SDHQ Rhino get a double lung transplant - Arctic Cat Prowler Forums: Prowler UTV Forum
Other UTV Discussions Discuss other UTVs here.
ie, Kwasaki Teryx, Yamaha Rhino, Polaris Ranger, Polaris RZR, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

SDHQ Rhino get a double lung transplant

After bending all the valves in my 760 Weller Rhino motor (twice) at KOH I decided to start over. Now that BITD, KOH and several other race series have opened up the rules to motor swaps I am going with a Rotax.

New motor plans are in the works.

I found a Can-am 800 motor core out of an '07 Renegade quad. It had about 500 miles on it and spun a rod bearing. It's a common problem if they ingest some water or dirt. I got it cheap and it's an easy fix.

Next I found the tranny out of an '07 650 Outlander quad. The 650 has a lower high gear and the same low gear as the 800 and the new 1000. The lower high gear is only about 3-5 mph slower in the flat out speeds but should give me a little better pull out the hole in the tight tree racing and KOH style crawling.

Now its time to turn it all up a little. The stock Rhino motor is 23 hp. My Weller race motor was 54 hp. I am shooting for 95-100 with the Rotax.

This is how I am getting it done.
STM stage 8 clutches, primary and secondary
Tune Monster ECM with fuel, spark, fan, and O2 sensor controls
Mr. RPM big bore kit
Ported and polished heads
4.5 mm oversized intake valves
2 mm oversized exhaust valves
Gorilla rods
New timing chains and shoes
Race intake
Gen 2 cams
51 mm throttle body
300m throw shaft
13:1 Flat top pistons
oil filter adapter
double valve springs
Titanium retainers

Of course the motor and dash harnesses will have to be reworked, new motor mounts and the list goes on and on. But thats what we all love to do.

The motor is built and I am just waiting on the intake to come back form casting and machining.

Various other parts to get the system working right will include

2- Walbro 255 pumps
2- Metric thread to #6-AN Conversion kits
2- Walbro in-tank pickups
1- Walbro in-tank pickup with bleed hole
3- #6 shut off valves
1- Pre pump filter
1- Post pump filter
1- Regulator
1- Autometer Pro Comp liquid filled mechanical oil pressure gauge
1- Autometer Pro Comp liquid filled mechanical water temp gauge
1- New Fullbore dash
1- Header wrap kit
1- K&N air filter
1- K&N air filter wrap

For exhaust I am using a combination of the Muzzy conversion system and part of my existing system. The two head pipes and the two-into-one-into-two pieces came form Muzzy. I will TIG up the connections to the 2 big FMF PowerCores already in the Rhino.

At this point I've got the old motor out and the floor pan cut out ready for the new motor. Still need to gather a few things but hopefully it should start coming together soon.

Thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00544.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	2184   Click image for larger version

Name:	050411175924.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	2185  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Loyal Member

Your engine choice is a very wise one. Sandchris has proven that motor for many years and has always spoken highly about it. I am pretty sure he has one of the fastest side by sides in the country and it runs that motor.

Just curious about two things.

Why 2 x Walbro 255 lph pumps if your only going to be around 100hp?

Why use a K&N air filter instead of one that actually keeps dirt out of your motor? The K&N definitely flows air but dirt with it and has caused a lot of engine failures over the years.

I know you know your shit about these things if you are anything like your brother so I was just wondering as I am sure you have some good reasoning for it.

2009 Prowler XTZ 1000 with a few modifications. Needs paint & powder coating.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying121 View Post
Your engine choice is a very wise one. Sandchris has proven that motor for many years and has always spoken highly about it. I am pretty sure he has one of the fastest side by sides in the country and it runs that motor.

Just curious about two things.

Why 2 x Walbro 255 lph pumps if your only going to be around 100hp?

Why use a K&N air filter instead of one that actually keeps dirt out of your motor? The K&N definitely flows air but dirt with it and has caused a lot of engine failures over the years.

I know you know your shit about these things if you are anything like your brother so I was just wondering as I am sure you have some good reasoning for it.
The 255s are the same pump I run in several projects. The big KOH car runs them, my supercharged 5.3 runs one. I have spares. I have decided if I am going to pump them both in or just one. Either way only one will ever run at a time and the other is a backup. One runs off the ignition the other is on a switch with valve to prevent back flow. They are very robust pumps, intank or frame rail mount, and I'll only be running it about 20% duty so hopefully I can make it last.

About the air filter. I live in New York. Not to worried about dust for now. As the project progresses I would like to do a little dyno tuning with some UMP can type filters. My tuner (Jannetty Racing) is one of the east coast's biggest Magnacharger developers and LS motor builder. He and his son are very big into the snowmobiles as well. They almost had me talked into a turbo XR1 motor for the Rhino but that would have turned it into strictly a toy and not race legal. Ted is genuinely interested in this project and has offered to help me out with dyno time and testing a few ideas. When only dealing with 100 hp a few hp one way or the other can make a big difference. Once the engine is in I can figure out how much room I have.

Last edited by soazcats lil bro; 05-05-2011 at 08:20 PM.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:15 PM

im gonna get u a Arctic cat steering wheel to put on it so nobody can say WTF this is a AC forum!

I cant wait to run that lil beast ! thanks for keeping us informed
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soazcat View Post
im gonna get u a Arctic cat steering wheel to put on it so nobody can say WTF this is a AC forum!

I cant wait to run that lil beast ! thanks for keeping us informed
Whats the big deal? It's in the "Other UTV discussion" section. Just let me barrow your hood and it will look like Darryl's.

I have not found a Rhino forum I like. The one forum the guys just felt he had to "one-up" my every move so I stopped going there. I figured I'd go where my brother was. I don't mind so much being "one-up" by kin.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soazcats lil bro View Post
The 255s are the same pump I run in several projects. The big KOH car runs them, my supercharged 5.3 runs one. I have spares. I have decided if I am going to pump them both in or just one. Either way only one will ever run at a time and the other is a backup. One runs off the ignition the other is on a switch with valve to prevent back flow. They are very robust pumps, intank or frame rail mount, and I'll only be running it about 20% duty so hopefully I can make it last.

About the air filter. I live in New York. Not to worried about dust for now. As the project progresses I would like to do a little dyno tuning with some UMP can type filters. My tuner (Jannetty Racing) is one of the east coast's biggest Magnacharger developers and LS motor builder. He and his son are very big into the snowmobiles as well. They almost had me talked into a turbo XR1 motor for the Rhino but that would have turned it into strictly a toy and not race legal. Ted is genuinely interested in this project and has offered to help me out with dyno time and testing a few ideas. When only dealing with 100 hp a few hp one way or the other can make a big difference. Once the engine is in I can figure out how much room I have.
Yeah those pumps are great. I ran an in tank 255lph in my 1990 mustang with a built motor and a 150 shot of NOS.

I run an in tank direct replacement Walbro 190lph in my turbo XTZ and it has more than enough fuel and I like it because it pulls less amps (6.5) then the Walbro 255 and my electric system is maxed right now. I understand your reasoning for the backup pump so that's cool. As for the filters the UNI seems to be the best for all the guys that ride in dust and sand. Sandchris showed me a sample of what passes through the K&N versus the UNI and I was amazed. Good luck with your build it looks like a bad ass set up man.

Regards,

Todd

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Rides all the time

Sounds like a nice upgrade. When do you think you will have it complete?
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Loyal Member

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Loyal Member

Did someone mention mustangs?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang.jpg
Views:	1666
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	2186  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Loyal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandchris View Post
Can you get e85 where you live?
Yes I can.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement