Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Dead Horse WI

4K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Firecat 
#1 ·
Did the Dead Horse trail in Wisconsin 5/12/18

It ranks at or near the top of the Wisconsin trail systems that I have been on. (Hatfield,Hurley, Tomahawk,Merrill) It's fun system to ride. Not the mud fest it has a reputation for but your going to get dirty. Hopefully the Forest service doesn't mess with it anymore. They dumped rock/gravel on a section of trail and that part is miserable. Rough and no fun, like driving down a crappy gravel road. The trail system has water but some of the water spots were dry or close to dry. Lot's of rocks and bumps the prowler's skid plate took a beating. Did a little damage to the front bumper support and side plate, but it's off roading. The trail system had just opened to lots of downfall on the trail. The large logs had been cut and cleared but had to drive around or through the smaller stuff. Not sure why but we only saw one other group once we got into the system. Saw a few other riders around the gas station and bars. Not sure why but I'm not complaining either.

Bring extra GAS as the south end of the system doesn't have gas. It's on some maps but it's out of business. We got far worse MPG's then normal, plan accordingly. You are miles from Gas, help and pavement. To get gas on the south end requires a 11mi drive one way on old railroad trail. Wendy & Joes Steakhouse is excellent however. Also section 11 was closed. Looks to be a fun section too. You have to take a forest road to get back on the DH.

Clam lake has a really nice gas station and the far north end of the trail is probably the most fun. So don't skip it, because it doesn't loop.

See less See more
#2 ·
We have done the Black River Fall's trails, That was rougher than 80 grit on yer ass! Might have to try Dead Horse, sometime. sounds like a good time!

#3 ·
So I finally get a good look around the machine. Had to put a new starter in. The rocks on the dead horse left some marks on my low riding xtz.

The worst is the front bumper support. I also found some dents to the rear near the hitch and the drivers side metal skid plate and frame that supports it has dents.

Still worth it. Fun place.

#6 ·
stock tire size ? change the rear springs and get the factory saggy springs out of there and you'll gain back the sag and get back to 13-13.5 " clearance

BTW that's just trail rash ... RD will get a bunch of that when he moves to Arizona . damn desert rock gardens there [same as around here the high desert , but I just need to needle RD]

Reactions: Fairmont79
#8 ·
I put 350 pound springs and carry way to much recovery gear and still have 13" [measured on concrete] clearance with the stock 26" size but use Pit Bull Rocker Ubers

#9 ·
Update:

Road the dead horse trail system again last weekend. It's been wet so lots of water, great for keeping the dust down. Not much if anything changed with the trails since last year. Mudding and wet but very few spots required 4x4 and I didn't damage the machine this time. I was a little more carefuly around the boulders:eek: The other SXS was a 2018 Havoc X. Pretty impressed the with the suspension (king shocks). Big setup up from a 7 yr old prowler. Worth trading my XTZ and writing a fat check, not for how little I get to trail ride.

Fuel economy and range of the Havoc x and Prowler xtz is nearly identical.

#10 ·
Hard to beat that logic! I'm staying with my Prowler for now!

#11 ·
We just did a huge trail ride event in Wisconsin a month ago. Out of 97 SXS's, there wasn't a single Havoc. Only thing close was a 4 seat Bad Boy, but it got hammered crossing a creek, was too long and too low. I would like to see the Havocs in action. Textron missed the boat so far on getting a die hard following. I would sell the Prowler and RZR to combine both into one SXS that can do it all. The Generals Deluxe Ride Command is probably the closest to getting it right, for $24,000. (uh.... no) The Havoc just has no following yet. But, the price is right! 13,900 for a brand new one, ain't bad!
Dead Horse.... we are looking for a place to go in November. I'm gonna look at that! Thanks for reminding me!

#12 ·
Some of the left overs 18 Havoc's have been selling for $12-12.5 recently. The 4-6 seater machines are way to long! The General is a nice looking ride but I'm not super impressed with them given the price. Google reverse chain issues on the general.

#13 ·
I get the bug to buy new, then the sticker shock sets in! My Prowler does just fine!

#14 ·
I might have to take something for sticker shock to get over it. Anti nausea pills perhaps. The Prowler sold last week.

I was pretty frustrated with the machine at first, mostly due to fixing a few problems I didn't know about when I got it. It turned out to be a great UTV. It did great on the trails for a Utility machine, was reliable and very capable.

#15 ·
So did you buy the Havoc? I gotta know, I just gotta know!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.