juice.....
\

That is the best place for a battery upgrade! I keep forgetting you went big! LOL

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 05:12 AM

What's your favorite saying RD? Oh ya, go big or home! Right?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:13 AM
Loyal Member

correction .... go big and go broke LOL
Fairmont79, Bryan and Firecat like this.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement