What to do???? - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Off-Topic Discussions Sit back and relax with your fellow members.
Please note, post count does not increment in this forum.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
What to do????

So I've owned my 14 Prowler 700 HDX for 2 years now and have been very happy. My taste however is starting to change now that I have owned a side by side for a little while now and I am thinking about switching it up. My question to those of you who have owned different makes, models, and types. Is there a big difference to how the HDX rides and performs versus say the Wildcat Sport or Trail? It seems as though the HDX is like a tank. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Charlie
Cape Coral, FL
2014 Prowler 700 HDX Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:06 PM
Loyal Member

what's your size .. if your a "normal sized guy" like me then fit is an issue ...... I just don't fit in one of the cute lil guys

most the sports don't have any room in the "trunk/bed" for stuff , so if it a working rig or a camp out rig might pay close attention to that.

SOME of them are wide and won't fit through the forest service gates/poles if that something they do in your state.

the real short ones are limited to how much angle they can climb [angle] with out help holding the fronts down , but that is true with most all of them. BTW I was in a place two days ago in the desert that the descent was so steep I had to give it a bunch of gas to roll the front forward and beat the rear tires from coming on over .

they do have better shocks than the utility models [by far]

many have 15 " rims I believe [a good thing IMHO]

many have power steering now

RZR's are a dime a dozen and not the best for parts [but neither are ours] or break down issues .... I've pulled several out of bad spots more than I would have thought.

do your shopping with the try them on idea first , maybe a test run in real world , some shops will take you out in them.

good luck many choices now.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I do not use mine for work, only to pull my trailer out from beside the house. Most of my riding is on private land, however there are a few places that I'd like to go that do not allow the wider vehicles. My type of riding is mostly mud in the hot and humid summer times down here in Florida. What sparked my interest was a Polaris RZR this weekend ripping up the area where we were riding. It looked like a lot of fun and then there is the HDX. Do you know if the Polaris models are any quieter or the Wildcat?

Charlie
Cape Coral, FL

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:29 PM
Loyal Member

IMHO the RZR's are loud and obnoxious , but that's me others [read younger guys] like them that way and add aftermarket exhaust that are even louder

I'd like to use the mufflers as a ladder to step up and inspect the roof or frames with those ones ... of course that might bend them down to restrict them

can't speak to the Wildcat as I have never been around one yet but it's a sport and most of them are louder

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us

Last edited by GTroyer; 02-10-2017 at 05:50 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The argument my wife makes is the room our Prowler offers versus the sport bikes. And of course when I go riding with the guys, my back turns into the cooler and firewood hauler. Is there a modification that I could do to the Prowler that would provide better throttle response off the line? Such as when going through the mud. I'm looking to put 28" tires on it if I keep it.

Charlie
Cape Coral, FL
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCProwlerhdx View Post
So I've owned my 14 Prowler 700 HDX for 2 years now and have been very happy. My taste however is starting to change now that I have owned a side by side for a little while now and I am thinking about switching it up. My question to those of you who have owned different makes, models, and types. Is there a big difference to how the HDX rides and performs versus say the Wildcat Sport or Trail? It seems as though the HDX is like a tank. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Hmmmmm. This seems oddly familiar....

Ron

2011 HDX 700 (sold) - CoolFlo windshield, brush guard, Warn winch, hard top, Clarion CD player, amp, Kicker speaker bar, AC rear view mirror, AC storage bag, auxiliary battery with crossover, GBC Grim Reapers.
2007 Suzuki Eiger
2017 CFMoto Zforce 800EX
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockman View Post
Hmmmmm. This seems oddly familiar....

LOL. You started it. I've been thinking about it for a while, just hard to pull the trigger.

Charlie
Cape Coral, FL
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCProwlerhdx View Post
The argument my wife makes is the room our Prowler offers versus the sport bikes. And of course when I go riding with the guys, my back turns into the cooler and firewood hauler. Is there a modification that I could do to the Prowler that would provide better throttle response off the line? Such as when going through the mud. I'm looking to put 28" tires on it if I keep it.
Best bang for the buck is a quality clutch kit! Clutch mods far outweigh anything else you can do to a stock motor machine! 28" tires and mud really show what type of clutch is needed. I use strictly EPI stuff, but other kits are available. The EPI staff can give you guidance on what you need!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont79 View Post
Best bang for the buck is a quality clutch kit! Clutch mods far outweigh anything else you can do to a stock motor machine! 28" tires and mud really show what type of clutch is needed. I use strictly EPI stuff, but other kits are available. The EPI staff can give you guidance on what you need!

Never having a side by side before or riding on a bike with a modified clutch. What type of gain could I see in the way of low end torque?

Charlie
Cape Coral, FL
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 04:24 AM
Administrator

Depends on the kit! The mudder kit with larger than stock tires will really wake up the bottom end! Higher stall wet clutch springs, and light weight rollers make it happen! Downside on the CVT's is that anything you add to the bottom end, takes away from the top end! Arctic Cat makes a trac kit for next to nothing that adds bottom end performance. It consists of a primary clutch spacer, and light weight rollers. This may be what you are looking for! Cheap modification, and you can return to stock with little work involved! I checked the part number for your HDX, and you have the lightest roller that AC lists. RED 19 gram roller #0823-164. You would only need the spacer!
CLUTCH INFO

red rollers = 19 grams = 6000RPM AC # 0823-164
blue rollers = 21 grams = 5500RPM AC # 0823-167
green rollers = 23 grams = 5000RPM AC # 0823-170
white rollers = 25 grams - 4500RPM AC # 3402-483
grey rollers 28 grams - AC # 0823-295
black rollers 33 grams AC # 0823-298

17 gram roller - white - 02/375 - 03+400 - part number: 3402-366
19 gram roller - red - prowler 09+700 - part number: 0823-164
21 gram roller - blue - various H1 engines - part number: 0823-167
23 gram roller - green - Tcat engines - part number: 0823-170
25 gram roller - white - 06+ 500 - part number: 3402-482
25 gram roller - white - 00- 09 500 - part number: 3402-483
28 gram roller - gray - 10/650MP - 11+700mp - 12 WildCat - part number: 0823-295
33 gram roller - black - 10+ Tcat mudpro - part number: 0823-298

These RPM numbers associated with each set of weights is only a close guess. every machine will respond differently depending on altitude, tire size, and power adders. the more power you have, the heavier roller you can run for a faster upshift, and more RPMs. if i were you with that power you have, i would run the reds at the LEAST, and possibly even lighten up a set to get them even lighter. in the dunes to run ballz out, about 17-18 grams is where an H1 motor needs to be, and my stage 2 fixed plate work even helps the shiftout even more. it helps keep the rollers lower in the shiftout range, keeping you in a lower gear longer, but allowing you to build the RPMs you need for power, which allows the engine to rev into the power band, and not upshift too fast and bog the motor down.

C-1 is 34 degrees of preload on the spring so yeah its a little more than the others here is a graph to show it all to you

with the helix facing upwards, you turn the top movable sheave clockwise, tightening the spring up giving the spring a pre-load to snap the clutch closed.

the A,B,C settings are incremental in 1,2,3,4 hole positions on the helix itself. meaning if you leave the spring in the

B position and put it in the

#1 hole you twist the sheave 16 degrees to line the helix up with the shoe
#2 hole you twist the sheave 38 degrees to line the helix up with the shoe
#3 hole you twist the sheave 70 degrees to line the helix up with the shoe
#4 hole you twist the sheave 92 degrees to line the helix up with the shoe

A position and put it in the

#1 hole you twist the sheave 25 degrees to line the helix up with the shoe
#2 hole you twist the sheave 58 degrees to line the helix up with the shoe
#3 hole you twist the sheave 88 degrees to line the helix up with the shoe
#4 hole you twist the sheave 106 degrees to line the helix up with the shoe (almost impossible to get it around to line up spring is too stiff)

C position and put it in the

#1 hole you twist the sheave 34 degrees to line the helix up with the shoe
#2 hole you twist the sheave 69 degrees to line the helix up with the shoe
#3 hole you twist the sheave 93 degrees to line the helix up with the shoe
#4 hole you twist the sheave 120+ degrees to line the helix up with the shoe (couldn't get it around there so i am only guessing)

so every time you go up a hole, you are adding more twist to the spring, increasing the spring rate which gives you a faster and snappier backshift. i wish i had a spring load device that would allow me to clock the spring giving it more twist and compress it at the same time to see the increase in spring rate but i do not have that ability. for anyone who has dealt with their own clutch you will know that B-4 is SUPER hard to twist the sheave around and get lined up to, because it is super hard to reach. you can see by the degree of twist on the spring, you can calculate what rate would give you the correct spring tension you want. obviously B-1 is the softest setting you can have, and they go up from there. i'll try and make a list of the softest setting to the stiffest setting for you guys just curious.

B-1 -- 16 degrees
A-1 -- 25 degrees
C-1 -- 34 degrees
B-2 -- 38 degrees
A-2 -- 58 degrees
C-2 -- 69 degrees
B-3 -- 70 degrees
A-3 -- 88 degrees
B-4 -- 92 degrees
C-3 -- 93 degrees
A-4 -- 106 degrees
C-4 -- 120+ degrees
Retired1 likes this.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement