Time to buy a generator - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Off-Topic Discussions Sit back and relax with your fellow members.
Please note, post count does not increment in this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Time to buy a generator

Well we just had 2in of snow in 3 hours. Apparently that more than our local electric company can withstand. We've been without power for 6 hours and may not have power for another day or so. This is ridiculous. Any suggestions on a good generator that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I need one that can run a well pump, fridge, and a couple lights. And too make things worse my buddies that have power are going riding tonight! Dammit!

08 650xt
Big Bore Kit
Speedwerx Exhaust
1.5: Snorkels
Dyna FS Ignition
AMR Monster Coil
Highlifter 2in Lift
Highlifter 1in Wheelspacers
Custom Roll Cage
Trail Armor Doors
Intellitronix Oil, Temp, and Volt Gauges
RickTheRocket UHMW Bushings all around
Superwinch Terra 3500
Papa Slap Stage 3 Clutching with Fix Plate Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 03:39 AM
Administrator

Harbor Freight has units priced between 329 (4000 WATT) to 499 (6500 WATT), not sure about store locations near your location.

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 06:16 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Daryle if your wanting something cheap priced harbor freight.I seen where walmart had generators also.I would hate to buy one there.

2015 A/C Sport,With a few add ons..........

Last edited by de3; 01-18-2013 at 06:27 AM.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryle_TN View Post
Well we just had 2in of snow in 3 hours. Apparently that more than our local electric company can withstand. We've been without power for 6 hours and may not have power for another day or so. This is ridiculous. Any suggestions on a good generator that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I need one that can run a well pump, fridge, and a couple lights. And too make things worse my buddies that have power are going riding tonight! Dammit!
Understand where you are, mine was out for 9 days in '97 due to flood around here.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions... I'm going to have to do some research. My biggest concern is my well. I have no idea how much juice it takes to fire one up. Like my dad use to say "Damn I wish I would have been born rich instead of good lookin!".

08 650xt
Big Bore Kit
Speedwerx Exhaust
1.5: Snorkels
Dyna FS Ignition
AMR Monster Coil
Highlifter 2in Lift
Highlifter 1in Wheelspacers
Custom Roll Cage
Trail Armor Doors
Intellitronix Oil, Temp, and Volt Gauges
RickTheRocket UHMW Bushings all around
Superwinch Terra 3500
Papa Slap Stage 3 Clutching with Fix Plate Mod
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 07:13 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryle_TN View Post
Thanks for the suggestions... I'm going to have to do some research. My biggest concern is my well. I have no idea how much juice it takes to fire one up. Like my dad use to say "Damn I wish I would have been born rich instead of good lookin!".
Daryle,is your well pump 220 volts.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 07:39 AM
Loyal Member

IMHO ....
buy as large as you can afford , never enough power when it's out .

Go listen to the demo model first .. if they don't fire it up for you pass ... unless you can put it way away from the house in a covered shelter ... most are so noisy you don't want it close as it will drive ya nuts . many Honda's are an exception to the noise issue.

buy very heavy duty extension cords to run power where ya need or invest in a switch to install at the power panel so you can plug in there and switch off the line feed .. you DO NOT WANT to back feed the system cause you'll harm/kill a service man down stream.

mine is a 6500 watt generic [i'd never buy one of those noisy thing again VERY LOUD] .. it powers the 575' deep well with a 2 horse 220v. submersible pump , and several circuits in the house .. fridge, freezer and some outlets easily .

we have been without power for many days many times and had to run this for hours on end .. ya learn you can cycle it though .. 4 or 5 hrs. to get temps back down in the cold boxes [full freezer will hold temp a long time if doors are not opened much, empty freezer won't hold temps very long] on and 6hrs. off ..

I also have a 2000 watt Honda .. wow what a nice lil generator that is, you can actually put it within a foot of you and still carry on conversation .. I use it on a front porch and power lights inside with cords so I don't have to listen to the Generac [except to power up the well or freezer/fridg on and off cycle]

hope that lil info helps

BTW the above is at my place in Twain Heart , Ca. at 4000 ft. mountains close to Yosemite Nat. Park ... heavy forrest ,very rural and antiquated power grid .. any storm could nock power offline for days .. and bark beetle killed trees often fall and take out power when the snow gets to them..
In Coeur d'Alene, Idaho I rarely loose power and have a 5500 watt generator I have to start and run a couple times a year just to run it and keep it with fresh gas .. go figure with much much more snow and ma nature to contend with.

name is Gary or hey you if ya forget

2009 Prowler XTZ , couple things added here and there
'83 CJ7 / SBC + whole lot added here and there
'01 Dodge / Cummins / Dually, a ton of stuff added here and there

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE NEWBIES ...
1. Bring in a good load of firewood for the pit
2. start the morning coffee , strong but not burnt / boiled down , IMPORTANT start it early as many of us old farts get up early !!
3. sit a spell and swap some lies with the best of us

Last edited by GTroyer; 01-18-2013 at 07:47 AM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Volt X's Amp will tell you how many Watts your well uses, I, thinking about 2400 for the well, 1000 for the fridge, and lighting 1000. I run my whole house on 8500 Watts, Everything but Air Conditioning, and Clothes Drier. Well, Freezer, Refridgerator, 2 Furnaces, and at least 1 light and recepticle in every room. And like Gary, we very seldom lose power! I installed when we built as I couldn't get power when we started to build!

2009 700EFI XTX, , AC Winch, 2010 Dust Shield EPI Sport Utility Clutch Kit , Street Legal, Cage chopped 2 ", Aluminum Diamond Plate Trim, Relocated Factory Bladders with covers, 5 Pt. Harness installed, Bed Tiedown System, Scat Pro-Car Seats, Secondary Battery installed, Oil Pressure, Oil/CVT Temperature, Volt Meter & Water Temp Gauges installed with Dash Plate, Bighorns, ITP Black 212 Wheels. Tonneau cover. 750 Big Bore Kit, Web Cam, and Rocker Arms.

Either - Dick or RD
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 08:43 AM
de3
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTroyer View Post
IMHO ....
buy as large as you can afford , never enough power when it's out .

Go listen to the demo model first .. if they don't fire it up for you pass ... unless you can put it way away from the house in a covered shelter ... most are so noisy you don't want it close as it will drive ya nuts . many Honda's are an exception to the noise issue.

buy very heavy duty extension cords to run power where ya need or invest in a switch to install at the power panel so you can plug in there and switch off the line feed .. you DO NOT WANT to back feed the system cause you'll harm/kill a service man down stream.

mine is a 6500 watt generic [i'd never buy one of those noisy thing again VERY LOUD] .. it powers the 575' deep well with a 2 horse 220v. submersible pump , and several circuits in the house .. fridge, freezer and some outlets easily .

we have been without power for many days many times and had to run this for hours on end .. ya learn you can cycle it though .. 4 or 5 hrs. to get temps back down in the cold boxes [full freezer will hold temp a long time if doors are not opened much, empty freezer won't hold temps very long] on and 6hrs. off ..

I also have a 2000 watt Honda .. wow what a nice lil generator that is, you can actually put it within a foot of you and still carry on conversation .. I use it on a front porch and power lights inside with cords so I don't have to listen to the Generac [except to power up the well or freezer/fridg on and off cycle]

hope that lil info helps

BTW the above is at my place in Twain Heart , Ca. at 4000 ft. mountains close to Yosemite Nat. Park ... heavy forrest ,very rural and antiquated power grid .. any storm could nock power offline for days .. and bark beetle killed trees often fall and take out power when the snow gets to them..
In Coeur d'Alene, Idaho I rarely loose power and have a 5500 watt generator I have to start and run a couple times a year just to run it and keep it with fresh gas .. go figure with much much more snow and ma nature to contend with.
I you what you mean Gary,cant beat a honda very costly.i have a 1000 watt inverter thats 14 years old i use it at the camp hours unknown.last june bought a honda 6500 watt inverter and had the breaker box wired up for it,its as quiet as my 1000 watt honda. wife didnt want nothing loud.just another toy.i can run my central air but that only,after it starts i can run lights.when air kicks off i can run whole house and garage.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:34 PM

Daryle i picked one up yesterday at northern tool in johnson city best price i found for one for my needs, Turns out we didn't need it but ready for next time,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement