Arctic Cat Prowler Buyer Beware - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Arctic Cat Prowler Buyer Beware

I purchased a new Arctic Cat Prowler 1000 UTV at the first of the year as I wanted to be one of the first to own one of the most powerful UTVs on the market. I bought in on all the propaganda from the manufacturer, followed BiPolar Racing in their win of the UTV Class of the Baja 1000 and read the great article in UTV Offroad Magazine regarding the release of the Arctic Cat Prowler 1000. I knew I had to have one.

I purchased my Prowler from Prestige Motorsports in Temecula, CA. and was anxious to receive delivery. During the checkout of the UTV we noted a leak in the coolant system. The mechanic at Prestige located an improperly installed O Ring. A quick fix and I was off to test my new “Prized Possession” at Ocotillo Wells located in the desert of Southern California. During the first run (less than 2 miles) I noticed seepage of differential fluid at the inner joint of the left CV at the rear differential. Needless to say that I did not want to ruin my new toy on its maiden voyage so we packed up and headed back home.

I contacted my dealer and explained what I had encountered. I was told that a seal was not properly seated and that I should take a rubber mallet and tap around the metal flange at the CV Joint to press it against the differential.

My next run was to the wonderful world of sand at Glamis. The Prowler ate up everything Glamis, and other UTV owners in our group were able to throw at me. On our third day, we were preparing for our morning ride when I was doing my pre-ride check and once again I noted oil from both sides of the differential leaking severly. Additionally I saw that the Plastic Intake Tube (which my dealer explained was used to bring in cool air for the clutch) was melted onto the parking brake disc located on the rear drive shaft. Further we noted that the Parking Brake Disc was scoured. Once again, our trip was cut short and I drove directly to the dealer with ONLY 200 MILES on the Prowler.

At the dealership, I was told that they had seen the tube melt previously on another Prowler and on that one the owner had left the parking brake on and that even leaving it on one or two clicks would engage the brake. It should be noted that there is an idiot light on the dash to indicate when the parking brake is left on. Mike from Prestige Motorsports and I checked my Prowler and saw that the Idiot Light did not illuminate until the parking break handle reached the third click. We then checked no less than three other Prowlers he had in stock and saw that the light varied in its actuation from 3 to 4 clicks.

We contacted Arctic Cat regarding the leaking differential and the issue we encountered with the parking brake. Arctic Cat had no problem paying to replace the differential seals but would not pay any portion of the Parking Brake repair.

With only 200 miles on my Prowler, I am somewhat anxious about what I will encounter during my next 200 miles.

Arctic Cat should concentrate less on its Marketing and more on it’s design, quality control and Customer Service if it wants to be a true contender in the UTV market.

Until they do so, maybe the readers should hold out for Yamaha’s new 900

Please feel free to contact me if you would like any further information.

Dave Catron
42526 Vancouver Place
Murrieta, CA., 92562
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 02:04 PM
cnj
Jounior Member

The XTZs certainly seem to be having their share of issues (over heating, axles popping out, leaking differentials). Let's hope AC steps up to the plate quickly with some revised engineering and customer support. I plan to upgrade from my 650 XT next year.....hopefully it will be to another AC.

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000
Fusion Off-Road Motorsports 2 seat cage
HCR +6 Long Travel w/King 2.0 shocks
Custom seat lowering by Prestige Motorsports
Neri Style SRD II seats
Prestige doors
Autometer water temp and volt gauges
Dirtlights hi-beam HID replacements
LED aux lights
LED tail/brake lights
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Lifetime Member

Well allot of people will say first year problems ect...

But I kind of agree that Arctic Cat should be more enthusiastic to help fix any issue a customer is having in the first 500 miles or more maybe.

The bright side of this is, Once the guys on here get their problems fixed they are happy with their purchase. After the repairs, down time, and hassle. you are going to have a great machine there once the bugs are worked out.

Keep us posted on your fixes, I am sure Mike at Prestige is bummed about your issues also.

http://utvweekly.com/index.php/2009/11/ricks-arctic-cat-prowler-1000/

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Jounior Member

Having sold my 2004 Rhino last Monday I sure hope I'm as pleased with my XTZ as I was with my 1st year Rhino. I only have 20 miles on it so far, been waiting for the snow all to melt around my vacation home. I spotted this Moose last week on my upper 40.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

I am sure I will feel better about the Prowler once all the bugs are fixed. The only issue I have is why should we the consumer have to pay for Arctic Cat's poor quality control and engineering faults.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Lifetime Member

It seems like it is the lack of response from Arctic Cat that is bugging customers. We almost need a hot line to ask about problems and report ours of course.

http://utvweekly.com/index.php/2009/11/ricks-arctic-cat-prowler-1000/
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 09:29 AM

in discussing issues with flying121 i almost think the diff leaking and the axles popping out is related. I think the bugs will get worked out. I certainly feel for the guys having issues..we all paid ALOT of cash for these toys,,,heck i coulda bought a rail with a subie motor for almost the same price! hang in there all..we'll get them to own up and fix these issues..Split
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecatron View Post
I purchased a new Arctic Cat Prowler 1000 UTV at the first of the year as I wanted to be one of the first to own one of the most powerful UTVs on the market. I bought in on all the propaganda from the manufacturer, followed BiPolar Racing in their win of the UTV Class of the Baja 1000 and read the great article in UTV Offroad Magazine regarding the release of the Arctic Cat Prowler 1000. I knew I had to have one.

I purchased my Prowler from Prestige Motorsports in Temecula, CA. and was anxious to receive delivery. During the checkout of the UTV we noted a leak in the coolant system. The mechanic at Prestige located an improperly installed O Ring. A quick fix and I was off to test my new “Prized Possession” at Ocotillo Wells located in the desert of Southern California. During the first run (less than 2 miles) I noticed seepage of differential fluid at the inner joint of the left CV at the rear differential. Needless to say that I did not want to ruin my new toy on its maiden voyage so we packed up and headed back home.

I contacted my dealer and explained what I had encountered. I was told that a seal was not properly seated and that I should take a rubber mallet and tap around the metal flange at the CV Joint to press it against the differential.

My next run was to the wonderful world of sand at Glamis. The Prowler ate up everything Glamis, and other UTV owners in our group were able to throw at me. On our third day, we were preparing for our morning ride when I was doing my pre-ride check and once again I noted oil from both sides of the differential leaking severly. Additionally I saw that the Plastic Intake Tube (which my dealer explained was used to bring in cool air for the clutch) was melted onto the parking brake disc located on the rear drive shaft. Further we noted that the Parking Brake Disc was scoured. Once again, our trip was cut short and I drove directly to the dealer with ONLY 200 MILES on the Prowler.

At the dealership, I was told that they had seen the tube melt previously on another Prowler and on that one the owner had left the parking brake on and that even leaving it on one or two clicks would engage the brake. It should be noted that there is an idiot light on the dash to indicate when the parking brake is left on. Mike from Prestige Motorsports and I checked my Prowler and saw that the Idiot Light did not illuminate until the parking break handle reached the third click. We then checked no less than three other Prowlers he had in stock and saw that the light varied in its actuation from 3 to 4 clicks.

We contacted Arctic Cat regarding the leaking differential and the issue we encountered with the parking brake. Arctic Cat had no problem paying to replace the differential seals but would not pay any portion of the Parking Brake repair.

With only 200 miles on my Prowler, I am somewhat anxious about what I will encounter during my next 200 miles.

Arctic Cat should concentrate less on its Marketing and more on it’s design, quality control and Customer Service if it wants to be a true contender in the UTV market.

Until they do so, maybe the readers should hold out for Yamaha’s new 900

Please feel free to contact me if you would like any further information.

Dave Catron
42526 Vancouver Place
Murrieta, CA., 92562
I "stumbled" across the email address of Christopher A Towmey, the CEO of Arctic Cat. Needless to say, I did send him an email explaining the issues I had been encountering and some of the issues I have also heard about.

Like all other Arctic Cat personnel, I am sure he will not respond by email or telephone.

Just in case anyone else wants the email address it is [email protected]
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:09 PM

3 days for me and still no call back ........... they all must be on a early vacation

623-934-3070
Please understand we support many forums and cant keep up with Private messages or questions on the forum boards so
If you have a question Please Call the Retail Shop 623-934-3070
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:08 PM

Well, I don't know about you guys but anything I ever bought in its first year of production had its bugs. I figure that's what we have to sacrifice to have the hottest sxs on the planet. Oh ya, I have about 150 miles on mine and i noticed that the coolant reservoir is a little low on fluid. That sucks but I will get it figured out.I still love it and everybody around here has ceased on all performance upgrades to their Whinos , and rzr's cause they have seen what the XTZ can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement