Canadian Rockies newbie - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Yyc
Jounior Member

Canadian Rockies newbie

Hi - newish to ATVs, brand new to SxS and new to Arctic Cat - 2010 Prowler XTX, have had it for a few days now, including one day of muddy trails which was great fun (the seatbelt rubber covers aside... Looking forward to learning more about suggested and recommended mods, tips and tricks for these units. After reading the piece in the manual about 'keep water below floorboards' I'm thinking a snorkel may be handy, and as we will be plowing snow it may also be handy to stiffen the front end, but as mentioned earlier I'm still trying to figure out what is needed vice what is a purely shiny addition.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Cool

welcome aboard Yyc,you will learn everything you need to know on here.enjoy the site,lot of great people............

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Loyal Member

Welcome aboard. Your name YYC or CYYC is the identifier for the Calgary/Alberta Intl. Airport. Spent a lot of time in and out of there. You work in the airline industry?

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 12:28 PM

I have the same wheeler and I Highly recommend a snorkel, the floor board rule definitely applies if you are in water or mud. The cvt vent is just way to low to be playing in the mud and these things are very easy to snorkel at home, cost me about 50 bucks for suplies and a few hours of tinkering to make it look good. another mod I consider is the rear diff vent mod, it requires drilling a hole and putting a fitting and catch can on but a must if you plan on doing any dirt road cruising at speeds, for some reason the diffs built pressure and tend to blow out seals without a bit of relief. I cruise a lot of groomed trials and I had a problem with this. as well, check the rubber intake boot (thats the one between the throttle body and intake manifold) if you don't have the updated boot it will almost certainly crack, it's happened to almost every xtx owner I have talked with. you can tell the updated boot by it having one big metal clamp, the old one has two pipe clamps I believe the old part # ends with 669 and the new one is 668. Mine just cracked this past weekend so for the sake of a 20 dollar part it would be worth it just to install the updated part.

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Yyc
Jounior Member

Hi Flying121 - YYC is my home airport (I travel a fair bit for work). In hindsight I should have used CYBW as an identifier
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Loyal Member

Wecome to the forum,plenty of great people here.

2009 Prowler 700 XTX Walker Evans Shocks,STI Roctane 27/9/14 and 27/11/14 tires,Warn skid plates,Ridgid Ind Prerunner Cage,Home made spare tire carrier,Hids high and low beams,1.5 inch wheel spacers,E Brake Alarm, Rear diff vent mod Etc. NO TURF SAVER!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Yyc
Jounior Member

Excellent advice - thanks! Our mud-venture was great fun, so the snorkel is a good idea. Other than the occasional trip in the mud it will get a fair bit of use around the neighborhood, so should check the other suggestions as well.
I need to explore the unit and the forum and find the instructions - another fun evening hobby!

Cheers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostxProwler View Post
I have the same wheeler and I Highly recommend a snorkel, the floor board rule definitely applies if you are in water or mud. The cvt vent is just way to low to be playing in the mud and these things are very easy to snorkel at home, cost me about 50 bucks for suplies and a few hours of tinkering to make it look good. another mod I consider is the rear diff vent mod, it requires drilling a hole and putting a fitting and catch can on but a must if you plan on doing any dirt road cruising at speeds, for some reason the diffs built pressure and tend to blow out seals without a bit of relief. I cruise a lot of groomed trials and I had a problem with this. as well, check the rubber intake boot (thats the one between the throttle body and intake manifold) if you don't have the updated boot it will almost certainly crack, it's happened to almost every xtx owner I have talked with. you can tell the updated boot by it having one big metal clamp, the old one has two pipe clamps I believe the old part # ends with 669 and the new one is 668. Mine just cracked this past weekend so for the sake of a 20 dollar part it would be worth it just to install the updated part.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yyc View Post
Hi Flying121 - YYC is my home airport (I travel a fair bit for work). In hindsight I should have used CYBW as an identifier
You fly out of Springbank? They have some short runways. I have been in and out of at least 50 different airports in Canada but I have never been to that one. I was just up in Masset and Port Hardy a few weeks ago. Beautiful flying up there. i have some friends that live in Kamloops. They come to AZ every winter to dirt bike.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying121 View Post
You fly out of Springbank? They have some short runways. I have been in and out of at least 50 different airports in Canada but I have never been to that one. I was just up in Masset and Port Hardy a few weeks ago. Beautiful flying up there. i have some friends that live in Kamloops. They come to AZ every winter to dirt bike.
Cool! I used to travel to the Charlottes quite a bit for work. Did you get to check any of the sights out while you were there? or get to queen charlotte city? amazing country up there!

2010 700XTX Orange -- Custom snorkel, Diff. vent mod (dry cavity), Bighorn 2.0's on custom painted "blacked out" rims, HMF Swamp Series XL with turn down, /// airdam stage 5, Some EPI goodies, Dynatek FS, Chrome headlight covers, Flip out windshield. "Cooler Hauler" ... Sold for another toy but still hangin around
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostxProwler View Post
Cool! I used to travel to the Charlottes quite a bit for work. Did you get to check any of the sights out while you were there? or get to queen charlotte city? amazing country up there!
That's the bad part about my job. I go to some of the most beautiful places in the world and I am there for as little as 10 hours and then back out the next morning. I did get a day in Masset and was hanging out talking to some of the local fisherman. We had fish and chips at this bait and tackle shop and I have to say it was by far the best I have ever had. The food! That's the best part of my job as there is always time to try the local food.

As for the Queen Charlotte Islands....I have been to Prince Rupert once. I fly over the Queen Charlotte sound almost every week though. Here is an iphone pic from a few weeks ago. I know the picture is not the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1712.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	3137  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement