Street legal Prowler? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Street legal Prowler?

To My Fellow UTV Enthusiasts,
I am a Texas dealer of Arctic Cat ATV’s & UTV’s.
One of the most frequent questions that I get from customers who come in looking for a UTV is; can I make it street legal?
At this point in time, my only answer to them is “I’m not sure why, but NO”.
I am at a point where I am looking for an ally or allies to challenge this.
A UTV can easily be outfitted with turn signals, rearview mirrors, lighted license plate holders, etc.
Considering everything from motorcycles, to some of the tiny little “green” three wheeled death-traps that are being licensed daily, I can see absolutely no reason why they cannot be made street legal.
As a dealer, I can easily provide & create a UTV that fulfills every safety requirement that the State of Texas requires for a car. If I can find an ally (lawyer?), I will provide the vehicle and more, if you might be willing to take this issue up with me.
Case in point- In the early days of the HOV lanes for Houston freeways, two passengers was the law. A local attorney set out to deliberately be ticketed in order to form a basis for a challenge, based upon a little known federal law. He pushed the matter through the courts, and succeeded in opening these lanes to single rider motorcyclists, since the bikes are registered vehicles, and meet all legal and safety requirements.
I am in the process of researching the “catch” that makes a DMV clerk say no. I believe that I have it narrowed down, at least partially, and it is simply a trivial little bit of wording in the DMV code.

If anyone can help with information and/or guidance, please feel free to contact me.

Jeff Weimer
Brazos Cycles & Motorsports
714 Hwy 90A-East
Richmond, Tx. 77406
281-342-1806- Shop
832-744-8388- Cell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticCatDaddy View Post
To My Fellow UTV Enthusiasts,
I am a Texas dealer of Arctic Cat ATV’s & UTV’s.
One of the most frequent questions that I get from customers who come in looking for a UTV is; can I make it street legal?
At this point in time, my only answer to them is “I’m not sure why, but NO”.
I am at a point where I am looking for an ally or allies to challenge this.
A UTV can easily be outfitted with turn signals, rearview mirrors, lighted license plate holders, etc.
Considering everything from motorcycles, to some of the tiny little “green” three wheeled death-traps that are being licensed daily, I can see absolutely no reason why they cannot be made street legal.
As a dealer, I can easily provide & create a UTV that fulfills every safety requirement that the State of Texas requires for a car. If I can find an ally (lawyer?), I will provide the vehicle and more, if you might be willing to take this issue up with me.
Case in point- In the early days of the HOV lanes for Houston freeways, two passengers was the law. A local attorney set out to deliberately be ticketed in order to form a basis for a challenge, based upon a little known federal law. He pushed the matter through the courts, and succeeded in opening these lanes to single rider motorcyclists, since the bikes are registered vehicles, and meet all legal and safety requirements.
I am in the process of researching the “catch” that makes a DMV clerk say no. I believe that I have it narrowed down, at least partially, and it is simply a trivial little bit of wording in the DMV code.

If anyone can help with information and/or guidance, please feel free to contact me.

Jeff Weimer
Brazos Cycles & Motorsports
714 Hwy 90A-East
Richmond, Tx. 77406
281-342-1806- Shop
832-744-8388- Cell
Here in Arizona it dosent take much to make a Prowler street legal Mirror,Horn,Plate bracket But to tell the truth they really are not really street legal because of the non DOT legal tires. They are tittled as a Motorcycle but you dont need a MC license to drive one.

2009 Prowler 700 XTX Walker Evans Shocks,STI Roctane 27/9/14 and 27/11/14 tires,Warn skid plates,Ridgid Ind Prerunner Cage,Home made spare tire carrier,Hids high and low beams,1.5 inch wheel spacers,E Brake Alarm, Rear diff vent mod Etc. NO TURF SAVER!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:27 PM

this is something that you need to contact the vehicle inspector at a Tx DMV. they could tell you what in your state law prohibits UTVs from being registered for On highway use . here in AZ you can get almost anything registered for the highway use. it must meet some very minor requirement like Joes said tail/brake , license plate light , horn . they are not required to have turn signals , if you run a Full glass windsheild it must have a wiper for the driver side .

alot of states require emissions testing for ALL vehicals registered for the street . calif and new mexico wont let them on the road either if they are registered in those states but we AZ guys can run our cars on CA and NM roads !

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Jounior Member

I as-well have been looking here in MN into laws of legal street use, but seems that every law man, DMV, or other maker of the law, and i just keep getting the same answer and wierd look from all of them.
But really courious to know, cause i would love to run this thing through town.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 04:14 AM

Here is a post from a guy in Michigan that got his RZR titled for street legal.

ATVPT - All Terrain Vehicle Product Tests Forum - Street Legal Side X Side

Might give you guys some ideas.

2010 Prowler XTZ 1000-
27" Grim Reaper Tires/Home Made Roof/Arctic Cat Mirror/Quadboss Folding Windshield w/ home made support bar/LED Tail-Brake lights//Venom 4000 lb Winch/Amsteel synthetic line/Home Made Doors/Custom Adjustable Seats/Custom Oh Crap bar for passenger/Tonneau Cover/Fat Max storage Box in bed
Tiger Tail Towing system
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 07:46 AM
Jounior Member

In North Dakota they are legal on county roads and state hiways licenced as utv's but not in towns. They are overlooked in most towns unless you are doing something stupid.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 04:30 PM

You guys that are street legal are very lucky. I guarantee you that Alabama would never legalize sxs. We have no vehicle inspection, and i see vehicles on a daily basis in my rural area that have no business on public hiways and my prowler could prob out run. Go figure.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!

07 Prowler 650 H1 XT
3000lb. Warn winch
2" lift by Highlifter
30" Silverbacks on 14" SS112's
FMF Powercore exhaust
Dynatech CDI box
rejetted with Jets R Us OEM jets
stage 1&2 by ///AIRDAM
clocked secondary to B3
19 gram rollers (red)
2" snorkel by me
chrome skull shifter
LED tail lights in bed by me
fog lights
roof
custom doors by me
custom removable rear cage by me & friends
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 06:34 PM

When SxS first came out,here in Canada,they tryed too have them legal for secondary-roads " speed limites of less than 50 mph , but two provinces turned it down...I live in one of them !! Nova Scotia !Anyway... it would be nice to be able to run in the woods and come out and hit the road !!I don't think I would be too thrilled to drive in a town ,but on back "dirt" roads, It would be nice at times....keep up on trying to get side by side's street legal..someday it will happen and well will be ready for it . Right now I am makeing a rear bumper with tail/brake and turn lights made in it also !!Another week or soo and I will be done and I will post pics of it !!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 06:54 PM

A sheriff dep. told me last week that if I put a slow moving vec. sign on the rear and drove under 25 mph ( the top speed for S.M.V. ) I would be ok.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Howdy from Texas!!

We too, have many areas where common sense is part of our law enforcement community, and there are no problems.

My goal is to create a way that the legal statute will simply be the law, regardless of who is tasked with being the enforcer.

Thank y'all so much for your responses, and keep my idea in your mind.
I am ready to scrap a bit, even with Texas DMV, or DPS.

I hope that each and every one of you have a wonderful new year.

Howdy from Texas. Drop in anytime y'all feel like getting out and playing. I am always up for anything.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement