Cue - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Cue

Cue

Hey All!

My name is Q and I live in Riverside County, CA. Married with twin boys, and I'm a sand-a-holic. There...I've said it, and from what I've heard, admitting the problem is the first step in fixing the problem! I've been going to Glamis for a number of years, progressing from an 86 tri-z 250, to a Banshee, to a 2 seat, vw powered 2 seater rail. Had the twins and realized that I need a four seat vehicle to haul the whole family in the dunes, or at least something that will get the wife and boys out of the rv. I bought an 07 650 xt a few months back for the wife. I need her happy so that we can continue to go to the dunes. My (her) prowler is a four seater, has walker evans shocks, beard seats, itp wheels, ipod stereo, upgraded tie rods, steering stabilizer, windshield, and doors from prestige motorsports. Tires on it are 26 terra cross in the front and I forget the similar type tires in the rear. It has a k&n drop in and a dynatek cdi. All stock other than that. It also has about 4000 miles on it. I am the 3rd owner. Right after I bought it, I replaced all fluids with factory oils, adjusted the valves, and changed out the spark plug. It seems to run very well (hate the turf saver rear!).

I decided to go the the dunes in mid october for a test run without the family. Long story short, a half a mile into the dunes and I smell rubber, a poof of smoke, and I'm dead in the water. Had to get towed back by a rzr s (insert humiliated smilie here). Turned out that the previous owner did not use locktite on the primary nut, it backed off, and fried the primary cover thing's splines (that covers the rollers in the clutch). While apart, I put in the speedwerks dune clutch. All back together and running good. Took it out to Glamis for Thanksgiving. We headed out to the "little" dunes for a little quality family time. By little, I mean 15 to 20 foot dunes at about a 45 degree angle with the tires at about 6 lbs of pressure. I could not get up it! 4 wheel drive-couldn't get up it! Flattened all tires-couldn't get up it! Low gear-wouldn't get up it. Tires flat, 4 wheel high, diff lock, and a running start-finally made it up this puny dune. Highly disappointed.

Went to the dealer and explained the situation. He had another (very similar) 07 650 xt there with about 1/4 of the miles mine has, and had him drive both to compare to see if something was wrong with mine. We even drag raced with him beating me by about 5 feet or so. They wanted to do a bunch of tests (compression, etc) to try and figure it out. I don't really have $500 bucks to have this done, and he even said that it probably wouldn't be worth it anyway. Asked him what he would suggest, and he related that the cheapest route might be a set of paddles. He also said that they could do a top end and punch it up to a 700 cc for about $1500, and that would help me in the dunes. I have no ill will towards the dealer, and consider him a pretty straight shooter. (even though parts ALWAYS have to be ordered and I get to pay shipping as well)

Are there any duners out there that have had the same problem, and if so, what solution did you come up with? I'm considering selling the Prowler and getting something else like a rhino or a ranger just because I have seen them out in the big dunes and parts are more readily accessible.

Any suggestions? (and by the way, thanks for reading my novella!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0192.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1612  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Loyal Member

Welcome to the site. My 650 duned great. Yep way out in the big dunes. Very impressed with it when it was stock. I will say that I did buy some terra cross tires for it a few years ago and that is when the fun ended. They were too heavy and I knew it but had to try em anyway. What a pig with those tires on it. Switched back to stock and was much better. And The paddles if you go with the light set up will work great. Oh and you should not have the turf saver rear end. You should have the 4.0 standard spool type.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:07 AM
Loyal Member

Welcome to the forum, Listen to Sandchris he really knows his stuff. Im running the sand tire size that he recommended to another Dessertcat and they are Fantastic!

2009 Prowler 700 XTX Walker Evans Shocks,STI Roctane 27/9/14 and 27/11/14 tires,Warn skid plates,Ridgid Ind Prerunner Cage,Home made spare tire carrier,Hids high and low beams,1.5 inch wheel spacers,E Brake Alarm, Rear diff vent mod Etc. NO TURF SAVER!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Rides all the time

I have a stock 07 650xt with stock Goodyears and I keep up with everyone in my group just fine....they even have paddles.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanggeek View Post
I have a stock 07 650xt with stock Goodyears and I keep up with everyone in my group just fine....they even have paddles.
Yes he does!

2009 Prowler 700 XTX Walker Evans Shocks,STI Roctane 27/9/14 and 27/11/14 tires,Warn skid plates,Ridgid Ind Prerunner Cage,Home made spare tire carrier,Hids high and low beams,1.5 inch wheel spacers,E Brake Alarm, Rear diff vent mod Etc. NO TURF SAVER!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Loyal Member

Welcome aboard.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Cue

Thanks for all of the replies and advice. I guess it's time to get some new tires. Can anybody recommend a certain size or brand of either paddle or regular tire that has worked out well for them in the dunes? Will stock rims still fit even if I have wheels spacers? And if so, anybody got any stockers they want to sell???

Thanks for the correction on my rear diff, Sandchris!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Loyal Member

We are glad to help around here. Real important on the paddles to run the lightest tire wheel combo you can. Wakes the 650's right up. I recommend a 8 inch wide x 10 inch diameter douglas blue label wheel for the rear. With a real light carcass like the lumber jack for the 7 paddle extreme rears. For the front a 7 inch wide x 12 inch dimeter red label. Again need to start with a real light carcass for the front buff. So in other words this gives you a 8" wide 10" diameter 7 paddle 25" tall tire for the rear that helps with a little lower final drive ratio verses the 26" tire you running. And you end up with a 7" wide 12" diameter smooth buff for the front to clear the calipers. This set up weighs in at 17-19 lbs each for a tire and wheel. This is probably half or more what the terra cross tires and wheels weigh you are running. The one bummer of this set up is that for the fronts the vavle stem hole has to be welded up and a new one drilled on the other side of the douglas red label wheels. This just happens on the front ones though. As far as the wheel spacers go this set up has a good offset to it. It will probably end up being almost as wide as your current set up with the spacers. Wheel spacers are more weight you have to spin and will hurt performance imo. The best advise I can give you is keep it as light as possible for the 650 cc's.
Couple more things I would consider is the tie rods and the clutch weights.
The stock tie rods suck and need to be addressed. They bend-break very easily. There are beaf up kits avail. from AC. And aftermarket tie rods from some vendors on this site.
Next the clutch rollers can become hot and get flat spots in them. I would take a look at those as soon as you have the time. And of course if you see any flat spots replace them. Not that the rollers are a problem but unless I knew I would check em.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Rides all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandchris View Post
We are glad to help around here. Real important on the paddles to run the lightest tire wheel combo you can. Wakes the 650's right up. I recommend a 8 inch wide x 10 inch diameter douglas blue label wheel for the rear. With a real light carcass like the lumber jack for the 7 paddle extreme rears. For the front a 7 inch wide x 12 inch dimeter red label. Again need to start with a real light carcass for the front buff. So in other words this gives you a 8" wide 10" diameter 7 paddle 25" tall tire for the rear that helps with a little lower final drive ratio verses the 26" tire you running. And you end up with a 7" wide 12" diameter smooth buff for the front to clear the calipers. This set up weighs in at 17-19 lbs each for a tire and wheel. This is probably half or more what the terra cross tires and wheels weigh you are running. The one bummer of this set up is that for the fronts the vavle stem hole has to be welded up and a new one drilled on the other side of the douglas red label wheels. This just happens on the front ones though. As far as the wheel spacers go this set up has a good offset to it. It will probably end up being almost as wide as your current set up with the spacers. Wheel spacers are more weight you have to spin and will hurt performance imo. The best advise I can give you is keep it as light as possible for the 650 cc's.
Couple more things I would consider is the tie rods and the clutch weights.
The stock tie rods suck and need to be addressed. They bend-break very easily. There are beaf up kits avail. from AC. And aftermarket tie rods from some vendors on this site.
Next the clutch rollers can become hot and get flat spots in them. I would take a look at those as soon as you have the time. And of course if you see any flat spots replace them. Not that the rollers are a problem but unless I knew I would check em.
A few of the guys here have this setup and it works great.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Cue

Thanks again for all of the advice! My Cat already has had the tie rods upgraded and I replaced the rollers with the Speedwerkx "dune" ones. One thing I noticed regarding the front end is that sometimes it "pops", but I haven't found any loose nuts on the tie rods and such. It doesn't appear to be broken or hindering performance, but I was thinking that something may need to be greased??? It seems as though my next step is to get some new wheels and tires (or paddles). Thanks again, guys! Anybody got a tire set up they want to sell????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement