Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Projects In Michigan!

18K views 84 replies 10 participants last post by  Fairmont79 
#1 ·
Too damn cold to go out, so I'm tearing my Prowler apart again! Picking my door frames up Saturday, so in between now and then I decided to change my primary battery. I cut an opening in the side panel on the drivers side, building a angle iron frame and plan on putting the battery there. Mine came with the smaller factory battery 360CCA, and I had a new 400CCA sitting on my shelf, so I decided to use it. It will slid in through the new access panel. Getting the old battery out was a pain, take off the wheel well, unfasten the dust shield, pull the cover, slide the battery out! Moved the voltage regulator, so that is also accessible through the new panel. Moving back to the Parking Brake handle, just need to weld the handle bracket to the spreader bar, and hook up the stock parking brake light. This will lock up all 4 wheels when applied. I'll post pictures later today! Just love to post S---! LOL

#3 ·
Finished the parking brake project, just need to paint the braket/spreader bar. Works pretty cool! I'm happy with it. Building the battery box next! I can padlock the parking brake for a anti-theft device, someone will have to work a little now to steal it! Also attached pictures of the access panel and battery location! Still having fun!

Attachments

#5 ·
Turned out pretty good! Much better than the stock pedal, and my pedal started to slip at the end! Click two times and hold, but the brake was never completely set, tried adjusting many times and finally decided to change it! I found the assembly on ebay for 58.00 dollars free shipping! I'm a happy camper now, and it does lock up the brakes! Good thing about it is that it is a 1/2" off the pedal when released, so little chance of it dragging!

#6 ·
I found the assembly on a RZR accessory site, then went on Ebay. Prices went from 58.00 - 130.00 depending on the model!

#7 ·
I believe UTV.INC has them also for the RZR and wildcat....there's was 100 dollars................they were meant so you dont have to use the park on the rzr,the have had a lot of problems with breaking the park pin......

#8 ·
Yes, that was explained to me on a RZR site, my sisters 900 RZR has one, and I really liked how it worked, positive brake that locked the wheels, you won't forget when this one is on! You ain't moving! LOL

#9 ·
nice fab work rd,,,,,,:D:D

#10 ·
Thanks Brian! Hope to finish everything up this week, and then take a breather! Picked up a set of transmission gears, and shafts, going to start putting the spare engine together! This Prowler is here for life! LOL

#11 ·
Back at it, finished my battery tray and hooked everything back up. I had this battery on my shelf, brand new so I thought about swapping it in. This is the same location another member used, so I copied his work! Access panel will bolt on and be made out of aluminum diamond plate. Tray was made out of 1" angle iron. Plug welded in and a support strap bolted on the front. Old battery was 360CCA, new one is 400CCA, both are AGM.

Attachments

#12 ·
Back at it, finished my battery tray and hooked everything back up. I had this battery on my shelf, brand new so I thought about swapping it in. This is the same location another member used, so I copied his work! Access panel will bolt on and be made out of aluminum diamond plate. Tray was made out of 1" angle iron. Plug welded in and a support strap bolted on the front.

#14 ·
Yes on the factory plastic!

#15 ·
Putting my Prowler back together, put an aluminum shield over my coolant lines. The alternator belt was about 3/4" away from the coolant hose, and I was concerned about belt flap hitting the hose. Used .080 aluminum and fastened it to the right front motor mount. Also added a switch for the charging light I installed (Battery was slowly discharging, so I can turn the circuit off when not running). I used the old parking brake handle location for the switch. The extra alternator belt is zip tied the the cross member in case I need a belt on the trail.

Attachments

#17 ·
It was a very slow discharge, more than likely it would take a month to discharge the battery if left unattended. It is my second battery that had the issue. It would drop .2 volts a day.

#18 ·
I left my tender off for 1 week and plugged it back in yesterday and with in 1/2 hour the green light was on,and I keep my Ipod plugged in when I listen to music in the garage,I stream from it to a Bluetooth speaker in the garage.

#19 ·
Only affects my secondary battery, and it is from the alternator install. I should have put a diode in the alternator warning light wire, but the switch will do the same thing.

#20 ·
Putting my Prowler back together now, 2" harness installed, and yes Gary it is much more comfortable! LOL, next is putting the DOT tires back on. Waiting for the State of Michigan to schedule my final inspection (find out more as the process moves forward!), the paperwork has been approved, new VIN issued, now waiting for the state agency to set a date (again, they said agency, but don't know if it is State Police, Secretary of State, or local Sheriffs Department!). I have the doors ready to put on, but waiting on the inspection to be finished before they go on! Sure as Hell they would find fault about my doors! I took the plow off, and switched out the winch cable.

#22 ·
Will do, making another set now, going to use insulated clamps to fasten the aluminum. Trying to speed up the process on making a set! I found a place on the WWW. to buy clamps, I got a box of 50 3/4 ID Clamps for 12.00 dollars!

#23 ·
Finished the parking brake spreader bar, painted and installed! I notched the lower area of the dash to slide the bar in, and it runs right in front of my fire extinguisher, but still allows access to it. Removed the parking brake pedal, and cable then covered the hole in the floor with diamond plate (makes a good foot pad!) Micro switch is for the stock parking brake warning light.

Attachments

#25 ·
looks great rd !!!!!! still waiting to see the doors:D

#26 ·
Then I better get them on! The second/final inspection (street legal) caught me by surprise. I already tore the parking brake off and was mocking things up when I got the letter that the final inspection will be scheduled, so I had to shift gears!

#27 ·
Finished my Scat Seat install, removed the seat sliders and lowered the seats about 1", really like how they feel! I special ordered the grey vinyl for the passenger side seat, wanted to match the driver's side. I used an Extreme Series on Driver's side, Terrain Series on the Passenger side. Now back in the house recovering from this virus! Doors are the only thing left, and that is a Monday Job (Mama just informed me that the garage is off limits until then!)

Attachments

#29 ·
Thanks DE3! Still having fun!

#30 ·
Looks real good, RD! I bet she love's her new seat. You must have decided to send the other back, huh? I love the "Temporary Plate". Found out yesterday that Iowa is looking at legalizing them, now. Hoping to contact my State Rep tomorrow to voice my approval and see how I can be of help to get it done. Back to the seat, (whoops, got off track) did you install it like I did ours? Tight fit, but they look and feel great! Hope ya feel better!

#31 ·
With the price they gave me for the second seat, I had to keep it! Yea the plate does the trick, Still playing with the seat, if I leave it as is, I can pull it like the stockers did (I have a Dynamap fuel controller behind the air filter access on the passenger seat back and periodically I richen/lean the fuel curve). Not a big deal as I hook up my laptop in the garage so just as easy to remove at home. I really like the Extreme, but also want to try the Terrain.

#32 ·
Working on my second set of doors! Skinned them today using insulated clamps! Someone made me an offer on the first set, and I had to let them go. I used welded tabs on the first pair, but like the clamps better. Frames are sanded, and ready for paint, trial fit and paint tomorrow! Eliminating the tabs sure saved a bunch of time! Cutting 24 Tabs, and welding them on was a royal pain! I'm considering making these up, let me know what you think. Just doing Square Tube Prowlers! Aftermarket is drying up!

Attachments

#33 ·
Finished hanging the doors, adjusted the latches, and double checked my jig! All is good! Next is to make and install a blister over the latch, but I'll do that while the paint is drying! LOL

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.